Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Kearns and what should've been

Re: Austin Kearns and what should've been

To be fair, Kearns never even had a full season with the Reds to hang his hat on. 05 was okay in between the whole getting sent down to AAA ordeal and he seemed poised to take a big step forward in 06 based on his first half, but by that point most Reds fans and the front office saw him only as trade bait. I think his career may have turned out quite differently had we not traded him when we did. Not that he would have turned into the superstar people thought he'd be, but I think he could have at least been around the Cody Ross level.

I, for one, still root for the guy to this day.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

remdog (04-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

My 1999 Bowman Chrome Austin Kearns Rookie Card that I paid $20 for in 2002 and now can't give away, says he's a disappointment.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    With Kearns, I think it was largely injuries: See THIS LINK.

I keep hearing this BS about Kearns and Dunn being "lazy", and I'm sick of it. There may be truth to it or not, but none of that seems to come from any of the other organizations that these guys played for. It's all just bare rumor. I'd like to see actual coaches or staff that can back up that they wouldn't listen or work as hard as they should have. I haven't seen the direct evidence, and unless I do, I'm not buying.

Lot's of top prospects just don't pan out. Kearns had injuries, and Dunn became a 'three true outcomes' player, with 400+ HRs. That is what I see. Our expectations, fed by Jim Bowden's hyping of his draft picks, were just too high.
    I agree. People just believe what they want to believe.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I, for one, still root for the guy to this day.
    I do too.

Confession: I almost nearly always root for ex-Reds, including Kearns.

I'm not sure why? Once a Red, always part Red, I guess.

7. Likes:

TeamBoone (04-23-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I do too.

Confession: I almost nearly always root for ex-Reds, including Kearns.

I'm not sure why? Once a Red, always part Red, I guess.
    I don't think that's odd at all. Most former Reds get a polite applause when they get introduced during pre game. As opposed to the complete apathy (or boos if you are a Card or Cub) most get.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I'm not casting judgment on what caused it, but he did get out of shape toward the end of his run with the Reds, and I think that has a direct correlation with injury problems for many players.

He seemed to be primed to get back on track a couple of years later, but lost his hitting eye. I thought he'd always be a .285 to .300 guy with a good OBP.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Look at how bad Dunn was/is on defense and what has happened to him in Chicago, and it's kind of hard to say he isn't lazy. Living in Chicago, many people think he's lazy too. He all but admitted to it when he had his historically bad year here his first year. You can't say you don't pick up a bat in the offseason and then say he's not lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I keep hearing this BS about Kearns and Dunn being "lazy", and I'm sick of it. There may be truth to it or not, but none of that seems to come from any of the other organizations that these guys played for. It's all just bare rumor. I'd like to see actual coaches or staff that can back up that they wouldn't listen or work as hard as they should have. I haven't seen the direct evidence, and unless I do, I'm not buying.
    Dunn's lazy mb...good dude, but lazy.

I'm somewhat in the middle here.

Yes, injuries were clearly a factor. But I also think Dunn's laziness rubbed off on Kearns.

Well, to be fair, Dunn may not be lazy. He might be the hardest working golfer this side of Tiger Woods. But he is one of the laziest baseball players I have ever followed. I just don't think he cares about baseball, frankly. It's just a very high paying job to him that he can do with little or no effort. And it shows.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Ugh

14. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (04-22-2013),pahster (04-22-2013),Raisor (04-22-2013)

Lot's of top prospects just don't pan out. Kearns had injuries, and Dunn became a 'three true outcomes' player, with 400+ HRs. That is what I see. Our expectations, fed by Jim Bowden's hyping of his draft picks, were just too high.
    It has been out there. Plenty of anecdotal evidence, especially for Dunn. Denying it at this point is like denying Bonds ever used steroids because he never failed a drug test and shouting "show me the proof." If you want to be willfully ignorant of their lack of work ethic, that's fine. But it's more than bare rumor.

Considering where this team has been, and where they are now, it's a bit depressing seeing two dedicated "lazy threads" for Adam Dunn & Austin Kearns at the top of ORG.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    Considering where this team has been, and where they are now, it's a bit depressing seeing two dedicated "lazy threads" for Adam Dunn & Austin Kearns at the top of ORG.

Yep, jilted boyfriend syndrome all over this thread

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post

I was going to start a D'Angelo Jiminez thread next.

I bet Kearns spent to much time sitting in Dunn and Griffeys recliners.

i just betcha he got lazy that way.

Its contagious ya know.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-22-2013),Tom Servo (04-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?