Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy John for Chad Billingsley

Tommy John for Chad Billingsley

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...n-surgery.html

Tough break for the Dodgers who can't seem to buy a break (pun intended!) these days.

Suddenly the team with an embarrasment of pitching riches has a pitching deficit- both in the rotation and the 'pen. Of course, they also have to win now, and they have Yasiel Puig stuck behind three OF who all have tens of millions of dollars owed to them over the next several years.

So here is my proposal:

Mike Leake, Jonathan Broxton and Yorman Rodriguez to the Dodgers for Yasiel Puig.

Dodgers get a SP and a closer, both under team control for the next 2-3 years.
    Reds get their LF for the next 7 years.

No increased payroll for the Reds.

(I know Broxton can't be traded for another month, but in concept- yay or nay?)
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

remdog (04-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tommy John for Chad Billingsley

Why can't Brox be traded now?

Your trade idea is a dream. Why trade a five tool player for a 5th starter? You'd have to at least include a starter like Bailey, Latos or Cueto or a reliever like Chapman

Tommy John for Chad Billingsley is not a fair trade. While John had the better career and should be in the Hall of Fame, I'd rather have Billingsly going forward.

Oh, wait...
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

Trajinous (04-23-2013)

Why do so many here want to trade Mike Leake? He just pitched his second quality start and fills in the five hole very adequately. Who would take his place? Cingrani? All of his total of 1 major league starts?

I just don't get it. One of the most underrated players on the team, if not the most. It seems as if every trade idea thread includes Leake, like he's some kind of throwaway player.

Oh well, rant over. Please continue.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (04-24-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (04-23-2013)

I'll admit to be someone who mocked them for having 8 starting pitchers heading into the year, but man, I guess 8 wasn't enough.

Greinke is out.
    Billingsley is out.
    Capuano is out.
    Harang was traded.

Kershaw, Beckett, and Ryu remain with Ted Lilly finally returning tomorrow.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Why would the Dodgers do that trade?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why would the Dodgers do that trade?
    Because they'd be getting a SP and a Closer for a player who is blocked on a team built to win now? Both pieces they are receiving are signed for multiple years. Their prospect is blocked by players who are signed for several years and have contracts that are very difficult to move.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Because they'd be getting a SP and a Closer for a player who is blocked on a team built to win now? Both pieces they are receiving are signed for multiple years. Their prospect is blocked by players who are signed for several years and have contracts that are very difficult to move.
    I was talking about Tommy John for Chad Billingsley but Leake and an over priced setup man doesn't have a lot of trade cache either.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I would have to believe they can get better.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I was talking about Tommy John for Chad Billingsley but Leake and an over priced setup man doesn't have a lot of trade cache either.
    Broxton would be the Dodgers closer. And I'd argue that Leake has decent trade value, especially if he keeps pitching like he did the last couple outings.

Especially to a team who currently has 3 major league starters, but carries a $220MM payroll.

I'd offer them any prospect currently in the system outside of Hamilton and Stephenson, along with Leake and Broxton.

If they don't bite, so be it- but no harm in being opportunistic.

Let's remember this is a player with less than 40 professional games (all in the minors) under his belt.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-23-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Tommy John for Chad Billingsley is not a fair trade. While John had the better career and should be in the Hall of Fame, I'd rather have Billingsly going forward.

Oh, wait...
    That was my first thought too. I know Tommy John pitched a long time, but I didn't know he was still active.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

So slight twist - would you do Cingrani, Broxton and Yorman for Puig? Would the Dodgers?
    Go BLUE!!!

Why does anyone think the Dodgers need a closer?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

If the Dodgers are willing to trade Yasiel Puig they will want a starting pitcher who is better then Mike Leake.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I say leave it be...Let the dodgers suffer and hopefully they dont make the playoffs

Turn Off Ads?