Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Left field

Re: Left field

I don't understand all the hand wringing over LF. Ludwick was a monster from mid- June on last year, but people for seem to quickly forget he was a .680 OPS bat for the 2+ months prior to that. People for whatever reason just assume he would be a .850+ OPS bat but his career numbers indicated he is all over the place and honestly I think is a complete wild card in what you can expect production wise.

The fact is the Reds lineup is FAR better this year than it was last year even without Ludwick. Now I would love it if they went with a straight platoon with Paul and Heisey in LF but I think they will be fine even if they don't.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Denorfia. hmmm. that name sounds a bit like the guy the Reds once had in AAA who was going to be the next big thing.

I always like Deno. If I recall the Reds basically sold him for ~$1M. Deno is a nice right handed part of a platoon. I don't think he is "the answer" for LF.

I think the Reds will try & hold the fort until Ludwick comes back. If he can't THEN they'll look for help mid season (If Billy H isn't ready)
    Deno would be a terrific pick up for this ballclub. Look at his numbers, extremely consistent, OBP in the last years of .335, .337,. 345, this year so far .393. OPS+ numbers consistently over 100 without the Heisey downturn.

If Ludwick came back healthy, the Reds would be stocked in the outfield, but Choo could be gone after this year, Hamilton might not be ready, there could always be another trade.

If XPaul and Deno were the guys filling in for Ludwick, I'd live with that quite well. Deno is off to a good start, not sure he would be that cheap to acquire.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-23-2013)

Deno makes a lot of sense. Solid player. Wasted on a last place team, more valuable on a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    "I'm not surprised that he hasn't taken off but I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't done better," Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Monday. "But since Heisey has been here, I've sort of spotted him against certain kinds of pitchers. Everybody was hollering that they wanted Heisey to play every day but sometimes, matchups are better than playing against everybody."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

Just wondering: Has Baker ever stuck with a straight platoon at any position? With the Reds or with other teams?

He "spots" guys against "certain kinds of pitchers". Why can't he just stick with a straight platoon instead of using a Tarot card deck?

Say what you want about Heisey, but seriously talk about a vote of confidence from your manager. "I'm not surprised he hasn't done better"? He is batting under .200 and was a former minor league player of the year. I don't know if I have ever heard a manager say that, when his player is in a slump, that's about what I expected.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Say what you want about Heisey, but seriously talk about a vote of confidence from your manager. "I'm not surprised he hasn't done better"? He is batting under .200 and was a former minor league player of the year. I don't know if I have ever heard a manager say that, when his player is in a slump, that's about what I expected.
    Yeah, that was a pretty strange thing to say.

Baker should have PH Paul for Heisey in the 9th.

Maybe Sveum brings in Russell. But you know that even Marmol can't walk Heisey.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Deno would be a terrific pick up for this ballclub. Look at his numbers, extremely consistent, OBP in the last years of .335, .337,. 345, this year so far .393. OPS+ numbers consistently over 100 without the Heisey downturn.

If Ludwick came back healthy, the Reds would be stocked in the outfield, but Choo could be gone after this year, Hamilton might not be ready, there could always be another trade.

If XPaul and Deno were the guys filling in for Ludwick, I'd live with that quite well. Deno is off to a good start, not sure he would be that cheap to acquire.
    Posted this elsewhere, but if you use BR's hitting stats neutralizer, Denorfia looks incredible out of PETCO. He's a .800-.850 OPS bat out of there the past couple years, and that's just in a neutral park. In GABP, he could be even better.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

BTW, Deno is totally who Chris Heisey wishes he was.

If the Reds would re-acquire Chris Denorfia, my fear is that Redszone would melt down from all the hot, gooey, love.

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-24-2013),pahster (04-25-2013),RedsManRick (04-24-2013),remdog (04-25-2013)

"I have to match X against a guy throwing hard," Baker said. "It's just my opinion on what I think their strengths and weaknesses are. That's my job. I've been at it a long time. I recognize who they probably will hit and who they won't."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

That's odd....I could have sworn that I've seen Paul hit a breaking ball or two.

I guess that was just a fantasy.

Only problem is Heisey is a dead red fastball hitter. So if he matches Paul against hard throwers who is he matching Heisey against?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Only problem is Heisey is a dead red fastball hitter. So if he matches Paul against hard throwers who is he matching Heisey against?
    Relievers
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It's still early folks:

2012: Ludwick 71 ABs .184
    2013: Heisey 71 ABs .183

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    It's still early folks:

2012: Ludwick 71 ABs .184
    2013: Heisey 71 ABs .183
    I have a rule: I never project stats for one player based on the stats of another.

For instance:
    Kal Daniels (first 3 seasons, 322g, age 22-24): .311/.408/.527/.935
    Barry Bonds (first 3 seasons, 407g, age 21-23): .258/.343/.471/.814
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I have a rule: I never project stats for one player based on the stats of another.

For instance:
    Kal Daniels (first 3 seasons, 322g, age 22-24): .311/.408/.527/.935
    Barry Bonds (first 3 seasons, 407g, age 21-23): .258/.343/.471/.814
    I have the same rule, just pointing out that it is not panick time yet. Heisey's done a good job at every level. Give him a couple more weeks before throwin in the towell.

19. Likes:

remdog (04-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?