Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You can keep 2 - which do you keep of the 3?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

You can keep 2 - which do you keep of the 3?

On the re-sign Choo thread, pitching came up. Say the Reds management decides they can only afford to keep 2 starting pitchers between Cueto, Latos, and Bailey. Which 2 would you keep and who would you deal?

I'd like to keep them all. But I don't think it will happen.

And at times I wonder when the farm system will be pushing guys to the majors again.

Heck, I wish they could sign Arroyo to finish his career as a Red. But I don't think it will happen.

I guess we all wish we knew what the magic number or maximum payroll is going to be for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You can keep 2 - which do you keep of the 3?

My first reaction to this question, totally off the cuff, is keep Latos and Bailey even though Cueto has been the best of the trio. Pitchers are always a huge gamble. I think Latos and Bailey are better bets to stay healthy than Cueto.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

4. Likes:

mth123 (04-22-2013),Red in Chicago (04-22-2013)

I would also prefer to keep Latos and Bailey. I like Cueto a lot, but I also think that (at this moment) he holds the largest trade value. If Bailey can continue to pitch well, Cingrani doesn't stumble and Latos doesn't implode I think that Cueto moving would make the most sense.

Although I think the safest move would be to move Bailey since he really seems to have a hard time at GABP.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I would also prefer to keep Latos and Bailey. I like Cueto a lot, but I also think that (at this moment) he holds the largest trade value. If Bailey can continue to pitch well, Cingrani doesn't stumble and Latos doesn't implode I think that Cueto moving would make the most sense.

Although I think the safest move would be to move Bailey since he really seems to have a hard time at GABP.
    Let's hope this homestand is a sign of things to come as he should or could easily have 2 wins.
    14 IP 2 ER 18 K's

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The crazy thing is.........I like Cueto and Bailey better than Latos. Probably because they're home grown.

Cueto seems to be injured here and there.
    Bailey used to be that injured guy but hopefully has licked that with his offseason workouts.

But there are signs that Bailey will want to test free agency, maybe wants to go home to Texas, and finally would like to pitch in a bigger ballpark.

I have no way of knowing Cueto's thinking, but he seems like a guy that wouldn't mind being a career Red.

Latos seems appreciative to be playing for a contender.

It's really a tough choice for me. I'd like to keep all 3. Because of injuries, Cueto probably goes first. But because of what I said about Bailey's desire to test free agency, he might move ahead of Cueto on my list to trade.

I lik'em all and wish we had an unlimited payroll. Tough choices ahead for the Reds.

I'd keep Homer and Latos... I think both have higher upsides than Johnny, even though Johnny is/can be exceptional! I also agree that they are better bets to stay healthy. Latos is the must keep IMO, the guy is young and he is a stud. Huge fan of the guy!

Also isn't it funny how the opinion has changed on Homer Bailey? Last year at this time most of Redszone said he'd never get, he was a bust, he's a bum that needs traded, etc... Now people want to keep him over Cueto. Wow, how times have changed!

Bailey and Latos. They have the better "bodies," going forward. I think Cueto might break down first.

10. Likes:

Always Red (04-22-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've been a huge Bailey supporter his entire career, but I don't know that I'd pay him what he's going to command if he posts another season this year like he did last year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

12. Likes:

remdog (04-22-2013)

I think I have to say Latos and Bailey too -- which surprises me, and has me questioning the fact that this poll is being run while Cueto is on the DL and Homer is pitching very effectively. I think that's the choice most of us would make -- Latos + one of Homer/Cueto -- and it depends on which one is going well at the moment who gets the upper hand.

That said, I have to wonder whether Homer actually wants to sign here long term. GABP is a terrible park for his skills and if he goes elsewhere, he could really boost his career. And that's not even to mention money, which could very well be better elsewhere if he puts up another season similar to 2012 in 2013.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

14. Likes:

remdog (04-22-2013)

I think some of you are forgetting the injury issues Bailey has had in the past too, and those were shoulder issues. He throws quite a few splitters, which eventually take their toll on the elbow. Cueto throws primarily fastball/change, which should provide him greater longevity. I guess if you're basing it on the current situation, then Bailey is the better option...and the Reds have a potential Cueto-like replacement in Corcino, but I'd personally still pick Cueto over Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think I have to say Latos and Bailey too -- which surprises me, and has me questioning the fact that this poll is being run while Cueto is on the DL and Homer is pitching very effectively. I think that's the choice most of us would make -- Latos + one of Homer/Cueto -- and it depends on which one is going well at the moment who gets the upper hand.
    Part of my preference for Latos and Bailey over Cueto is based upon the former two guys being bigger guys. Latos is about 6'6" and 245 pounds and Bailey is about 6'4" 230, whereas Cueto is 5'11" 215. Cueto also appears to me to throw with more effort whereas Bailey in particular now seems to have an easier motion. It is all guesswork, but I just think Latos and Bailey are better bets to stay heathly than Cueto. Having said that, any pitcher is one pitch away from blowing out his arm.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 04-22-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

17. Likes:

Red in Chicago (04-22-2013)

I would take Bailey and Latos and not even think twice about it. I think their build will stand up better to pitching late into a contract. I would actually think about trading Cueto now. I have concerns that he will break down as he ages because of his smallish frame.

19. Likes:

Kc61 (04-22-2013)

As much as I love Choo, I would keep all three and let Choo leave via free agency.

I'd prefer to keep them all, but if that is not a possibility, I'd let the guy who is more easily replaced leave. Stud SP are one hell of a lot harder to come by than stud LF.

21. Likes:

Deepred05 (04-23-2013),remdog (04-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    As much as I love Choo, I would keep all three and let Choo leave via free agency.

I'd prefer to keep them all, but if that is not a possibility, I'd let the guy who is more easily replaced leave. Stud SP are one hell of a lot harder to come by than stud LF.
    this.

Very much so.

I love me some offense and everything, but it's fun knowing that your starting pitching can throw a big old line of goose eggs up there every night.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post

Agree with this. If the Reds had other gaping holes, I might say sign Choo and 2 pitchers and trade one of the other pitchers for a bounty. But we don't have other gaping holes. So if forced to CHOOse, I'd let Choo get his $50M+ elsewhere and try to keep all 3 pitchers. And I love me some Choo.

As far as choosing between the pitchers, with a gun to my head, I'd probably keep Latos first and then whichever would sign a more team friendly deal between Cueto and Bailey. In fact I may just let economics dictate which 2 I'd keep, period. Their performances and future value are that close together for me.

Both Bailey and Cueto have health concerns that IMO cancel each other out. And I think their past performance ranking of Cueto-Latos-Bailey could easily be flipped when it comes to future projection ranking. But it's a really, really close call between all three.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?