Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You can keep 2 - which do you keep of the 3?

Re: You can keep 2 - which do you keep of the 3?

Cueto and Latos and it's a very easy decision for me.

I still see Bailey as a middle rotation guy. I just can't see him ever putting up a full season of an ERA below 3, while Cueto and Latos have already done it.

All pitchers are huge injury risks, and all three have had previous injuries, so I don't factor that in.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wait till they all get to spring training in last year of control before even making the decision. I don't believe there will be any bargains to be had so at least go into the decision making progress with as much info as possible, especially with pitching. Give as much time as you can to let injuries or regression of velocity reveal themselves. Giants are thankful that Lincecum never took any of their offers I'm sure. At that point you can pay retail if you want or make a trade.

Cueto and Latos.

Bailey has made great strides, but IMO, he's always going to be a notch below Latos/Cueto.

Given a choice between extending Choo or Bailey, I chose Bailey, even though Choo is absolutely amazing. I fear that extending Choo will mean paying for his declining years. If Homer and Choo were the same age, it would be a very hard decision.. in fact, I would probably chose Choo.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I would keep Latos and Bailey, and never look back.

I keep thinking back to the post season last year against the Giants. Homer had a HUGE game in front of a national audience. You cannot blame Homer for losing that game. Folks have said it before, but he looked better in that game than he did in the no-hitter he threw.

I just know someone is going to disprove me with some obscure metric, but as I watch Cueto, I am just not impressed. He just strikes me as a very lucky pitcher, and I feel like every inning I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I suppose some of it stems from the fact that his K/9 has slowly dropped over the last few years. While I am aware that this whole evolution into a mini-Luis Tiant is supposed to be a good thing, I'm not that impressed with the whole "pitch to contact" thing. I'll take good old fashioned hardball and the 95+ mph fastballs that Latos and Bailey can blow by hitters. I am absolutely loving these 10 K games by these guys.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Latos and Bailey. Cueto's complex mechanics make him, in my eyes, more vulnerable to injury while his peripherals make him most prone to collapse. That's not to say I don't like him or don't want him, but I think he represents the best potential ROI in a trade.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Keep Latos and Bailey. Not only would Cueto gets the Reds more if he were traded, I think (strong opinion time) that he is the least healthiest of the three.

Salukifan2

I'm very suprised to see so many people choosing Bailey and Latos over Cueto. Especially Bailey. Cueto's been about as good as it gets for four years, yet so many would prefer Bailey? Bailey has only pithed over 140 innings one time. His ERA+ shows he has been below average for most of that time. And Bailey is only a year younger.

Cueto Latos

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    I'm very suprised to see so many people choosing Bailey and Latos over Cueto. Especially Bailey. Cueto's been about as good as it gets for four years, yet so many would prefer Bailey? Bailey has only pithed over 140 innings one time. His ERA+ shows he has been below average for most of that time. And Bailey is only a year younger.
    Bailey has thrown over 200 innings twice in his career.... problem is, some of those came in the minor leagues one season.

I think the biggest thing with people choosing Bailey over Cueto is that people just don't trust Cueto to age as well with his smaller body and mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think the biggest thing with people choosing Bailey over Cueto is that people just don't trust Cueto to age as well with his smaller body and mechanics.
    Agree. In addition to Cueto being the most valuable trade at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Latos and Bailey. Cueto's complex mechanics make him, in my eyes, more vulnerable to injury while his peripherals make him most prone to collapse. That's not to say I don't like him or don't want him, but I think he represents the best potential ROI in a trade.
    Cueto has had better peripherals than Bailey over the last few years. Bailey's FIP has been right around 4.00 while Cueto's has been around 3.40.

Extend Latos soon as early as this year.

Let the Bailey, Cueto (and, yes, even Leake) situations play out for at least another year. I get the feeling Bailey is eying the big free agent payday, and would prefer it to be somewhere down South or West. Another Cueto extension, on the other hand, might be had at a relative hometown discount, especially if he doesn't come back as healthy and strong as we'd all like.

14. Likes:

remdog (04-22-2013)

Bailey has thrown over 200 innings twice in his career.... problem is, some of those came in the minor leagues one season.

Pretty much spot on. Cueto has turned into one heck of a pitcher over the past couple of years. He has been injured 3 times in the past 3 years which either required a shut down or a DL stint. Granted last year was in the playoffs after a healthy year. I have major concerns that his body will hold up as he ages. Especially when you consider that he does have a little deception that helps with his game.

The Reds seem to have quite a bit of depth in the pitching department. Guys like Cingrani, Corcino, Cisco, Stephenson, and Travieso all could be legitimate options in a year or 3 to 4 years. Using the James Shields trade as a template, would you trade Cueto after this season for one of the top rated prospects in all of baseball?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cueto has had better peripherals than Bailey over the last few years. Bailey's FIP has been right around 4.00 while Cueto's has been around 3.40.
    Cueto has kept the ball in the yard better. That is about it.

2011-2013 Bailey has a 2.3 BB/9 and a 7.4 K/9.
    2011-2013 Cueto has a 2.4 BB/9 and a 6.7 K/9.

Cueto has kept the ball in the yard better. That is about it.

2011-2013 Bailey has a 2.3 BB/9 and a 7.4 K/9.
    2011-2013 Cueto has a 2.4 BB/9 and a 6.7 K/9.
    Kate Upton fills out a bikini better than my girlfriend. That's about it

But seriously, the point is that many people are worried that Cueto might revert to his what his peripherals say he will revert to, when if he did, he still would be better then Bailey.

18. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?