Thread: Alt./Emo Rock

Alt./Emo Rock

Anyone listen to this sort of music? I'm talking about bands like:

Mayday Parade
    Go Radio
    Paramore
    All-time Low
    A Day to Remember

Would love to chat with some other people who love this stuff.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alt./Emo Rock

Would Muse count?

I guess. For some reason, I don't really care for them; but they're moderately similar to my kinda stuff.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I love the first and second generation "emo" bands from the 1980s and 1990s, and there has been a strong revival of that sound in the last couple years, but most of what got slapped with the emo label in the early to mid aughts is next to unlistenable, IMO...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I am old and stuck in my ways. I recognize those band names (I know I like a Paramore song but have no idea which one), but don't recall the music. You could help us old-folk out and post a clip or two. BTW, I love everything I have ever heard from Muse.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

BC, IDK if emo is the right term for my stuff anyway. Its hard to find exactly what genre it falls under. Somewhere between emo, punk, and alternative rock.

Captain, my favorite Paramore song:

A few more favorites from Mayday and GR:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOXAOSfZ_nM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W65FVnJaVoU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrDqw1S8wMo

I like Muse a lot, but am not generally crazy about emo. I enjoy Paramore, but don't go out of my way to listen to them. Same for My Chemical Romance, which I might like better if fewer of their fans were middle school girls.

Somehow I expected Vampire Weekend to be emo, but they aren't, and I like them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I was into that stuff when I was a young teenager. If that's your bag, you'll probably graduate onto stuff like this at some point:

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2013),camisadelgolf (09-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I was into that stuff when I was a young teenager. If that's your bag, you'll probably graduate onto stuff like this at some point:

Now we're talking! I almost went with a Jawbreaker vid to set him straight...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-23-2013 at 08:44 PM.

12. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Now we're talking! I almost went with a Jawbreaker vid to set him straight...
    Oh yeah, that's right up my alley. I know where OP is coming from, if I'm not mistaken he's a younger poster, I know I listened to a lot of that stuff when I was younger. Now I'm thinking about putting together playlists and stuff.

I'll drop some links in this post for anyone interested in checking out more in this style of music

DFA is a little different than the rest of this, but if you're into it, I think you'd like them:
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 04-23-2013 at 11:03 PM.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2013)

Here's the original emo.

Last edited by marcshoe; 04-24-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: they changed the whole video thingy!
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

They call me "chef"

In 2-3 years you will be National fans.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-25-2013)

Sunny Day Real Estate!

Also, these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVrVayeXzpo
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-25-2013)

A couple of iconic post-hardcore bands from 15 years ago and then a couple recent bands I think you would like too:

Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-25-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Turn Off Ads?