Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: N.L. Central Team stats

  1. #1
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    N.L. Central Team stats

    I posted these on another thread, but decided they deserved their own thread. We can update them periodically to see which direction the teams are trending:

    I'll qualify my comments with "it's still early" but.........

    Looking at team stats, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't look like it will hold up. I would take the Reds and Cards offense over the Pirates any day of the week. I do realize the Pirates swept us. But I think it was just one of those things.

    Pittsburgh is 25th in team batting average. 24th in HR's. 21st in runs scored. 21st in OBP. 26th in slugging percentage. I see that trend holding up most of the season.

    Reds are 5th in team batting average. 9th in HR's. 1st in runs scored. 1st in OBP. 11th in slugging percentage.

    Cardinals are 22nd in team batting average. 19th in HR's. 5th in runs scored. 25th in OBP (surprising). 21st in slugging percentage. Hmmmm. I can't figure out how they're 5th in runs scored with those hitting stats.......yikes.

    Team pitching stats:
    Team e.r.a.
    4. Pirates 3.30
    7. Cardinals 3.44
    9. Reds 3.58

    Team starting pitching
    2. Cardinals 2.54
    5. Cubs 3.13
    6. Reds 3.21
    18. Pirates 4.34

    Team bullpen
    3. Pirates 2.03
    20. Reds 4.39
    30. Cardinals 5.69 (wow)

    I think the Reds bullpen will improve.

    Looking at the stats for both hitting and pitching, I feel the Reds have the most ability to improve. I'd expect the Cardinals hitting to get better though.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    The Cardinals are 5th in runs with crappy hitting stats because they are hitting over .400 with RISP as a team. That will correct itself.

  4. #3
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,503

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Cardinals are 5th in runs with crappy hitting stats because they are hitting over .400 with RISP as a team. That will correct itself.
    They will start hitting better so the drop off won't be as great as you may think. I believe they will wind up in the top 5 again in runs scored like they have for the past two years. Their bullpen is scary bad right now. I don't even know if it can get any worse.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,531

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    They will start hitting better so the drop off won't be as great as you may think. I believe they will wind up in the top 5 again in runs scored like they have for the past two years. Their bullpen is scary bad right now. I don't even know if it can get any worse.
    The Cards will start hitting better but won't score anymore runs. I expect they'll finish better than 5th in runs scored though.

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    They will start hitting better so the drop off won't be as great as you may think. I believe they will wind up in the top 5 again in runs scored like they have for the past two years. Their bullpen is scary bad right now. I don't even know if it can get any worse.
    The drop off in "clutch" will certainly happen. Though I would also expect more chances too because the team, I would expect, will hit better overall as you noted.

  7. #6
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,503

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The drop off in "clutch" will certainly happen. Though I would also expect more chances too because the team, I would expect, will hit better overall as you noted.
    Agreed. Their current pace is unsustainable but they should hit more HR's and for more power than we're seeing. I'm not really worried about their offense though. Their bullpen is what's going to hold them back from even competing in the Central. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up in 3rd place if they don't find a solution soon.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  8. #7
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,503

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Also, your bullpen is too good to remain 20th in baseball. That should normalize to some sort of mean.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  9. #8
    Member nheath22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    62

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Also interesting to note, that as of last night, the Reds starters have accumulated the most innings in the big leagues currently showing they are going very deep in games. This could help us keep the bullpin fresh for the season if we can keep up the quality starts we are piling up.

    MLB innings pitched - Starters
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

  10. #9
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Only two other teams in MLB (NYY, LAD) have as many HBP as Mr. Choo does by himself.
    Last edited by klw; 04-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.

  11. Likes:


  12. #10
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Offense BABIP:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-batting.shtml
    Cin- .317
    MIl- .294
    Pit- .289
    StL- .283
    ChC- .269
    I am thinking that # for the Reds may not be sustainable.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...pitching.shtml
    Pitching BABIP
    StL- .323
    MIl- .316
    CIN- .282
    ChC- .279
    Pit- .256
    Last edited by klw; 04-22-2013 at 02:33 PM.

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Average with Two outs and RISP

    .226 NL Average
    .192 for the Reds
    .408 for the Cardinals which is #1 in MLB by .090 over second place and .120 over 3rd!

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    238

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I posted these on another thread, but decided they deserved their own thread. We can update them periodically to see which direction the teams are trending:

    I'll qualify my comments with "it's still early" but.........

    Looking at team stats, Pittsburgh's offense doesn't look like it will hold up. I would take the Reds and Cards offense over the Pirates any day of the week. I do realize the Pirates swept us. But I think it was just one of those things.

    Pittsburgh is 25th in team batting average. 24th in HR's. 21st in runs scored. 21st in OBP. 26th in slugging percentage. I see that trend holding up most of the season.

    Reds are 5th in team batting average. 9th in HR's. 1st in runs scored. 1st in OBP. 11th in slugging percentage.

    Cardinals are 22nd in team batting average. 19th in HR's. 5th in runs scored. 25th in OBP (surprising). 21st in slugging percentage. Hmmmm. I can't figure out how they're 5th in runs scored with those hitting stats.......yikes.

    Team pitching stats:
    Team e.r.a.
    4. Pirates 3.30
    7. Cardinals 3.44
    9. Reds 3.58

    Team starting pitching
    2. Cardinals 2.54
    5. Cubs 3.13
    6. Reds 3.21
    18. Pirates 4.34

    Team bullpen
    3. Pirates 2.03
    20. Reds 4.39
    30. Cardinals 5.69 (wow)

    I think the Reds bullpen will improve.

    Looking at the stats for both hitting and pitching, I feel the Reds have the most ability to improve. I'd expect the Cardinals hitting to get better though.
    Don't forget when comparing numbers with the Cardinals staff that Jaime Garcia is king of the unearned run. He already has 4 this year!

    % of total runs unearned - career.
    Bronson Arroyo 9.0%, Johnny Cueto 8.8%, Mat Latos 8.1%, Mike Leake 7.8%, Homer Bailey 7.5%

    Jaime Garcia 19.3% , Adam Wainwright 8.8%, Jake Westbrook 8.8%

  15. #13
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    557

    Re: N.L. Central Team stats

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Also, your bullpen is too good to remain 20th in baseball. That should normalize to some sort of mean.
    Marshall coming back healthy would help, as well. Cueto coming back probably wouldn't hurt either.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25