Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Votto Choo OBP

  1. #1
    Member Kcbuckeye22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    121

    Votto Choo OBP

    Interesting, MLB.com has Votto 1 and Choo 2 for OBP. BP is 3 on the RBI list. Bruce is 4 in Strike Outs.

    If Bruce makes contact we might see some exciting Reds baseball.

    That's my thought for the day.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,314

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Interesting, MLB.com has Votto 1 and Choo 2 for OBP. BP is 3 on the RBI list. Bruce is 4 in Strike Outs.

    If Bruce makes contact we might see some exciting Reds baseball.

    That's my thought for the day.
    Reds should go out and get an experienced bat for LF. Somebody who is a consistent hitter, even if he's on the downside. Not a star, just a steady, sound hitter.

    Somebody who could serve as fourth outfielder if Ludwick comes back and be a good bat off the bench. Not a big money guy, but somebody who can add some consistency to the lineup.

    They need some more consistency or they will waste all the OBP they are getting from Choo and Votto. This year presents a special opportunity with those two OBP beasts.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    It is amazing, if Ludwick were healthy, and just part of what he was last year, this lineup would be explosive. Missing a legit LF'er is hurting this lineup. Heisey isn't pulling his weight at all. I may rather just go with Robinson for defense and figure whatever happens on offense is a plus.

  5. Likes:

    REDREAD (04-22-2013)

  6. #4
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds should go out and get an experienced bat for LF. Somebody who is a consistent hitter, even if he's on the downside. Not a star, just a steady, sound hitter.

    Somebody who could serve as fourth outfielder if Ludwick comes back and be a good bat off the bench. Not a big money guy, but somebody who can add some consistency to the lineup.

    They need some more consistency or they will waste all the OBP they are getting from Choo and Votto. This year presents a special opportunity with those two OBP beasts.
    Martin Prado style

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,874

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds should go out and get an experienced bat for LF. Somebody who is a consistent hitter, even if he's on the downside. Not a star, just a steady, sound hitter.

    Somebody who could serve as fourth outfielder if Ludwick comes back and be a good bat off the bench. Not a big money guy, but somebody who can add some consistency to the lineup.

    They need some more consistency or they will waste all the OBP they are getting from Choo and Votto. This year presents a special opportunity with those two OBP beasts.
    Two names that come to mind:
    Ibanez? On a Seattle team that's given him 46AB's in 13 games
    Do you really want me to type the name 'Jonny Gomes' in this spot?

  8. #6
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,030

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Two names that come to mind:
    Ibanez? On a Seattle team that's given him 46AB's in 13 games
    Do you really want me to type the name 'Jonny Gomes' in this spot?
    Not sure how soon the Cubs will cash in David Dejesus, but they have Brett Jackson as the big time prospect grooming to play CF, Ryan Sweeney as a stopgap OPSing 1.2000+ in AAA and Julio Borbon just off the waiver wire. David Sappelt is getting the PT against LHP and I'd guess its only a matter of time until Dejesus is dealt off.

    Dejesus would look pretty good in LF and hitting in the 2 hole. Heisey can play against LHP. Theo is looking for stuff he can use down the road, so it may cost some one who hasn't already reached suspect status. Perhaps some one like Ismael Guillon for Dejesus would work. I wouldn't give up much off the big league club or key alternates at AAA, but if they'd take a guy like Arredondo or Ondrusek to even up the money a bit, I'd be all for it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (04-21-2013), REDREAD (04-22-2013)

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Dejesus is a GREAT target, a high OBP guy for 2 hole until ludwick comes back and can spell ludwick on a platoon if he does come back successfully. And no long term promise. Would do that in a heartbeat.

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,088

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure how soon the Cubs will cash in David Dejesus, but they have Brett Jackson as the big time prospect grooming to play CF, Ryan Sweeney as a stopgap OPSing 1.2000+ in AAA and Julio Borbon just off the waiver wire. David Sappelt is getting the PT against LHP and I'd guess its only a matter of time until Dejesus is dealt off.

    Dejesus would look pretty good in LF and hitting in the 2 hole. Heisey can play against LHP. Theo is looking for stuff he can use down the road, so it may cost some one who hasn't already reached suspect status. Perhaps some one like Ismael Guillon for Dejesus would work. I wouldn't give up much off the big league club or key alternates at AAA, but if they'd take a guy like Arredondo or Ondrusek to even up the money a bit, I'd be all for it.
    I would do this (although I'd rather move someone like Sharky Rogers than Guillon). We've both wanted to pry DeJesus loose from the Cubs for a while now.
    Go BLUE!!!

  12. #9
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,030

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would do this (although I'd rather move someone like Sharky Rogers than Guillon). We've both wanted to pry DeJesus loose from the Cubs for a while now.
    I'd rather deal Sharky as well, but Theo is looking for some one with potental to be in the plan down the road and not on the fringe. Guillon offers that chance. I think if they were willing to deal Dejesus for some one like Rogers, he'd have been dealt already for salary relief - maybe last year at the deadline.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #10
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,448

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    I'm hoping that we'll see Mesoraco turn into that other dependable bat over this next month or so that Hanigan is out. How great would it be to get that power plant for the lineup out of the catcher position?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  14. #11
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,345

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure how soon the Cubs will cash in David Dejesus, .
    Great idea. DeJesus got mentioned a lot last year, but he makes a lot more sense this year.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #12
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,235

    Re: Votto Choo OBP

    Good news with Jay is that his OBP is pretty good at 340ish.

    We know he'll hit for power. This bodes well.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25