Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Who honestly cares that much about the word "damn" being said or not?

Grande, in the course of an entire season, was irritating. I actually enjoy him for 6 games a year though. I like how the Reds mix it up with Thom and Kelch as well. Welsh is always great, and it's nice to have the Cowboy do color once in a while. It's a good mix.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Different generations and values.

If I used damn, hell, suck, or fart around my dad when I was a kid, I would find myself in very hot water very quickly. And there are still plenty of people where those words are swear words and not to be spoken. I respect that. My daughter never uses them (unlike her dad).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

4. Likes:

Always Red (05-04-2013),cumberlandreds (05-06-2013),RichRed (05-08-2013)

Same here, Roy.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Who honestly cares that much about the word "damn" being said or not?

Grande, in the course of an entire season, was irritating. I actually enjoy him for 6 games a year though. I like how the Reds mix it up with Thom and Kelch as well. Welsh is always great, and it's nice to have the Cowboy do color once in a while. It's a good mix.
    Fair enough. I'll drop the damn thing.

Seriously, I will since George omitting that from his on-air vocabulary was miniscule compared to all the other annoying things he did. I never should have brought it up. It minimizes all the other things that made him nearly unlistenable. Was just trying to add levity by bring up the absurdity of it. I mean, c'mon, not saying "damn" when it's in the title of a show you're promoting? Whoops, there I go again. I promised I wouldn't bring it up again.

OK, for real this time. I won't bring that up any longer. I'm serious, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    As I said in the very post you quoted, in no way do I want someone using "vulgar" language, especially on Reds broadcasts. I get mad when someone drops an F bomb around my kid at a Reds game, even though I know I should expect it going in. Bottom line: Is "damn" a vulgar word? Does George Grande have the right to tell me it is by refusing to say the word when promoting a show that has that word in it? Does he come across as a condescending person when he does it? (I'm too good to say this "vulgar" word.) Again, read above.

You must have cringed when Welsh said that "vulgar" word. And again, in the very post you quoted, I said Grande refusing to say "damn" was very far down on my list of complaints about him. So, at least we're in agreement that he did have much bigger problems than that.
    He draws a line where you don't. Since its his decision and not yours, your vote doesn't count. Nana nana boo boo.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I just had to mute my tv. Who did they just have do the play by play in the bottom of the second? The guy was absolutely terrible

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I just had to mute my tv. Who did they just have do the play by play in the bottom of the second? The guy was absolutely terrible
    A guy from "Make a Wish". I'm sure he was terribly nervous. Considering,

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Have a heart. He was a college broadcaster from Wright State, facing major cancer surgery later this week. He probably doesn't have much more play-by-play experience than any of us have. Everyone's got to start somewhere.
    /r/reds

11. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (05-08-2013),Blitz Dorsey (05-08-2013),dubc47834 (05-08-2013),mdccclxix (05-08-2013),Roy Tucker (05-09-2013)

Also, he probably had next to no prep time. He's fairly familiar with the Reds players, but many of the Braves might be unknown to him.

And he was probably super-nervous.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Yeah, the guy was not that good, but I thought it was VERY cool that they let him have that opportunity. Seeing as he is having major cancer surgery Thursday, that was a really, really commendable thing they did for the young man. Just a little thing that he will probably never forget for the rest of his life....very cool.

14. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-08-2013)

The guy was awful at PBP, but kudos to the Reds for allowing him to do it. Kinda the same as having Teddy the ballboy out there. The Reds are really great about giving opportunities to disabled people to have some fun at the ballgame.

Have you ever seen the wheelchair sections? They're constantly bringing them sodas, coneys and hotdogs, I've never seen anyone pay for anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    A guy from "Make a Wish". I'm sure he was terribly nervous. Considering,
    Normally the recipients of "Make a Wish" have a condition that is terminal. So I am not going to criticize him at all. Its great that the Reds let him do this and get a great deal of enjoyment from it. I hope all goes well for him while he is being treated.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I posted this in the Gameday thread too. You choose who did the best job of calling the HR's last night. Thom or Marty?
    I'm going with Thom.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I posted this in the Gameday thread too. You choose who did the best job of calling the HR's last night. Thom or Marty?
    I'm going with Thom.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214
    In my humble opinion, when it comes to big plays, Thom is one of the best in the business. The excitement and enthusiasm in his voice nearly always makes those big plays even more awesome for me. He turns into a big ole kid, overflowing with excitement for his team (as there is absolutely NO mistaking who he is rooting for when such plays happen despite the fact that I have always heard that they are not supposed to show "'bias").

19. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-08-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    In my humble opinion, when it comes to big plays, Thom is one of the best in the business. The excitement and enthusiasm in his voice nearly always makes those big plays even more awesome for me. He turns into a big ole kid, overflowing with excitement for his team (as there is absolutely NO mistaking who he is rooting for when such plays happen despite the fact that I have always heard that they are not supposed to show "'bias").
    Yep, the Thom haters are way over-the-top. They'll say things like "he's awful" and "I'd be fine with never hearing him again."

Ridiculous statements.

He's one of the best TV PBP broadcasters in the country, he's a huge Reds fan and it shows. I'm good with that! Does he do some annoying things? Yes. But that shouldn't overshadow all the good things he does. He's a clear upgrade over his predecessor (Grande) and the people in this thread bashing Thom are going too far, IMO. If he's not your preference, that's fine. But reading this thread, one might think Thom Brennaman was the worst announcer ever. Listening to Thom is like watching the game with one of your buddies who loves the Reds so much that you have to remind him it's not a football game and you don't have to live and die with every play (pitch). It would grate at me if I thought Thom didn't care if the Reds won or not. But his passion is real. He gets ticked off because he's a Reds fan.

And when something goes well for the Reds, he's lights-out good. Grande would have treated Choo's walk-off with the emotion of calling a single in the third inning. (Well, unless Jim Edmonds hit it to beat the Reds, then Grande might have starting singing Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" right there live on the air.)

Turn Off Ads?