Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds left field issue--minors question

Re: Reds left field issue--minors question

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Also Lutz is not slow from what I hear.
    That's another upside to him I wasn't aware of.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if it would be worth sending Lutz to AAA to see if he can handle the bump? He's had over 200 plate appearances in AA so it wouldn't be rushing him per se (almost as many as he had the whole time at A+). And while he was late to start playing the game, he is 24 years old so he wouldn't be too young for the league.

We could clearly use his help in LF if he can in fact help. Why not give him an intermediate step test to see if he can?
    Go BLUE!!!

I wonder if it would be worth sending Lutz to AAA to see if he can handle the bump? He's had over 200 plate appearances in AA so it wouldn't be rushing him per se (almost as many as he had the whole time at A+). And while he was late to start playing the game, he is 24 years old so he wouldn't be too young for the league.

We could clearly use his help in LF if he can in fact help. Why not give him an intermediate step test to see if he can?
    I could go for that but maybe see if he can get the batting average up a tick first but then again he is leading the league in homers. I mean a 6 7 and 8 of Frazier Mez and Lutz could look awfully scary in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I could go for that but maybe see if he can get the batting average up a tick first but then again he is leading the league in homers. I mean a 6 7 and 8 of Frazier Mez and Lutz could look awfully scary in Cincinnati.
    I'm not sure who would be scared, the opposition or the Reds.

I'm voting for Jesse Winker for LF. He's hot now, bring him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not sure who would be scared, the opposition or the Reds.

I'm voting for Jesse Winker for LF. He's hot now, bring him up.
    are you serious, even at the most optimistic and aggressive development, Winker wont be up til September 2014.

Thats only assuming he does well enough in Dayton to get a promotion this summer and skips Bakersfield and that's being extremely optimistic. More likely you are looking at least September 2015 or 2016 and even that is assuming he doesn't hit a bump in his path.

Winker won't be ready for years. Heisey batting on the interstate and popping everything up is scary enough right now. He's a role player and needs to be used as such. Inside the organization lutz and Hamilton are the best options. A d a 6 7 and 8 of Frazier Mez and Lutz would offer more power than any other 6 7 and 8 I could think of off the top of my head. Would I rather see an experienced major leaguer brought in....for the right price sure, but this thread is about minor league options, and while winker may be a stud in 3 years, right now it's not his time

Winker won't be ready for years. Heisey batting on the interstate and popping everything up is scary enough right now. He's a role player and needs to be used as such. Inside the organization lutz and Hamilton are the best options. A d a 6 7 and 8 of Frazier Mez and Lutz would offer more power than any other 6 7 and 8 I could think of off the top of my head. Would I rather see an experienced major leaguer brought in....for the right price sure, but this thread is about minor league options, and while winker may be a stud in 3 years, right now it's not his time
    Heisey is awful. Its a pop out the majority of the time he is up. Send him on his way wherever that may be

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeebee21 View Post
    are you serious, even at the most optimistic and aggressive development, Winker wont be up til September 2014.

Thats only assuming he does well enough in Dayton to get a promotion this summer and skips Bakersfield and that's being extremely optimistic. More likely you are looking at least September 2015 or 2016 and even that is assuming he doesn't hit a bump in his path.
    No, I'm not serious.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-25-2013)

Lutz did just fine playing as a 22-23 year old in single-A. He has been a disaster ever since getting promoted to AA and playing against guys his own age. Don't let a few HR in a small sample fool you. He's batting 231 with a 312 OBP since being promoted late last season, and while his 10 HR appear tantalizing, his 20:51 K:BB ratio in 237 PA's is not.

Chris Heisey is a MUCH better baseball player than Donald Lutz at this point, and IMO is likely to stay that way. Aside from their age, I don't see much difference between Lutz and Mike Hessman. Would anyone advocate the Reds calling up Hessman and sticking him in LF?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Lutz did just fine playing as a 22-23 year old in single-A. He has been a disaster ever since getting promoted to AA and playing against guys his own age. Don't let a few HR in a small sample fool you. He's batting 231 with a 312 OBP since being promoted late last season, and while his 10 HR appear tantalizing, his 20:51 K:BB ratio in 237 PA's is not.

Chris Heisey is a MUCH better baseball player than Donald Lutz at this point, and IMO is likely to stay that way. Aside from their age, I don't see much difference between Lutz and Mike Hessman. Would anyone advocate the Reds calling up Hessman and sticking him in LF?
    Lutz has room to improve. Hessman doesn't. He'd be an emergency call up like miller. I say lets give lutz some time before we move him up. See if be can increase the average and obp. Heisey and Paul are just stop gals in the majors. At some point a move needs made. And lutz is a guy that dusty is high on and an in house solution.

Lutz has room to improve. Hessman doesn't. He'd be an emergency call up like miller. I say lets give lutz some time before we move him up. See if be can increase the average and obp. Heisey and Paul are just stop gals in the majors. At some point a move needs made. And lutz is a guy that dusty is high on and an in house solution.
    I agree that Lutz has a much brighter future than Hessman, but we aren't talking about the future here. We are talking about the present, and right now, Lutz is a poor man's Mike Hessman.

I think there is a serious possibility that Lutz takes Heisey's roster spot in 2015, but it ain't 2015 yet. The 2013 version of Lutz is in not even close to being ready to play in the major leagues.

I agree that Lutz has a much brighter future than Hessman, but we aren't talking about the future here. We are talking about the present, and right now, Lutz is a poor man's Mike Hessman.

I think there is a serious possibility that Lutz takes Heisey's roster spot in 2015, but it ain't 2015 yet. The 2013 version of Lutz is in not even close to being ready to play in the major leagues.
    I totally see that. Right now the reds need a stop gap until ludwick can return or Walt makes a deal to get someone in a trade. Heisey and Paul aren't cutting it. Who would you look for as an internal answer? In my eyes it's Hamilton lutz and Perez.

I totally see that. Right now the reds need a stop gap until ludwick can return or Walt makes a deal to get someone in a trade. Heisey and Paul aren't cutting it. Who would you look for as an internal answer? In my eyes it's Hamilton lutz and Perez.
    Like it or not, I think Heisey and Paul are the best of the bunch in 2013. We're most likely stuck with them until the All-Star break. I wouldn't even bother calling up legit prospects who still have a lot to prove in the minor leagues. The only other option I see is to call up older guys like Perez or Phipps from Louisville and roll the dice on them getting hot for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 04-24-2013 at 08:25 PM.

Like it or not, I think Heisey and Paul are the best of the bunch in 2013. We're most likely stuck with them until the All-Star break. I wouldn't even bother calling up legit prospects who still have a lot to prove in the minor leagues. The only other option I see is to call up older guys like Perez or Phipps from Louisville and roll the dice on them getting hot for a few weeks.
    Realistically, you're probably correct. An outside the box thought may be to move Frazier to left and maybe find a way to bring up Donald or Hrod and platoon them and hannahan at third.

Is Scott Rolen a possibility anymore? He could play 3rd, and Frazier play left. I have heard nothing about him at this point, so I assume it would be an extreme long shot at best.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Turn Off Ads?