Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Left field

Left field

Obviously the injury to Ludwick was unfortunate. Neither Paul or Heisey are productive over time. They are what they are, bench players. Useful but exposed with regular time. Hamilton needs more time. Does Frazier move their with hannahan playing 3rd or does Walt look outside?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Left field

Jack Hannahan is not the answer to anything.

He is a much worse hitter than Heisey or Paul.

4. Likes:

Redeyecat (04-23-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I think it'll take trading away an important piece or two to get a left fielder who is a significant upgrade over Paul/Heisey. I don't think that's worth it. As long as they're platooning in the 7 or 8 hole, I think we just have to live with it.

That said, if Ludwick's rehab doesn't go well, or it looks like he's not going to be at full strength this year at all, you may have to look at trading a chip or two for a replacement.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

6. Likes:

mth123 (04-21-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I honestly like X. Paul playing against righties.

Frankly, this team is getting more base hits than in the past. Seems like in past years everyone was swinging for the fence. Now guys are doing what it takes to get the run in, etc.

I'm not saying Paul is the long term answer. But nor do I see him as some kind of huge liability. I'm liking him better than Heisey. And I used to be a big fan of Chris's.

Edit: And if Ludwick isn't going to be healthy enough to return, I see the team making a trade at the deadline.

Paul had a rough day today, but then came alive in the big inning. I think he's a good fill-in against righties.

Having said that, if the Reds could get a veteran LF who hits pretty well, I'd hope they go for it.

Thing is, with Choo and Votto this year presents a unique opportunity. Would hate to lose it because of injuries.

We saw today how important XPaul's hit was in the seventh inning. With Choo and Votto, it's key to have a decent bat in the two spot. Maybe XMan is the guy, but I'd like to see another steady hitter, even a veteran on the downside for the rest of this year.

Just don't see Heisey filling the role and D Robinson is more of a fifth outfielder type who helps out with speed and defense.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'm firmly in the Xavier Paul vs. RHP camp.

Heisey is on a Stubbsesque decline.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-21-2013)

There are no good answers to this question. Left field is a hole, and it's likely to be a hole much of the season unless Ludwick is able to return successfully. Being that he has a shoulder injury, I'm a bit worried about his power potential this year even after he returns. I imagine the Reds will send Ludwick on a rehab assignment for at least a chunk of games, and it'll be interesting to see how well he drives the ball once he's seeing live pitching again.

Heisey and Paul are what they are. The best we can hope for is playing the matchups, burying them at the bottom of the lineup and at least being happy with the solid glove work they'll provide.

Of course, another problem with the Ludwick injury is the second spot in the batting order; if Cozart's hitting there, then that spot will also be a hole. Sure, Cozart's got fine career numbers hitting second so far, but Zack Cozart is Zack Cozart (read: .285 lifetime OBP) and given enough time hitting second he'll turn into Zack Cozart in that spot of the lineup too. Just watch and wait - it'll happen. Right now Choo's been on such a tear that it lessens the pain, but I also doubt Choo will get on base at a .500 clip the entire year too.

The one lone hope we might have is if Mesoraco does fairly well, then perhaps Dusty might think about sliding Frazier into the second spot and Mez hitting 6th. That'd push Cozart and Heisey/Paul back down to the bottom where they belong. Of course, the odds of that happening are slim so I won't even waste brain space thinking about it.

And Ludwick needs his power stroke - hopefully the shoulder injury doesn't impact it as much as it could.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-21-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Count me in.

My guess is the LF plan is to keep shuffling through the current options and then see where everything stands on Memorial Day.

At that point they should have a clearer idea of what (if anything) Ludwick might provide this season. Hamilton will have two months of AAA under his belt. And Paul/Heisey/Robinson will have succeeded or failed to hold down the position.

My guess is the Reds aren't going to panic on this, certainly not as long as the team is playing decent baseball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (04-23-2013),remdog (04-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is the LF plan is to keep shuffling through the current options and then see where everything stands on Memorial Day.

At that point they should have a clearer idea of what (if anything) Ludwick might provide this season. Hamilton will have two months of AAA under his belt. And Paul/Heisey/Robinson will have succeeded or failed to hold down the position.

My guess is the Reds aren't going to panic on this, certainly not as long as the team is playing decent baseball.
    Agree with this. And that could also coincide with Cueto's return to the rotation, and a decision point with Cingrani/Leake. Those events may be related, especially if Hamilton isn't ready and Heisey/Paul continue to struggle.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with this. And that could also coincide with Cueto's return to the rotation, and a decision point with Cingrani/Leake. Those events may be related, especially if Hamilton isn't ready and Heisey/Paul continue to struggle.
    There is no Cingrani/Leake thing IMO.

Reds consider Leake a solid part of the rotation.

Cingrani is poised to take over for, probably, Arroyo next season after Bronson's contract ends.

As for left field, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds pick up someone who is not expensive and is a "professional hitter". It wouldn't be a "panic move" as someone suggested.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

Cosign x100.

I was at the game today and was just coming to the board to start a thread I was going to title "How close is Xavier Paul from taking the LF job from Heisey until Ludwick gets back?" Might as well add my thoughts here instead of starting a new thread.

Paul should DEFINITELY be the "everyday" starter against RHP. I don't know how that's even debatable at this point. And if you're worried about his D, he made a darn good play near the wall in the third inning and always seems to hold his own as an outfielder. Not worried about his D and I like his stick. I bet we'll see a lot more of the X Man for the next several weeks.

I wouldn't want to trade Leake for a short-term LF solution and I'm not the biggest Leake fan in the world. Having six capable starters is more valuable than whatever upgrade Walt could find over Paul/Heisey for the next couple of months.

20. Likes:

mth123 (04-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Cosign x100.

I was at the game today and was just coming to the board to start a thread I was going to title "How close is Xavier Paul from taking the LF job from Heisey until Ludwick gets back?" Might as well add my thoughts here instead of starting a new thread.

Paul should DEFINITELY be the "everyday" starter against RHP. I don't know how that's even debatable at this point. And if you're worried about his D, he made a darn good play near the wall in the third inning and always seems to hold his own as an outfielder. Not worried about his D and I like his stick. I bet we'll see a lot more of the X Man for the next several weeks.
    After he made that catch, me andto the guys that I was sitting with all decided that was not a ball that Ludwick catches. I love Paul on this team. If another option is obtained down the road because Ludwick is out longer, I think Heisey goes before Xman.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I wouldn't want to trade Leake for a short-term LF solution and I'm not the biggest Leake fan in the world. Having six capable starters is more valuable than whatever upgrade Walt could find over Paul/Heisey for the next couple of months.
    Completely agree. They can get a veteran without trading that IMO. There just won't be anyone available until at least June and more likely July IMO. By then, Ludwick may be back or Hamilton may be ready. I might even be up for giving Donald Lutz a look at that point as long as he hits in AA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

WildcatFan (04-21-2013)

Turn Off Ads?