Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Horrible Song

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Horrible Song

Somewhat agree with Vottomatic here, but the fact it's a convicted pedophile makes it impossible for me to get past.

And even if he was pure as a driven snow, the song snippet sucks. Find something different, Reds.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Futhermore, I still miss the organist.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I only get to go to a game or two every year b/c I live so far away but this has always bothered me. I never knew what the song was, I just knew it was terrible. It's usually played in a big situation and it takes my mind off of the game LOL. It makes me not want to cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    As a diehard UD Flyers fan (and season ticket holder), I am used to these discussions about how crappy the arena music/entertainment is. Such is life when talking about the actual games tends to be painful. And when the free pizza/chicken nugget giveaways during time-outs get more of a fan response than any of the pre-game festivities.

[Also: Dayton Dragons games, where the between inning entertainment makes me feel very annoyed and stabby. But nobody cares who wins minor league games, and only 10% of the people there really care about baseball; so you have to let the families and other tourists have their fun, I guess.]

But the Reds are the NL Central defending champs, and favored to win again this year. So what gives? Why is THIS what passes for discourse, people? We have a baseball team worth talking about, dammit!

I know we live in the day and age of iPods and one-to-one marketing and other things that make you feel like you're so very very special and never have to put up with anything that isn't exactly what you like.... but guess what? Not so much. If I were Galactic Emperor of Taste, trust me, there would be many changes. But I'm not. Neither are you. Simmer down.

That said, the sooner anybody stops putting money in Gary Glitter's pockets, the better. I admit that's something that's always bugged me. And it has nothing to do with the art; it has entirely to do with the artist....

Rick
    It's a message board, people get to talk about what they want. If you don't care about the topic, then you simply refrain from responding. And for every thread like this, there are countless others strictly talking baseball.

Who exactly needs to simmer down?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    This song should replace Gary Glitter at all sporting events. Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCP_L2spu7g
    You're kidding, right?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    It's a message board, people get to talk about what they want. If you don't care about the topic, then you simply refrain from responding. And for every thread like this, there are countless others strictly talking baseball.
    Ahhh, the old "hey, everybody's entitled to voice their opinion, so why don't you just shut up?" gambit. A true classic. How could I ever muster a defense against such an air-tight thesis?

Very easily, it turns out. But I'm lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I've never understood why what a rock artist's personal life had to do with their music. If that were true, we should never listen to another Ozzie, Aerosmith, or many other songs.
    I tend to agree with separating the performance from the performer in most standard cases. But I propose that -- while we're sort of turning a blind eye to some celebrity indiscretions -- we're also sort of performing a mental algebra, in which X is the quality of the performance and Y is the crappiness of the performer. The less remarkable your output, the shorter your leash; and the better work you do, the more we can let things slide. Up to a point.

Let's just say Gary Glitter is a statistical outlier. I could expound, but again: lazy.

Rick

PS: to live up to my own standards of discussing baseball on a baseball forum, I'll point out that this is the same calculus that one can use to argue for Pete Rose being in the Hall of Fame. Is Pete kind of a load? Sure. But being an egotistical jackwagon is largely a victimless crime, and is more than offset by the whole "more hits than anybody, ever" thingie.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-21-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I've never understood why what a rock artist's personal life had to do with their music. If that were true, we should never listen to another Ozzie, Aerosmith, or many other songs.

It's simply a song. Get over it.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-900
    I typically agree, but pederasty is one of those things I draw a line in the sand for. On top of that the song is really, really bad. And overplayed in GABP. You can pretty much tell when it's about to play. 0-2 count? Glitter time. Foul tip during a decently long AB? Glitter time. I don't really even mind when they play his more well-known song (mostly seems to get played at NBA games) because the music is tolerable, but this particular song has nothing about it that warrants the spins it gets.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with that link to a yahoo search.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Lotta old people on this board...
    And a few young ones who think incessent noise is something everyone should embrace

Life us incessent noise, baseball used to slow life down a bit.

Somewhere those two producers from The Simpson's show arrived and changed the venues feel

11. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-18-2013),KYRedLeg (04-21-2013),redsfanmia (04-21-2013),Revering4Blue (04-21-2013),terminator (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And a few young ones who think incessent noise is something everyone should embrace

Life us incessent noise, baseball used to slow life down a bit.

Somewhere those two producers from The Simpson's show arrived and changed the venues feel
    I agree, there is something to quite, why are we inadated with music or terrible bass lines at all times?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    This song should replace Gary Glitter at all sporting events. Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCP_L2spu7g
    I like it, and a band from Cincinnati, to boot. Anything but awful Gary Glitter.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I still think they should just bring back the organ, and not some pre-recorded clips. Have an actual organ player playing, at least on Sunday day games.

It's not a young/old thing, it's a baseball tradition that I miss. Quit trying to be cool, MLB. It isn't working.

16. Likes:

919191 (04-22-2013),adampad (04-21-2013),bigredmechanism (04-21-2013),Revering4Blue (04-21-2013),scott91575 (04-21-2013),Yachtzee (04-22-2013)

I wonder if the Reds are even aware of the disdain for this song and the personal background of the artist. I would think that a couple of letters would be enough to get this awful song removed.

On another note: I've been to six games this year and four of them have featured the exact same car race on the big screen, where Gapper throws a bucket of oil on the basepath to wipe out two of the cars and allow Rosie to win. It's simply awful. Do they only have two or three options?

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I wonder if the Reds are even aware of the disdain for this song and the personal background of the artist. I would think that a couple of letters would be enough to get this awful song removed.

On another note: I've been to six games this year and four of them have featured the exact same car race on the big screen, where Gapper throws a bucket of oil on the basepath to wipe out two of the cars and allow Rosie to win. It's simply awful. Do they only have two or three options?
    I don't watch a whole lot of other teams, but I'm pretty sure GABP is the only venue I've ever heard this clip. The sound guy is obviously not a Jocketty signing.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

So Gary Glitter's "Do You Wanna Touch Me" is out fo the question then?

The incessant need to play Dey-O by Harry Belafonte.....what is the reason behind that?
    I hear that all the time.

Take Me Out to the Ball game is no longer the thing to do except in Chicago.
    Everyone needs to stand up and do God Bless America...beacuse that is going to make everyone more patriotic and American than they already are.

I realize this might be a bad time to bring that up....but i almost think it becomes self serving.

20. Likes:

919191 (04-22-2013),bigredmechanism (04-21-2013),Superdude (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I like it, and a band from Cincinnati, to boot. Anything but awful Gary Glitter.
    They've been playing that one after Reds wins for a while now. As a quick aside Foxy puts on one of the best live shows you will ever see.

Turn Off Ads?