Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Marshall Returns Who Goes?

Re: When Marshall Returns Who Goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Short term - Send down Hoover. Get him a little bit of rest. Let him work on a regular schedule, one day on , one day off. Let him build up his confidence a bit. Once he is 'right' swap him back for Parra. Handy Manny has been awful.
    Hoover's had plenty of rest lately.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Could the Reds send Parra to AAA (assuming no one claims him in the waiver period)? Or does Parra have enough service time to refuse a AAA assignment and become a FA?

I like Logan more than most people on this board, but I guess I was not as impressed with his 3 K inning. He was throwing high .. Mez kept reminding him to keep the ball low. I think the fact that the Marlins are a AAA team made Logan look good in that appearance. Now, I think Logan can be salvaged, I'm just not overly enthusiastic after that one appearance.

Same for Cingrani.. Love the guy, I just don't think he's as good as the Marlins made him look. I do think Cingrani is going to get better, and he had some jitters in his debut.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Whatever moves they make after Marshall is available, I hope they have him go down to the minors for 2 appearances first. The way they botched his first attempt at 2013 I hope they make sure he responds to game work before doing anything at the MLB level.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-22-2013)

This also doubles for when Cueto gets back, but Id be for the Rotation to be
    1)Cueto
    2)Latos
    3)Arroyo
    4)Homer
    5)Cingrani

Bullpen would be Chap,Brox, Marshall, Lecure, Hoover, Simon and Leake

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Parra. If there's any doubt on that I'd be shocked.

update....from Sheldon

*Reds left-handed reliever Sean Marshall, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 10 (retroactive to 4/8) because of tendinitis in his left shoulder, is scheduled to pitch on a rehab assignment Monday night for Triple-A Louisville, at Indianapolis. Marshall is eligible to be activated on Tuesday. My presumption is if he feels good Tuesday morning after pitching, he will be activated.

Manny Parra serves no purpose.

10. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-26-2013)

i think since the Reds signed Parra to a MLB contract they will give him every opportunity to prove himself and to make management look good, not bad.

unfortunate for Parra, i think he is putting a lot of pressure on himself to perform and he doesn't look relaxed out there on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Manny Parra serves no purpose.
    I'd send out Parra when Marshall comes back. But he does serve a purpose.

He has the ability to work multiple innings in a blow out game and "save" the rest of the pen. He also can come in for briefer stints against lefties, although I don't see so far any top ability to get lefties out.

I think this combination of uses is what got Parra his stint.

Parra might benefit from some time at AAA. He would get some innings. He'd probably return later in the season as a more effective pitcher.

But he is a veteran with a contract, so maybe Hoover goes down. Still don't think it's Ondrusek.

Reds could save face by sending Parra down to stretch him out as a starter. "With Marshall back and Chapman in the pen but with Cueto on the shelf, we are strong in the pen from the left side but we could do with having another experienced starter waiting in the wings."

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Reds could save face by sending Parra down to stretch him out as a starter. "With Marshall back and Chapman in the pen but with Cueto on the shelf, we are strong in the pen from the left side but we could do with having another experienced starter waiting in the wings."

Parra's days as a starter are finished I would think. He had 74 ML starts and couldn't get ERA under 5. His last chance was to make it as a bullpen lefty and doesn't seem that will even work. He isn't even tough enough on lefties to be a LOOGY. I think Parra's days as a big leaguer are numbered. I would let him go and eat the money. He simply can not get big league hitters out no matter how you place him on roster.

Parra, one because he's been slightly ineffective, two because he's the other lefty.

I think people are underselling Parra a bit. If he's used in the right role, he's perfectly fine. He's a LOOGY with the potential to mop up if needed. That's it. As long as he's not out there in the late innings or tight situations, he's not all that bad
    Just call me Legs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    I think people are underselling Parra a bit. If he's used in the right role, he's perfectly fine. He's a LOOGY with the potential to mop up if needed. That's it. As long as he's not out there in the late innings or tight situations, he's not all that bad
    he doesn't fit the loogy profile because he walks too many.....

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    he doesn't fit the loogy profile because he walks too many.....
    Exactly. I don't want ANYONE in the bullpen who has control issues. Period.

19. Likes:

TSJ55 (04-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?