Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hanigan to the DL, Corky Miller purchased from AAA, Masset to 60 day

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Hanigan to the DL?

Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Likes:

pahster (04-21-2013),RichRed (04-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Sucks for Hanny, but I'm excited for Mes. You can ignore that pop in his bat for only so long...

The Reds might as well place Masset on the 600-day DL. Does he genuinely have a shot of ever throwing a meaningful pitch again?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Re: Hanigan to the DL, Corky Miller purchased from AAA, Masset to 60 day

Well, a lot of forum members are going to get what they were looking for, Mes catching 4 out pf 5. I'm glad to see Corky get this oppurtunity in what is in all likelihood his last year as a player in this organization. I am kinda wondering which member of the staff he'll catch, Cingrani?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Why are we still paying Masset?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Does he genuinely have a shot of ever throwing a meaningful pitch again?
    Not with us.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

This is a blessing, Devin gets his shot to play every day and Bill gets to be in the bigs as a player again. I really hope Bill gets a shot to manage some day.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Well, a lot of forum members are going to get what they were looking for, Mes catching 4 out pf 5. I'm glad to see Corky get this oppurtunity in what is in all likelihood his last year as a player in this organization. I am kinda wondering which member of the staff he'll catch, Cingrani?
    That would be my guess. He's got the most experience working with him.

The fascination this board and the fan base has with Corky Miller confuses me. the fascination with his mustache confuses me even more. I do not understand.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Signed him to a 2 year deal before last season. $5.5 Million down the toilet.

I thought it was an OK deal at the time. The Reds also signed Arredondo to a 2 year deal before last season and flushed another $1.2 Million this spring. Ondrusek signed a two year deal this year and coould represnt another $1.3 Milion flushing in 2014.

I'm convinced now that run of the mill bullpen arms are a dime a dozen and they aren't worth extending or going to arb with. Special arms like Chapman, Broxton and Marshall may warrant these deals, but I'd be fine with non-tendering the filler every year and bringing in new filler on the cheap.

That said, I considered Masset in the Broxton, Marshall class before last season started.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

remdog (04-22-2013)

Back on topic, its Mes time to shine. Hate to see an injury open the door, but this is really how it happens most of the time. I like Hanigan, but I'm rooting that he comes back in a reduced role with Mes siezing the opportunity.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The fascination this board and the fan base has with Corky Miller confuses me. the fascination with his mustache confuses me even more. I do not understand.
    He is a mans man and that is a man mustache.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Back on topic, its Mes time to shine. Hate to see an injury open the door, but this is really how it happens most of the time. I like Hanigan, but I'm rooting that he comes back in a reduced role with Mes siezing the opportunity.
    I was a big fan of Hanigan 4 years ago and really thought he was underrated. Over the last two years I feel that has changed, and as his offensive skills have eroded with age his press has went up to the point that I now feel he's overrated a bit. His offensive skills have slowly declined, and he's become more Henry Blanco than Joe Mauer (not saying he was ever Mauer).

Catchers who can call a good game and throw well like Blanco/Hanigan aren't too hard to find.

Catchers who can do that and hit, well they are worth their weight in gold.

Catching is such a grind on you, it's just very hard to maintain production as you get into your mid-30s. Plus, Ryan isn't a traditionally built catcher. I just wonder if he hasn't given most of what he had to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Signed extension with Cincinnati 1/25/12.

In short he's got a contract that pays him if he goes home or not

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Signed him to a 2 year deal before last season. $5.5 Million down the toilet.

I thought it was an OK deal at the time. The Reds also signed Arredondo to a 2 year deal before last season and flushed another $1.2 Million this spring. Ondrusek signed a two year deal this year and coould represnt another $1.3 Milion flushing in 2014.

I'm convinced now that run of the mill bullpen arms are a dime a dozen and they aren't worth extending or going to arb with. Special arms like Chapman, Broxton and Marshall may warrant these deals, but I'd be fine with non-tendering the filler every year and bringing in new filler on the cheap.

That said, I considered Masset in the Broxton, Marshall class before last season started.
    The amount of money we have spent (and wasted) in the bullpen since the end of the 2011 season is astounding:

Madson
    Masset
    Ondrusek
    Arredondo
    Marshall
    Broxton
    Chapman

While the bullpen is and has been very strong, IMO we have way too much payroll tied up in the 'pen.

File this is in the very small cabinet of things to complain about relative to all the great successes of this front office, so of course it's all relative.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I was a big fan of Hanigan 4 years ago and really thought he was underrated. Over the last two years I feel that has changed, and as his offensive skills have eroded with age his press has went up to the point that I now feel he's overrated a bit. His offensive skills have slowly declined, and he's become more Henry Blanco than Joe Mauer (not saying he was ever Mauer).

Catchers who can call a good game and throw well like Blanco/Hanigan aren't too hard to find.

Catchers who can do that and hit, well they are worth their weight in gold.

Catching is such a grind on you, it's just very hard to maintain production as you get into your mid-30s. Plus, Ryan isn't a traditionally built catcher. I just wonder if he hasn't given most of what he had to give.
    I had a conversation about this in a game thread a few days back. I've looked at it some more and I'm sorry, but I simply don't see this erosion of his offensive skills. At all.

I'm not looking at his first few weeks this year because it's such a small sample that it can easily be thrown out as a simple slump hampered by the thumb injury.

But seriously, where is this erosion of skills?

Code:

Year   Age   G  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
    2008    27  31  85  9 23  2  0  2   9 10  9 .271 .367 .365 .732
    2009    28  90 251 22 66  6  1  3  11 37 31 .263 .361 .331 .692
    2010    29  70 203 25 61 11  0  5  40 33 21 .300 .405 .429 .834
    2011    30  91 266 27 71  6  0  6  31 35 32 .267 .356 .357 .714
    2012    31 112 317 25 87 14  0  2  24 44 37 .274 .365 .338 .703
    He had a career high in 2010 with the ba, ops. But outside of that he's been pretty much the same guy every year. High obp, decent ba, low slg, great plate discipline, high contact rate. His HR's went down to 2 last season, but his power didn't really decline as he had a career high in doubles.

I'm far from a stat guy, so maybe somebody can show me where this decline is? Somebody (I think it was KC) was pointing towards his splits as showing his decline. If that's the case, wouldn't it also show up in his season totals?

Turn Off Ads?