Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Lets be thankful we get to watch 145 Reds games this year on TV. I sure am.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-23-2013),mdccclxix (04-23-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-23-2013),Revering4Blue (04-24-2013),RiverRat13 (04-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hopefully when the new TV deal comes around that the Reds go another direction, whether it be creating their own network like the Indians did with STO, or what/not. But living in Columbus, I'm sick and tired of the Reds getting bumped to a Standard Definition channel when either the Blue Jackets or Cavaliers are playing. Especially since the Indians have their own dedicated HD channel since Fox bought STO.

I'm fed up with FSO, and pray nightly that they only have a couple more years broadcasting the gaes.

My complaint isn't so much about the in-game broadcast, but the commercials. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a commercial from the national broadcast will start and then suddenly cut out and be replaced by a local commercial. Fox Sports Net Ohio is the absolute worst tv station for doing this. They do it almost every break and yes I know it's stupid, but it drives me absolutely insane! Every other tv station has figured out how to time it right, why can't the monkey's at FSN Ohio get it right?
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

6. Likes:

TeamBoone (04-23-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Love Chris Welsh, he's on board with newer stats which is remarkable for an ex- ballplayer his age, and he gives a great combo of that plus eyes on the ballplayer old time scouting.

Thom is very good during big moments, can't stand when he does the forced drama stuff, and he does this often, he just can't seem to help himself.

Jim Day is a nut and makes me laugh. Pic needs a job in middle management.

Love the HD, what a treat! Seriously, what bothers me most about FSN-OH? The commercials, and knowing I'm going to have to watch Pete Rose laying on that bed trying in his best 70 year old man flirtatious disgusting way to sell me a bed. We'll be seeing all the same commercials until the end of September.

8. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    My complaint isn't so much about the in-game broadcast, but the commercials. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a commercial from the national broadcast will start and then suddenly cut out and be replaced by a local commercial. Fox Sports Net Ohio is the absolute worst tv station for doing this. They do it almost every break and yes I know it's stupid, but it drives me absolutely insane! Every other tv station has figured out how to time it right, why can't the monkey's at FSN Ohio get it right?
    Stuff like this, and other technical problems listed in other posts, will continue to happen to Fox Sports Ohio

Not to be mean, but basically, if you are halfway decent at producing a television show, especially on the technical side, you're not staying in Ohio. All the good, high paying jobs in that field are on the coasts, especially NY and LA, and now Bristol if you're into sports.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I go back to the days when you rarely saw a Reds game on TV. So I'm not complaining much about anything. Now I can watch every game either live or replay on MLBTV. In HD to boot too. I can also dubbed in either teams broadcasters,radio or TV. I've listened to Marty quite a bit with the TV this season. I do wish they would use FoxTrax with every pitch. A few other broadcasts use it that way.
    Thom and Welsh go together very well, IMO. I will listen to them when they are together. The others they bring in I don't care for so much. Again,I'm just happy and its quite unbelievable, that I can view any and every game the Reds play. Its made me even more of a baseball junkie.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

jmac (04-23-2013)

I've watched a lot of the other teams broadcasts and I'm really glad I don't have to watch most of them. I think the Reds broadcasts are much better than most.

13. Likes:

mdccclxix (04-23-2013),MikeThierry (04-23-2013),TeamBoone (04-23-2013)

I can't believe I read that "Brantley is great"... I'm really confused now

15. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-23-2013)

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I go back to the days when you rarely saw a Reds game on TV. So I'm not complaining much about anything. Now I can watch every game either live or replay on MLBTV. In HD to boot too.. Again,I'm just happy and its quite unbelievable, that I can view any and every game the Reds play. Its made me even more of a baseball junkie.
    Yes ! Back in the 80's, I got around 12 games a year and sometimes depending on the weather, you didnt get the one game every month you was wanting to see without having to stand on one foot while holding antenna to get better reception.
    So though, it's overall not perfect, I am satisfied.

I like the ticker. They have gone from showing scores maybe once or twice a game to constant and all sports, but I'm not gonna complain. After awhile, you tune out the announcers that annoy you, esp. if you watch them every night and they are telling you the same thing every ballgame.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It's been that way at least since Harry Caray's days. I can remember the WGN superstation days when Harry wouldn't miss making a comment about attractive young ladies in the stands.
    In the stands? Hell, remember that woman that tried to pitch as a professional? She was in the minors? I still remember Caray saying something to the effect of "who cares whether she can pitch? What does she look like?"
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-23-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think the broadcasts are much improved. And I like all the announcers for the most part.

My least favorite is probably Thom. I agree about the forced drama he does from time to time.

Kelch has grown on me.
    I'm in the minority because I really love Brantley. Sure, he's kind of an oddball, but it works for me. Love him and Marty together, because he makes Marty laugh a lot.

The only thing that could make it better is if they hired Dan Hoard.

21. Likes:

CySeymour (04-23-2013)

The FS Ohio production can sometimes seem to be lacking, but they've been improving little by little each year and they're a definite improvement over what they were several years ago.

Add in the fact that they'll televise 145 games in HD makes it even sweeter, and in the end that's what I care about the most. I remember the days when most games weren't on TV, then roughly half the games were on, then all the games but only a select few in HD. Now we get almost the entire season televised in HD, and it's hard to complain about that.

There are things with the production that could be better, but as long as I'm getting the game I'm happy.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

This is an odd post. I would actually say the exact opposite.

FSO has good graphics, good camera work, strong audio, and nationally-recognized commentary (Thom) - all makes it seem like one of the highest production quality broadcasts in MLB.

STO, for example, is awful compared - their audio is weak, crowd noise is minimal, commentary is boring, and graphics are a huge problem (scoreboard disappears in any view that IS NOT the standard pitcher/catcher/batter view).
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

I am upset that I can not get Fox Sports Ohio over the air here in Vermont with my rabbit ears antenna. I only get to see the Reds when they are the free game on mlb.com.
    Last edited by klw; 04-23-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Turn Off Ads?