Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Re-sign Choo?

Winning is fun.

Re: Re-sign Choo?

Cot's has the Reds payroll around $107 million for this year. Without Choo or Arroyo and taking guesses at arbitration raises, I have the payroll right around $100 million for next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think we have about a 0% chance of getting Bailey back after 2014. That makes resigning Choo to a long term contract more feasible.

Perfect Scenerio.....

Choo continues to Love it here in Cincy.
    He fires Boras for being an ******* and an idiot
    He signs to stay here because he loves it so much

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well.......now that you have me looking at Cot's, a few observations.

1. Masset's $3.1M comes off the books next season.
    2. They have Arroyo at $16.5M with his bonus. That comes off.
    3. Things change in terms of roster's. Reds may decide they don't need Ludwick and/or Broxton. IF and that's a big IF, they could trade either or both, that is a savings of $15.5M (Broxton $7M, Ludwick $8.5M).

That's around $35M in savings.

But Bailey is arbitration eligible again.
    Cueto's contract is up after next season then he's a FA.
    Latos is signed through next season and then arbitration eligible again.
    Chapman has a final option in 2015.

This team could look very different in 2016.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

3. Things change in terms of roster's. Reds may decide they don't need Ludwick and/or Broxton. IF and that's a big IF, they could trade either or both, that is a savings of $15.5M (Broxton $7M, Ludwick $8.5M).

That's around $35M in savings.

But Bailey is arbitration eligible again.
    Cueto's contract is up after next season then he's a FA.
    Latos is signed through next season and then arbitration eligible again.
    Chapman has a final option in 2015.

This team could look very different in 2016.
    Cueto (assuming health) has a no-brainer option for 2015. Chapman is under control till 2016 or 2017 (I'm too lazy to look)...not 2015.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

At some point we're going to have to address Sam LeCure I think.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

#3 just isn't something you can assume. With Luddy coming off such a bad injury, no way he would be tradeable.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Cueto (assuming health) has a no-brainer option for 2015. Chapman is under control till 2016 or 2017 (I'm too lazy to look)...not 2015.
    So do we believe you or Cot's?

Cot's list 2015 as an option year for Chapman and then a FA in 2016.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

So do we believe you or Cot's?

Cot's list 2015 as an option year for Chapman and then a FA in 2016.
    Believe me my friend, you will never go wrong.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I like LeCure, but he's the very definition of fungible -- failed #5s are a dime a dozen.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    #3 just isn't something you can assume. With Luddy coming off such a bad injury, no way he would be tradeable.
    Hence the words "that's a big IF".

My point being, say Ludwick becomes healthy but Frazier and Bruce emerge as legit cleanup candidates. And "what if" Hamilton hits .330 at Louisville and is pushing to be added to the major league starting lineup? Lot's of "if's" and "but's", but plenty of things can change as the season goes on and into next season.

"What if" Hoover makes Broxton expendable? What if some other contender needs a closer due to a major injury to theirs and makes an offer Walt can't refuse?

As is constantly pointed out on Redszone, it's a long season and plenty can change.

Believe me my friend, you will never go wrong.
    I think I speak for all of us when I say......

HUH?

I think I speak for all of us when I say......

HUH?
    Reread your question to me in the previous post...I simply answered it.

By the way Chapman is under control until after 2016.

Reread your question to me in the previous post...I simply answered it.

By the way Chapman is under control until after 2016.
    I checked baseball-reference.com and for Chapman, he has $5M player option in 2015 which he'll probably decline. And then he has 2 years of arbitration 2015 (after declining option unless he's coming off injury or something to make him worth less) and 2016. Free agent in 2017.

Thanks, You.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Good point. Hopefully the fact that he's a non-galomorous middle innning guy, he won't get too much cash (Sorry if you are reading this Sam, we love you, want to keep you around )

Several guys have said that LeCure is one of the best relievers that the league has never heard of. I could see him stepping into the setup role eventually. In all honesty, I like him better than Hoover right now.. Not a slam on Hoover, I just think LeCure is a better pitcher right now.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?