Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds left field issue--minors question

Reds left field issue--minors question

Any minor leaguers who people think could help at the big league level? Were the Reds correct to bring up Derrick Robinson? Is Heisey/Paul/Robinson the best they can do within the system?
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-21-2013 at 05:51 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds left field issue--minors question

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Is Heisey/Paul/Robinson the best they can do within the system?
    Yep. Outside of Hamilton making a miraculous push, it isn't gonna get any better.

Donald Lutz is the guy to watch IMO. He won't be ready until Summer is in full swing, but if he continues to rake, he could merit a call up from AA.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Any minor leaguers who people think could help at the big league level? Were the Reds correct to bring up Derrick Robinson? Is Heisey/Paul/Robinson the best they can do within the system?
    Hard to say if he's much of an upgrade, and he's certainly not much of a prospect (he's 28), but Felix Perez has hit a little bit in Louisville. In 55 ABs this year, he's putting up a .300/.364/.520 line, after last year's .301/.348/.401 in 400+ ABs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I still think people are sleeping a little too much no Xavier Paul. Yes, his major league history prior to 2012 was poor, but he has CRUSHED AAA since he was 23. Every year. With some patience and a little bit of power. When he went to the Majors, his plate discipline he showed in the minors never followed. With the Reds, it has. I don't think he is a guy I would plan on being an option for years, but as a guy to fill in for my starter who went down, I think he could be the best bet.

7. Likes:

Kc61 (04-21-2013),malcontent (04-24-2013)

I still think people are sleeping a little too much no Xavier Paul.
    I agree. I'd like to see what he could do with some regular ABs. I like him in the 2 hole better than Cozart.

9. Likes:

mace (04-21-2013)

I agree with Doug on XMan.

Anyone have a read on Paul's defense? I know he made a good play today.

Last season I got the feeling he wasn't a good defender, but maybe I was hasty on that. Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Donald Lutz is the guy to watch IMO. He won't be ready until Summer is in full swing, but if he continues to rake, he could merit a call up from AA.
    I'm a pretty big Lutz fan, as is dusty. I think he could offer some serious power potential. Idk how well he plays the outfield, but I like his swing. Seems compact for a big guy and can generate tons of power. I'd love to see him get a shot before the reds try to maybe trade for a left fielder. For some odd reason I get the hunch that he will be a better player in the majors than the minors. I have no evidence to back it up but just a gut feeling.

What kind of slash line do people think is sustainable for X. Paul in a full-time gig? I have a hard time seeing anything better than .270/.330/.430 upside. That's certainly nothing to dismiss, but I'm curious if people are expecting more than that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    What kind of slash line do people think is sustainable for X. Paul in a full-time gig? I have a hard time seeing anything better than .270/.330/.430 upside. That's certainly nothing to dismiss, but I'm curious if people are expecting more than that.
    I'd take that from Paul. I'd rather see him and heisey as a fill in until a long term solution can be found. I see he and heisey as a few steps above AAAA players. They are definite big leaguers, but are best used as pinch hitters or as spot starters when you can give them a matchup they can exploit. Start them too long and their weaknesses will start showing. They are great pieces to have though.

I see Lutz as a short term guy. No question he has power, but does he have anything else? OBP skills? Can he even catch a flyball? Sounds like a future RedsZone whipping boy to me.

Most of your legit prospects are at least three years away - thinking Winker.

One other thing to keep an eye on. There might be a current 1B in the minors who may be a candidate to move to LF. Votto is entrenched at 1B for the next ten years, and the minor league guys like D'Anna, Buckley, and Soto are either going to have to change positions or end up as trade bait. It would seem to me that the younger guys ought to at least shag a few fly balls out there to see if they have any aptitude to play the position.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I see Lutz as a short term guy. No question he has power, but does he have anything else? OBP skills? Can he even catch a flyball? Sounds like a future RedsZone whipping boy to me.

One other thing to keep an eye on. There might be a current 1B in the minors who may be a candidate to move to LF. Votto is entrenched at 1B for the next ten years, and the minor league guys like D'Anna, Buckley, and Soto are either going to have to change positions or end up as trade bait. It would seem to me that the younger guys ought to at least shag a few fly balls out there to see if they have any aptitude to play the position.
    I suggested Soto for LF in a recent thread. It wasn't met with great acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

Litzy obp at AA is .355. Ill take that. The reds have on base guys. Choo and votto now and Hamilton in the future. They need a legit RBI guy. I'm not saying it will be lutz but he has that type of profile. His D would concern me the most. Anyone have a scouting report or anything on him in LF

Lutz....stupid auto correct

Also Lutz is not slow from what I hear.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?