Turn Off Ads?

Thread: WVU Football 2012 Thread

WVU Football 2012 Thread

I was at the Blue Gold game yesterday (got free tickets through work), so here's my take on the Post-Geno era:

1. The new uniforms look awesome:

2. The defense looked a lot better. They were closing on the ball a lot quicker after catches and limiting yardage.

3. As for the offense, Paul Millard looks like the starter going forward. I like Ford Childress in terms of potential, but Millard seemed to have a better control of the offense. The running game may be a strength (Garrison and Buie returning), plus Wendell Smallwood who looked pretty good, but given Holgorsen's system may not be utilized very much.

4. Jordan (Squirt) Thompson will likely receive the bulk of the catches going forward. He isn't as explosive as Tavon, but is the best option. Kevin White, a Juco receiver, is one to keep an eye on. He is 6'4 and moved pretty good on a TD reception from Millard.

The offense is taking a step back but with Will Clark and Karl Joseph coming back the defense will likely need to step it up. The early season game in Oklahoma could be a statement for how this season is going to be, IMO. Anywhere from 9-3 or 7-5 would be possible. I see this team making it to a bowl game, just not sure which one.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: WVU Football 2012 Thread

Wow that's a lot higher hopes than I have for my WVU boys this year. (Also, may want to change the thread to 2013).

I personally would be thrilled with a return to a bowl game. Anything beyond that is gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Wow that's a lot higher hopes than I have for my WVU boys this year. (Also, may want to change the thread to 2013).
    Should have started with 6-6.

I don't know that it's so much higher hopes as much as it is 1. WVU is playing a pretty weak schedule, and 2. Outside of Oklahoma, there really isn't much else on the schedule that doesn't have a ton of question marks.

Should Win:
    William & Mary
    Georgia State
    Kansas

Must Win:
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Iowa State

Toss Up:
    Maryland
    Oklahoma State
    Baylor
    Kansas State
    TCU

Not Gonna Happen:
    Oklahoma
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not looking very good. 17-7 William and Mary at the half.

Offense is looking way too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not looking very good. 17-7 William and Mary at the half.

Offense is looking way too conservative.
    Playing bland because they were juggling qbs. The offense sounded (I only got to hear it on the radio) like it was much further along with Mallard as qb. I think now we'll start to see them go a little more creative going into their first big 12 game and the fact its Oklahoma.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Playing bland because they were juggling qbs. The offense sounded (I only got to hear it on the radio) like it was much further along with Mallard as qb. I think now we'll start to see them go a little more creative going into their first big 12 game and the fact its Oklahoma.
    On an unrelated note, would it be possible to change the title of the thread to 2013? I goofed on the year.

I think it had more to do with the QBs, although Millard has likely entrenched himself as the starter. Two things weigh in:

1. WVU has nobody to step up at wide receiver to replace Tavon and Stedman. I liked the looks of Kevin White at the spring game, but he has been hurt of late and didn't see the field against William & Mary. Someone is going to have to step up at receiver at some point this season.

2. Holgorsen has running backs to work with, a first since he has been at WVU. When Andrew Buie is no longer with the team and Dustin Garrison is seen in late duty, that should say something. Charles Sims, who played at Houston under Holgorsen, could be the real deal and with WVU's lack of receivers, you could see more running in the near future. Dreamus Smith and Wendell Smallwood could also help shoulder the load for Sims as well.

I'm interested in seeing how the Oklahoma game matches up, a freshman QB for the Sooners, six DB defense (Louisiana Monroe runs an air raid and was shut out last week), and if Holgorsen was really running the ball to keep from tipping his hand and giving Stoops game film for this week.

16-7 Sooners win.

The defense is looking better, but the offense has really taken a step back. Millard isn't the answer and I don't think Trickett is either. I'd like to see what Ford Childress can do. 6'5 and a rifle arm compared to the other two.

I've got tickets for the Oklahoma State game. Hopefully they are still worth something by then.

10. Likes:

Slyder (09-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    16-7 Sooners win.

The defense is looking better, but the offense has really taken a step back. Millard isn't the answer and I don't think Trickett is either. I'd like to see what Ford Childress can do. 6'5 and a rifle arm compared to the other two.

I've got tickets for the Oklahoma State game. Hopefully they are still worth something by then.
    But something must be said if Ford Childress couldn't impress the coaching staff enough to beat Millard and a guy who just transferred in for the job. Unless he's hurt or something.

William Arthur Ward

Speaking of Oklahoma State:

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/sports/local...aid-by-coaches

Will be curious to see how WVU handles DeForest. Given his track record while in Morgantown, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get the boot if it means saving face.

I think WVU just found their starting QB, only took five games into the season.

Trickett isn't the most accurate, but he moves around and can scramble for extra yards. I like Charles Sims and he is the best playmaker, but it seems like Holgorsen is trying to use him similar to Tavon and they are two completely different players.

This team doesn't have the same makeup as the past two years. I said on the way back from Morgantown today that this team would be better suited in a power offense with a scrambling QB, some good quality RB's, and no capable wideouts to speak of.

If Joe DeForest still has a job at the end of the season, something is really wrong. Special teams play has been atrocious this year and I'm sure the Oklahoma State fiasco hasn't helped (even if it gets debunked).

I see 8-4 being a real possibility, which is funny given last week's 37-0 beatdown had fans calling for Holgorsen's job. I don't see them losing to Texas Tech, Texas, or Iowa State in Morgantown. TCU and Baylor could likely be losses and Kansas is a likely WVU win. No reason this team shouldn't be in a bowl game.

Turn Off Ads?