Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Re-sign Choo?

Re: Re-sign Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I checked baseball-reference.com and for Chapman, he has $5M player option in 2015 which he'll probably decline. And then he has 2 years of arbitration 2015 (after declining option unless he's coming off injury or something to make him worth less) and 2016. Free agent in 2017.

Thanks, You.
    This is only if Chapman had spent a lot of time in the minors. Once Chapman is eligible for Arbitration (after this season) the rest of his contract converts from salary to signing bonus and he becomes an arb eligible case TBD. He can't leave for fre agency, but his contract is essentially over (with no cost savings) after this season and the Reds will need to pay arb driven rates.

■6 years/$30.25M (2010-15)
    ■signed by Cincinnati as an amateur free agent 1/11/10
    ■$16.25M signing bonus ($1.5M at signing; $1.5M each Nov. 1, 2010-13; $1.25M each Nov. 1, 2014-20)
    ■10:$1M, 11:$1M, 12:$2M, 13:$2M, 14:$3M, 15:$5M player option
    ■Chapman must decide whether to accept or decline 2015 player option within 5 days after end of 2014 World Series
    ■if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2012, $5M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible
    ■if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2013, $3M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ncinnati-reds/

Chapman is going to cost a lot more than $3 Million in 2014. I'd guess near $10 Million.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Chapman is going to cost a lot more than $3 Million in 2014. I'd guess near $10 Million.
    All the more reason why we gotta figure out how to move Broxton and Ludwick if this thread question is going to come true.
    Go BLUE!!!

Chapman closing will save the Reds money.

What does an elite closer go for? 15 million a year?

So following the 40/60/80 model he would be due around 6 million in 2014. If he got 10 million in 2014 that would make him a 25 million a year player on a worth basis. Based on his usage and performance so far I don't see him coming close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Chapman closing will save the Reds money.

What does an elite closer go for? 15 million a year?

So following the 40/60/80 model he would be due around 6 million in 2014. If he got 10 million in 2014 that would make him a 25 million a year player on a worth basis. Based on his usage and performance so far I don't see him coming close to that.
    He still gets the $3 Million he would have gotten as well plus his already committed annual $1.25 deferred signing bonus paid each November. Gotta count all the cash.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

This thread is a glaring reminder to me that I need to enjoy this season and next year as well. Who knows how long this window will be open (I tend to think it will be open for a while, but we'll see).

My goodness is it WIDE open right now. We're lookin' good. But yes, we're not going to be able to keep all these stud players past 2014. There will be some extremely tough decisions that will have to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He still gets the $3 Million he would have gotten as well plus his already committed annual $1.25 deferred signing bonus paid each November. Gotta count all the cash.
    So would the 3 MM bonus count towards 2013 or 2014 if you are the Reds CPA as it looks like it is paid in 2013? Not that it matters much.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This thread is a glaring reminder to me that I need to enjoy this season and next year as well. Who knows how long this window will be open (I tend to think it will be open for a while, but we'll see).

My goodness is it WIDE open right now. We're lookin' good. But yes, we're not going to be able to keep all these stud players past 2014. There will be some extremely tough decisions that will have to be made.
    I said it somewhere, maybe in this thread, that the Reds roster could seriously look a lot different in 2016.

A lot really depends on the next TV contract.

And a lot of these current and near future player contracts could look good when the money really starts flowing to all teams from future TV revenues.

Turn Off Ads?