Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: best current Reds lineup

best current Reds lineup

My first post, be kind.

What's the best current starting lineup we can field (not counting players on DL, hope no more get there!) ?

I'm not a baseball expert, just a Big Reds fan. My frame of reference goes back to the '70 team when I missed a week of school with a mysterious stomach ailment to watch World Series day baseball Reds vs. Orioles.

I've followed the current Reds more closely the past few years, and a good friend and I were trying to put together our best starting lineup with the current available players. I want 3 players at the top of the lineup that get on base (think Rose, Griffey, Morgan), then 3 that can knock them in (think Bench, Perez, Foster), then everyone else.

Granted, any team I put together with players from today is not going to measure up to that '75 team (just finished re-watching that series on DVD, wonderful!--I noted players sure were "smaller" back then!), but my lineup so far is:

1. Choo (wonderful addition! not convinced on centerfield yet)
    2. Robinson over Paul (close stats OBP and AVG -- speed a difference?, I'm struggling with this spot)
    3. Votto (good to see him start to come around)
    4. Phillips
    5. Frazier (wonderful addition!)
    6. Bruce (pretty cold so far, we need him to warm up soon)
    7. Mesoraco (now that Hanigan is on the DL)
    8. Cozart
    9. Latos (now that Cueto is on the DL)

Would welcome your input! Go Reds!

2. Likes:

DavidMemphis (04-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: best current Reds lineup

Seems pretty solid.
    Choo at one has been great. But he's playing way over the numbers on the back of his baseball card. In not sold on him in center as of yet.

The two hole is tricky. I'd go Paul versus righties and cozart versus lefties. This spot is hurting bc the two hole hitter is batting cleanup due to injury.

Votto. Enough said.

Phillips. While not a prototypical 4 guy he's our best bet right now. He is coming back down to earth after an elite level start. He is an above average hitter though.

Frazier..... I have to disagree on this one. I'm not sold on the guy yet. I'm actually more afraid of him at third than I am of choo in center. I think his bat is not what a lot of fans think it is either. He's streaky and I see him mostly produce against average to below average pitchers. He looks overmatched to me against anything that is over average stuff. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's as good as some fans believe. I'd go Bruce here and Frazier in the 6 slot

Mes. I like mes and think hell be solid. I almost still consider him a rookie in my mind because of his lack of playing time last year. If he heats up I'd swap him with Frazier or if he shows enough maybe try in the four hole.

Cozart. Looks good at 8 against righties or 2 versus lefties.

Overall I like your lineup. Until the reds get ludwick back or get someone to replace him or someone steps up its around the best we could field.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Seems pretty solid.
    Choo at one has been great. But he's playing way over the numbers on the back of his baseball card. In not sold on him in center as of yet.

The two hole is tricky. I'd go Paul versus righties and cozart versus lefties. This spot is hurting bc the two hole hitter is batting cleanup due to injury.

Votto. Enough said.

Phillips. While not a prototypical 4 guy he's our best bet right now. He is coming back down to earth after an elite level start. He is an above average hitter though.

Frazier..... I have to disagree on this one. I'm not sold on the guy yet. I'm actually more afraid of him at third than I am of choo in center. I think his bat is not what a lot of fans think it is either. He's streaky and I see him mostly produce against average to below average pitchers. He looks overmatched to me against anything that is over average stuff. He's not a bad player but I don't think he's as good as some fans believe. I'd go Bruce here and Frazier in the 6 slot

Mes. I like mes and think hell be solid. I almost still consider him a rookie in my mind because of his lack of playing time last year. If he heats up I'd swap him with Frazier or if he shows enough maybe try in the four hole.

Cozart. Looks good at 8 against righties or 2 versus lefties.

Overall I like your lineup. Until the reds get ludwick back or get someone to replace him or someone steps up its around the best we could field.
    I think u nailed it. I would just ride the hot hand between paul and cozart in the two hole. I think with votto heating up u might see cozart stat to pick things up with all the fast balls he will see. I gave thought of votto in the 2 hole but that leaves no real 4 hitter.

Thanks for your reply old school, some very good points and thoughtful analysis.
    Given Paul's .379 obp vs. Cozart's .230 through 22 games, not sure the rightly/lefty splits matter ( I don't know what those stats are at present). I want someone getting on base in that #2 slot and would not have left Heisey there for so long.
    I definitely agree with you on moving the hot players around, Mesoraco definitely has a lot potential.
    Frazier had the game-winning tater today, a long solo blast. He has 6 HR vs. Bruce's 1. But no problem swapping them once Bruce heats up. Hope we can agree he's better overall than Rolen...
    thanks again, lets see how we fare against the Nats....

You're welcome. I'm not down on Frazier completely. I'd just like him to show more on defense and give a more consistent performance and not so up and down. One Bruce in the lineup is enough for me and given the quality of his defense I'd go with Bruce. When it comes to Frazier versus rolen, you'd definitely have to give the defensive nod to rolen last year. He was a hall of fame caliber defender. As far as offense goes rolens back and shoulder were garbage and Frazier when he was on gave more offensively. So far I love what mes is doing as far as getting on base and it looks like he's not pulling off the ball and dipping his back shoulder as much in his at bats this year. Hopefully Walt can add another solid hitting piece or ludwick can come back strong and this offense can find some consistency.

I know, I know. Chris Heisey sux.

Here are a couple of numbers to consider though:

1) Chris Heisey's line drive average is 24%. League average is 22%
    2) Chris Heisey's BABIP is .220. League average is .293.
    3) On line drives Chris Heisey's line slash line is: .385/1.000/1.385. League average is .682/.982/1.664.
    4) Chris Heisey is probably the best defensive left fielder the Reds have.

Yes, Heisey is off to a slow start. But he hasn't gotten much luck to date. These things even out over the long haul.

Thanks,

Chris Heisey's Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

3) On line drives Chris Heisey's line slash line is: .385/1.000/1.385. League average is .682/.982/1.664.

Yes, Heisey is off to a slow start. But he hasn't gotten much luck to date. These things even out over the long haul.

Thanks,

Chris Heisey's Brother.
    I like heisey. Unlike some I believe he needs to stay on this team. His D hustle and speed are awesome. And yes he's hit into bad luck. But in the two hole right now. He's popping up a lot and isn't working the count very well. I think he'll come around more towards his career numbers but right now lets not put him in the two spot. Wait til he heats up.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Thanks,

Chris Heisey's Brother.
    I just don't think he sees the ball well, see him like a Stubbs lite.

He's only gotten to 3 Balls in a count 8 times this season, and only walked twice.

Best part is moving Mes up. I really like his at bats and now is the time (with Luddy out) to find out if he can be more of a middle of the order guy.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by boiseheidleberg View Post
    Best part is moving Mes up. I really like his at bats and now is the time (with Luddy out) to find out if he can be more of a middle of the order guy.
    Agreed! Part of me says maybe try him in the two hole too. He gets on base fairly well. Has pop. Is more of a line drive/fly ball hitter so he'd stay out of the DP and he's faster than hanigan so the base clogger excuse could be gone

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Choo
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Mes
    Heisey
    Cozart
    Leake
    Award Winning Baseball Player

My overall take on the reds lineup is this: way too feast or famine. They may average 5 runs a game but that's a very deceiving stat. They'll light up a so so pitcher for 10 or 15 then go 3 or 4 games where they struggle to score 1 or 2. They really only have what I want to call 2.5 hitters that will work a count and give a good tough at bat and not continually swing for the fences. Those guys are choo votto and Phillips when he is on. I put Bruce and Frazier in the power feast or famine group. They catch fire or are cold. Bruce is showing signs of plate discipline this year. Cozart seems like a dead pull hitter prone to cold streaks. The book on Mez is still out for me but he is doing a good job of getting on thus far. Heisey really us just a replacement bit he needs more discipline at the dish. But the swing from the heels hot and cold nature of most of the reds lineup leads to our scoring situation. When on or versus so so pitching its like a slow pitch softball game. When off or versus tougher pitching the bats aside from choo votto and Phillips at times look undisciplined and unable to work a tough at bat. I think the best way to improve the reds lineup and make it more consistent will be to bring in more disciplined bats that work pitchers and string solid hits together rather than relying on home runs or streaky hot hitters. I think in order to do that Walt may have to pull the trigger on trades that may not be too popular in reds country at the time but on the whole will make the team better much like the joe Morgan trade in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by oldredsfan View Post
    My first post, be kind.

What's the best current starting lineup we can field (not counting players on DL, hope no more get there!) ?

I'm not a baseball expert, just a Big Reds fan. My frame of reference goes back to the '70 team when I missed a week of school with a mysterious stomach ailment to watch World Series day baseball Reds vs. Orioles.

I've followed the current Reds more closely the past few years, and a good friend and I were trying to put together our best starting lineup with the current available players. I want 3 players at the top of the lineup that get on base (think Rose, Griffey, Morgan), then 3 that can knock them in (think Bench, Perez, Foster), then everyone else.

Granted, any team I put together with players from today is not going to measure up to that '75 team (just finished re-watching that series on DVD, wonderful!--I noted players sure were "smaller" back then!), but my lineup so far is:

1. Choo (wonderful addition! not convinced on centerfield yet)
    2. Robinson over Paul (close stats OBP and AVG -- speed a difference?, I'm struggling with this spot)
    3. Votto (good to see him start to come around)
    4. Phillips
    5. Frazier (wonderful addition!)
    6. Bruce (pretty cold so far, we need him to warm up soon)
    7. Mesoraco (now that Hanigan is on the DL)
    8. Cozart
    9. Latos (now that Cueto is on the DL)

Would welcome your input! Go Reds!
    this is the lineup i would go with

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread for the thoughtful and detailed analysis. It's been educational/informative and I've changed my thinking about a few lineup spots because of your opinions.

As far as Frazier vs. Rolen, absolutely agree with you on the defensive side Rolen was superior. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, injuries played a part in Rolen's offensive struggles. But it's a business and the point is to win games. The defense in the San Fran playoffs last year...oy! Still haven't forgotten it, guess I'll need to get a bit older before I can. I just want someone there now at third who is an asset, at least produces more runs than he lets in. ie. let's not have a Sammy Sosa type who might knock in 2, but let in 3.

Mesoraco in the 2 spot...why not, give him a shot! We may be pleasantly surprised. I normally don't think of catchers with a lot of speed, but if he gets on base a lot, then so what.

The poster who made the point about taking a few pitches and getting deep into the count..yes! I don't care if it's a walk or a single, just get on base. I think I've watched "Moneyball" a few too many times...

Have a good weekend all. Go Reds, beat the Nats!

Quote Originally Posted by oldredsfan View Post
    My first post, be kind.

To this day I can't say their third baseman's name without inserting a certain word that rhymes with trucking in between his first and last name.

Don't ask me about Gene Tenace.

Post more.

I would put Paul in there in front of Robinson, but that's me.
    I would also prefer Latos over Cueto even when Cueto comes back.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?