Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Fox Sports Ohio's broadcasts of Reds baseball lack the quality that most MLB broadcasts have. After watching games by broadcast crews from all over the league on MLB Network, the Reds broadcasts are just about the worst.

Thom Brennaman has been cut off going into commercial at least three times tonight. How does that happen?

They rarely show the FoxTrax on close pitches. Most clubs show a replay with the PitchTrax rather than a player getting the dirt out of his shoe between pitches.

And they rarely, if ever, show a close-up of fans in the ballpark. Watching Cubs games, they show close-ups of fans at least twice every inning.

Do you think the Reds broadcasts are lacking quality?

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

The Cubs camera man is always a pervert.

I am not kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Cubs camera man is always a pervert.

I am not kidding.
    It's been that way at least since Harry Caray's days. I can remember the WGN superstation days when Harry wouldn't miss making a comment about attractive young ladies in the stands.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It's been that way at least since Harry Caray's days. I can remember the WGN superstation days when Harry wouldn't miss making a comment about attractive young ladies in the stands.
    In the stands? Hell, remember that woman that tried to pitch as a professional? She was in the minors? I still remember Caray saying something to the effect of "who cares whether she can pitch? What does she look like?"
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

REDREAD (04-23-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I could go without hearing Thom ever again. Brantley isn't my favorite. The rest of the guys that do TV are fine by me.

7. Likes:

mbgrayson (04-23-2013),MikeThierry (04-23-2013),PickOff (04-24-2013),redsfanmia (04-23-2013),remdog (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I could go without hearing Thom ever again. Brantley isn't my favorite. The rest of the guys that do TV are fine by me.
    I almost always listen to the other team's broadcast. That's how much a can't stand Thom and Chis. "Dumb and dumberer" IMO.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I almost always listen to the other team's broadcast. That's how much a can't stand Thom and Chis. "Dumb and dumberer" IMO.
    Woah... woah... Thom I'll grant you but Welsh?

10. Likes:

Screwball (04-23-2013)

Don't really care about foxtrax or close-ups. The new ticker (I think it's new?) is bugging me to no end though. Am I the only one that hates watching this flickering bar of text for three hours a night?

12. Likes:

919191 (04-23-2013),Always Red (04-23-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-23-2013),Caveman Techie (04-23-2013),durl (04-24-2013),Falcon7 (05-03-2013),Red Soup (04-23-2013),Roy Tucker (04-23-2013),Sea Ray (04-23-2013),TeamBoone (04-22-2013),WildcatFan (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Don't really care about foxtrax or close-ups. The new ticker (I think it's new?) is bugging me to no end though. Am I the only one that hates watching this flickering bar of text for three hours a night?
    Absolutely love this. Outside of the pitch count, this is my favorite thing FSO has done. It's nice to follow other MLB games while watching the Reds, as well as any other sports going on at the moment.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Absolutely love this. Outside of the pitch count, this is my favorite thing FSO has done. It's nice to follow other MLB games while watching the Reds, as well as any other sports going on at the moment.
    I like the ticker... I just wish it was NOT constant!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

15. Likes:

919191 (04-23-2013),AtomicDumpling (04-23-2013),Revering4Blue (04-24-2013),The Operator (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I like the ticker... I just wish it was NOT constant!
    The ticker would be fine if it was only baseball news. Couldn't care less about football, hockey or soccer while I am watching the Reds.

Though I think Thom Brennaman is rather insufferable, I would gladly take him over the abortion of a broadcast team the Cardinals have. Al Hrabosky is a disgrace to modern television and McLaughlin is as milk toast as it gets. It's no wonder why Fangraphs rated them near the bottom in their recent TV broadcasting rankings. It pretty much says it all right here:

29. St. Louis Cardinals
    Broadcasters: Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, and Rick Horton
    Ratings (Charisma/Analysis/Overall): 2.4, 2.1, 2.3

Three Reader Comments
    • “I shouldn’t feel like sleeping when my favorite team is on TV.”
    • “Whenever possible, I try to play some sort of alternate broadcast while the regular TV broadcast is on mute.”
    • “Al Hrabosky… is the reason I am an alcoholic.”

Notes
    It appears, from the reader comments, that Dan McLaughlin is a passable play-by-play man for most FanGraphs readers, but that Hrabosky and Horton are difficult to enjoy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/broad...ings-tv-30-21/

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The ticker would be fine if it was only baseball news. Couldn't care less about football, hockey or soccer while I am watching the Reds.
    Being the hockey nut that I am, I like that tickers cover other sports when watching a sporting event. Now that it's playoff time, I want to know what teams are in and what teams are out without switching the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Scores are great, I could do without reading 300 times in a game that Rolando McClain was arrested.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

20. Likes:

Always Red (04-23-2013),mdccclxix (04-23-2013)

Oh great another lets bash the Brennaman's thread.. Im really starting to realize that some of you on here has NEVER and will never appreciate what the Brennaman's expecially Marty and what he means to the Cincinnati reds.

Whether you like it or want to admit it Marty is and will always be THE BEST Reds announcer to ever do the reds and that's a fact.I love the fact that the Brennaman's tell it like it is and don't sugarcoat nothing rather than always say great things about a player when he is stinking up the joint.

If you don't like Marty then you don't like the reds.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?