Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

part of BBN

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    He played for the Bengals, he roots for the Bngals, he does pbp for the Bengals, and when he gets excited and starts yelling, you can't understand him but you know it's good.
    I would try listening to Bengal games and Lapham made it almost impossible as his yelling , even if it was cheering type such as "Come on...Come on" would drown out the play by play guy constantly.
    I dont mind a color guy "cheering" as Picoro does (low level and doesnt interfere) during UK games, but when it drowns out the PBP man, it makes "listening" of no benefit. Sometimes they forget, that radio telecast is our only means of following. Maybe they get caught up in the moment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I would try listening to Bengal games and Lapham made it almost impossible as his yelling , even if it was cheering type such as "Come on...Come on" would drown out the play by play guy constantly.
    I dont mind a color guy "cheering" as Picoro does (low level and doesnt interfere) during UK games, but when it drowns out the PBP man, it makes "listening" of no benefit. Sometimes they forget, that radio telecast is our only means of following. Maybe they get caught up in the moment.
    Lapham cheering is fine, but the worst was when Brd Johanson was with him as he yelled on good plays every bit as much as Lap. Such behavior from a pbp guy was beyond irritating. It was inappropriate. It's sad that he held the job for so long

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    For real? I didn't like grande but he has a standard moral code and walked that line. He doesn't cuss. He had made a commitment to himself to keep things "clean" in his professional career and "damn" is a word he believed to be a word kids didn't need to hear during his broadcast. Why slam him for that?

Edmonds love, I get. Goofy phrases, sure. But for keeping a standard for himself? Whatever.
    For real. George not saying "damn" was beyond PC. It was absurd. I can assure you I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's one thing to not actually swear in front of kids. "Damn" is not a swear word. George refusing to say it was a condescending move on his part.

Again, just glad Grande didn't do Ohio State games or he would have been too goody-two-shoes to say "The Best Damn Band In The Land."

Admittedly, Grande not saying "damn" is far down my list of complaints about George, but it was on there. FoxSports had a show called "The Best Damn Sports Show Period." George was promoting that show and sounded like an idiot saying "The Best Sports Show Period!" as they showed the graphic that had the real name of the show. It was actually pretty funny every time he did it. My friends and I used to always talk about what a clown Grande was and that he couldn't care less if the Reds won or lost. He also had very little knowledge of Reds history, other than the obvious stuff (BRM, etc). Not surprising considering Grande was a SoCal boy with no ties to the Reds. Good riddance. Glad we have Thom instead of George. People can rip Thom all they want. A. He's a better overall announcer (just look at his resume compared to Grande's; and Thom is much younger) and B. Thom is actually a Reds fan and it shows.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    For real. George not saying "damn" was beyond PC. It was absurd. I can assure you I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's one thing to not actually swear in front of kids. "Damn" is not a swear word. George refusing to say it was a condescending move on his part.

Again, just glad Grande didn't do Ohio State games or he would have been too goody-two-shoes to say "The Best Damn Band In The Land."

Admittedly, Grande not saying "damn" is far down my list of complaints about George, but it was on there. FoxSports had a show called "The Best Damn Sports Show Period." George was promoting that show and sounded like an idiot saying "The Best Sports Show Period!" as they showed the graphic that had the real name of the show. It was actually pretty funny every time he did it. My friends and I used to always talk about what a clown Grande was and that he couldn't care less if the Reds won or lost. He also had very little knowledge of Reds history, other than the obvious stuff (BRM, etc). Not surprising considering Grande was a SoCal boy with no ties to the Reds. Good riddance. Glad we have Thom instead of George. People can rip Thom all they want. A. He's a better overall announcer (just look at his resume compared to Grande's; and Thom is much younger) and B. Thom is actually a Reds fan and it shows.
    Not judging grande relative to thom. Just saying grande is extremely old school with his code in not cussing on air. Society isn't his dictate. That's pretty admirable to me. His other skills at the mic aren't though.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Not judging grande relative to thom. Just saying grande is extremely old school with his code in not cussing on air. Society isn't his dictate. That's pretty admirable to me. His other skills at the mic aren't though.
    I grew up in the Radio era, so all these games on TV is relatively new to me. It's hard to complain much when I get to see my favorite team almost every night.

As for who is best, the more I listen to all these guys, the more I realize how good George Grande was. I like Kelch and Welch. I can tolerate Marty. Can't really stand Brantley. Thom is a pretty good play by play guy, but I just can't deal with him otherwise. When I think about it, I'm pretty happy when I hear George on the air compared to these other guys. Let me watch the game and don't offend my ears with a hack job of announcing (Brantley), a an off topic rambling (Marty) or a misguided rant (Thom).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Always Red (05-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Lapham cheering is fine, but the worst was when Brd Johanson was with him as he yelled on good plays every bit as much as Lap. Such behavior from a pbp guy was beyond irritating. It was inappropriate. It's sad that he held the job for so long
    haha Everyone has different tastes! I loved Brad Johanson as PBP for Bengals.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

For real. George not saying "damn" was beyond PC.
    This was at the request of the Cincinnati Reds, not FSO or George. Why does everyone think it was George Grande?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Everyone has different tastes!
    wisest words of this thread.

11. Likes:

jmac (05-04-2013)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This was at the request of the Cincinnati Reds, not FSO or George. Why does everyone think it was George Grande?
    Because Chris would say it on the same broadcast.

They were announcing the Best Damn Sports Show Ever (not sure if exact name). George would omit the damn.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It was George. I respected him for that. IMO there was need for a show to have that in their name. That told me what kind of show it was and I rarely watched it because it was that kind of in your face show that I don't like.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

jmac (05-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I do too, he's the "Joe Nuxhall equivalent" of the Bengals.
    That's exactly what Lap is. I'd never really thought of it that way before, but you nailed it perfectly.

Really? You diatribe against someone for refusing to use vulgar language? Grande has a lot of problems, but choosing to walk a very fine line on the use of vulgar language is not one of them.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Incorrect. Every other Reds TV announcer (Welsh, for example) would say "damn" when promoting "The Best Damn Sports Show Period."

It was Grande being way over-the-top with his cheesiness.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 05-04-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Really? You diatribe against someone for refusing to use vulgar language? Grande has a lot of problems, but choosing to walk a very fine line on the use of vulgar language is not one of them.
    As I said in the very post you quoted, in no way do I want someone using "vulgar" language, especially on Reds broadcasts. I get mad when someone drops an F bomb around my kid at a Reds game, even though I know I should expect it going in. Bottom line: Is "damn" a vulgar word? Does George Grande have the right to tell me it is by refusing to say the word when promoting a show that has that word in it? Does he come across as a condescending person when he does it? (I'm too good to say this "vulgar" word.) Again, read above.

You must have cringed when Welsh said that "vulgar" word. And again, in the very post you quoted, I said Grande refusing to say "damn" was very far down on my list of complaints about him. So, at least we're in agreement that he did have much bigger problems than that.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 05-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.

haha Everyone has different tastes! I loved Brad Johanson as PBP for Bengals.
    So, first you incorrectly said it was at FSO's request that GG didn't say the word "damn" and you presented it as fact. You didn't say "I think" it was at FSO's request, you just said it was. That makes you 0-for-1 (GIDP with bases loaded and one out).

And now you inform us you liked Brad Johansen as a football PBP announcer. 0-for-2 (K with the bases loaded, down one, two outs in the 9th).

Kidding bro. (Maybe.)

Turn Off Ads?