Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: best current Reds lineup

Re: best current Reds lineup

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Robinson to be productive. Unless you think you look good in blue.
    I'm not expecting Robinson to be productive. He's a career minor leaguer for a reason. I think his speed could provide a spark that could help jump start the offense for a few games. I really don't seem him pulling a Stubbs and swinging for the fences. Hell stay within his skillset and lay down a few bunts slap a single and use his speed to pressure the defense. I know cozart and heisey aren't as bad as they are playing right now, but right now they aren't getting it done in the two spot. Nothing wrong with trying to get a quick spark from a bench player until they get back on track.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Robinson to be productive. Unless you think you look good in blue.
    I think our definition of productive is different too. You're thinking in terms if putting up huge numbers. I'm thinking of in terms of what can this player do to make the team more productive as a whole. I'd be delusional to think Robinson had the talent of Stubbs or could put up a Stubbs 2010 season. But I think I'd be correct in saying he could help this team be productive in the two spot right now. There is a Grand Canyon sized hole between choo and votto. No one is consistently hitting between them or even getting them over. The spot in the lineup is causing the lineup to be less productive. Stick Robinson there. He won't be swinging for the fences like heisey or trying to yank e wry thing like cozart. Hell be trying to get choo over and using his speed to get on or pressure the defense. He'd build a bridge between choo and votto in the lineup that's now vacant. He could get choo over for votto to drive in, if not get on with his speed too. And if he gets out and they walk votto, it'll give Phillips more RBI chances. By doing those things he could make this offense more productive than it currently is at least for the short term. Do I think he'll be a long term fixture or ever put up huge numbers? Probably not. Could I see him being a productive addition to the lineup in the short term. Yes.

4. Likes:

coachpipe (04-29-2013)

Nice analysis, David. Why not give Robinson a week to 10 days in the 2-spot?

Old school 1983 -- you must know a little something about the game to be able to spot swing tendencies! I don't profess to know anything that detailed about hitting, but the way some of our guys are doing, I hope they read this forum and it helps. If so, they should track you down for some type of comp. :-)

On the pitching side, nice to see Marshall back, hope it's for a while and his shoulder holds. I know for years I've felt our overall lack of success was due to a lack of pitching, both starting and relieving (fill in the name of most MLB teams there). We'll we've got some decent pitchers now especially with the young kid (23) Cingrani in there doing fine. If he keeps that up, he'll be pushing Latos for my starting lineup spot. I got a chance to watch him a bit on MLB yesterday for the first time. Nice. The announcers kept saying how effortless he is, that the ball just pops.

We can't have both pitching and hitting at once, I guess, but it sure would be nice to have some of that hitting from the "old" days of mid-1970s when we just beat guys senseless. My wife being a Cubs fan (poor misguided soul, she did not like the Marshall trade), I do fondly recall a game from that era when we're down 10-0 early at Wrigley and came back and beat them. They weren't quitters, but our current team I think gives a very good effort as well.

Best to our guys vs. the Cards tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredsfan View Post
    Nice analysis, David. Why not give Robinson a week to 10 days in the 2-spot?

Old school 1983 -- you must know a little something about the game to be able to spot swing tendencies! I don't profess to know anything that detailed about hitting, but the way some of our guys are doing, I hope they read this forum and it helps. If so, they should track you down for some type of comp. :-)

On the pitching side, nice to see Marshall back, hope it's for a while and his shoulder holds. I know for years I've felt our overall lack of success was due to a lack of pitching, both starting and relieving (fill in the name of most MLB teams there). We'll we've got some decent pitchers now especially with the young kid (23) Cingrani in there doing fine. If he keeps that up, he'll be pushing Latos for my starting lineup spot. I got a chance to watch him a bit on MLB yesterday for the first time. Nice. The announcers kept saying how effortless he is, that the ball just pops.

We can't have both pitching and hitting at once, I guess, but it sure would be nice to have some of that hitting from the "old" days of mid-1970s when we just beat guys senseless. My wife being a Cubs fan (poor misguided soul, she did not like the Marshall trade), I do fondly recall a game from that era when we're down 10-0 early at Wrigley and came back and beat them. They weren't quitters, but our current team I think gives a very good effort as well.

Best to our guys vs. the Cards tonight.
    Unless that's sarcasm I believe you may have Dave and I confused on the Robinson analysis. Haha

Nope, having read several posts, I just got him confused with someone else who liked Robinson in the 2-spot and guess I was replying to the wrong post. It happens when you get to be an old geezer...

My first post, be kind.

What's the best current starting lineup we can field (not counting players on DL, hope no more get there!) ?

I'm not a baseball expert, just a Big Reds fan. My frame of reference goes back to the '70 team when I missed a week of school with a mysterious stomach ailment to watch World Series day baseball Reds vs. Orioles.

I've followed the current Reds more closely the past few years, and a good friend and I were trying to put together our best starting lineup with the current available players. I want 3 players at the top of the lineup that get on base (think Rose, Griffey, Morgan), then 3 that can knock them in (think Bench, Perez, Foster), then everyone else.

Granted, any team I put together with players from today is not going to measure up to that '75 team (just finished re-watching that series on DVD, wonderful!--I noted players sure were "smaller" back then!), but my lineup so far is:

1. Choo (wonderful addition! not convinced on centerfield yet)
    2. Robinson over Paul (close stats OBP and AVG -- speed a difference?, I'm struggling with this spot)
    3. Votto (good to see him start to come around)
    4. Phillips
    5. Frazier (wonderful addition!)
    6. Bruce (pretty cold so far, we need him to warm up soon)
    7. Mesoraco (now that Hanigan is on the DL)
    8. Cozart
    9. Latos (now that Cueto is on the DL)

Would welcome your input! Go Reds!
    im with you exactly

9. Likes:

oldredsfan (04-30-2013)

Nope, having read several posts, I just got him confused with someone else who liked Robinson in the 2-spot and guess I was replying to the wrong post. It happens when you get to be an old geezer...
    No worries. Happens to me too. You created one of the best threads going here. Nothing wrong with that

Ok, after re-reading this thread, I meant a different David, DavidMemphis, regarding his analysis. But don't get me wrong old school 1983, I enjoy the thoughtful remarks being put forth by nearly everyone in this forum, yours in particular. Well done.

I'm still learning how to use/quote/reply in this thread.

Regarding Cingrani, how about we keep him when Cueto comes back and use him as another LHP option out of the pen, or in these all too frequent extra-inning games when we need several innings out of someone? Instead send down one of our three 4-6+ ERA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    No worries. Happens to me too. You created one of the best threads going here. Nothing wrong with that
    Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful analysis. Let's hope our guys can beat the Cards again, tonight.

Now that the season is roughly 1/6 done, the central div. is looking like a dogfight again this year, esp. given our lengthening DL list. I'm not against a trade, but I sure don't like giving up pitching. I guess I'm a hoarder in that regard, we went so many years without much of it, it's nice to have it for a change.

Lutz up from AA for Heisey(now on DL with hamstring)? I hope he does well, but is that the best we've got down in the minors (batted .211 with five home runs and 14 RBIs in 21 games for Pensacola) ?

Would welcome input on what we can do to improve our starting lineup with a trade.

Choo
    Robinson (10-day trial, please!)
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Mesoraco
    Cozart
    Latos

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful analysis. Let's hope our guys can beat the Cards again, tonight.

Now that the season is roughly 1/6 done, the central div. is looking like a dogfight again this year, esp. given our lengthening DL list. I'm not against a trade, but I sure don't like giving up pitching. I guess I'm a hoarder in that regard, we went so many years without much of it, it's nice to have it for a change.

Lutz up from AA for Heisey(now on DL with hamstring)? I hope he does well, but is that the best we've got down in the minors (batted .211 with five home runs and 14 RBIs in 21 games for Pensacola) ?

Would welcome input on what we can do to improve our starting lineup with a trade.

Choo
    Robinson (10-day trial, please!)
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Mesoraco
    Cozart
    Latos
    I'd like to see Robinson get a trial run. As far as trade candidates my two dream candidates, either one of which could help this club would be chase Headley or dexter fowler. But lesser, well maybe not lesser but older guys who'd be more rental types would be dejesus of the cubs or Michael young of the phillies. I really think if we make a move for a guy it should improve the D at center or third or both. I consider those our defensive soft spots. If we are talking about left fielders willing ham would be cool. I'd like to see Rios from the white sox. Good pop good obp and lower Ks for a hitter with his pop. I'd love to see Stanton a red but I think we'd have to seriously overpay in prospects then a few years later be looking at a situation where we couldn't afford him.

I love to hoard pitching too, but as far as getting a guy to make an impact I think we'd have to give up pitching on some level. As far as players on our current roster go, I could see Frazier as a smart trade chip. Out of the players on the roster I think he'd have the most value in a trade, while his loss would have the lowest overall impact on the reds perfoance, especially if the guy you gained was a legit right handed clean up hitter or two hole hitter. Plus fraziers D would be easily replaceable. I see Frazier as a streaky Bruce like bat. I think a good balanced lineup can only really sustain one of those, and Bruce plays superior defense and is younger. I'm not saying give Frazier away or trade him for a rental. He'd have to be a part of a move that'd land one of my dream trade situations. Headley, fowler or Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I'd like to see Robinson get a trial run. As far as trade candidates my two dream candidates, either one of which could help this club would be chase Headley or dexter fowler. But lesser, well maybe not lesser but older guys who'd be more rental types would be dejesus of the cubs or Michael young of the phillies. I really think if we make a move for a guy it should improve the D at center or third or both. I consider those our defensive soft spots. If we are talking about left fielders willing ham would be cool. I'd like to see Rios from the white sox. Good pop good obp and lower Ks for a hitter with his pop. I'd love to see Stanton a red but I think we'd have to seriously overpay in prospects then a few years later be looking at a situation where we couldn't afford him.

I love to hoard pitching too, but as far as getting a guy to make an impact I think we'd have to give up pitching on some level. As far as players on our current roster go, I could see Frazier as a smart trade chip. Out of the players on the roster I think he'd have the most value in a trade, while his loss would have the lowest overall impact on the reds perfoance, especially if the guy you gained was a legit right handed clean up hitter or two hole hitter. Plus fraziers D would be easily replaceable. I see Frazier as a streaky Bruce like bat. I think a good balanced lineup can only really sustain one of those, and Bruce plays superior defense and is younger. I'm not saying give Frazier away or trade him for a rental. He'd have to be a part of a move that'd land one of my dream trade situations. Headley, fowler or Stanton.
    3B Chase Headley, 9th in NL in 2012 with .376 OBP. 31 HR! Nice.
    CF Dexter Fowler, .300 avg, .389 OBP in 2012. Nice again.

I'll take your word for it the defense would improve with either of those. Our current OF seems a bit uncertain when it comes to leadership, hopefully that improves. CF needs to be in charge. As I recall, Geronimo didn't have a problem calling off Griffey or Foster.

RF Alex Rios, seems decent
    CF David DeJesus .278/.352 obp
    3B Michael Young .341/.412 nice season so far, Phillies might want an arm and a leg for that one, pun intended. Maybe two arms and a leg...
    OF Josh Willingham, Twins, presume you mean this one. Hit a fair # of HR last year, SO ratio is about 3:1, nearly same as Jay Bruce. Bruce's D would be tough to part with.

Will take your word on Stanton.
    Seems like you've hit the nail right on the head here, again. Lots of excellent points.

I think it'd take a bit to get young if the phillies go south but nothing crazy. He's in his mid thirties and I'm pretty sure in the last year of his contract. Willingham could be nice but I see him creating an outfield logjam with ludwick coming back and not improving the D much with choo in center. I think Headley would be an incredible pickup. I'd almost consider trading cueto for either him or fowler if cingrani continues to impress. Headley would help on so many levels.

1. Legit cleanup hitter. Protection for votto
    2. Moves Phillips back to 2
    3. Better D at third
    4. Doesn't create outfield logjam and choo could move to left if Bham picks it up
    5. Allows Frazier to be a supersub like last year where his average-ish D isn't in the lineup everyday, but his bat can still be an impact maybe in a platoon with ludwick who would be recovering or lutz or Bham if they prove ready.
    6. Makes Frazier a possible trade chip combined with prospects for a pitcher to replace cueto if he's used in a trade.

I'd really like to see Robinson get a real chance to bat second, but it seems that his injury and dustys preference to play musical outfielders in left wont make that happen. That being the case maybe lutz should get a try. His speed is better than i anticipated. He has a short quick swing for a man of his size, and he has looked ok thus far at the plate. I like Paul but I think he's best used as a lunch hitter who can give a tough quality at bat in a clutch spot late in the game.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Turn Off Ads?