Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

I used to love to turn down the sound to the TV and listen to Marty and Joe, but haven't been able to do that in some time.

Marty is a curmudgeonly uncle whom I still like because I've grown up with him, gotten used to him, and since Joe liked him so much, have made allowances for him. Marty's mood has much improved since his fairly recent wedding, IMO. He seems happier.

No one can call a great moment like Marty Brennaman. I still love Marty because of our history together, my idea of heaven is sitting in my backyard on a warm summer night, sipping a cold one, and listening to Marty and Joe call another win for the BRM.

Marty's not what he was, but then again, neither am I.

Thom just irritates me in a mostly harmless way. He is a huge Reds fan, and I respect that side of him. Some folks love his over dramatization of every little thing. I don't. But I'm gonna love it when he goes off on the woo'ers!

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (04-24-2013),Fil3232 (04-24-2013),Revering4Blue (04-25-2013),Roy Tucker (04-24-2013),westofyou (04-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I have a friend who is friends with Thom's wife, she always tells me what great guy he is etc... I'm sure he is, I'm sure he's Reds fan, I'm sure he's good broadcaster, I just think he's a better football broadcaster than baseball.

5. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (04-24-2013),Tom Servo (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Funny that you bring that up. Do you remember in the late 80s/early 90s when Marty did a year of UK TV telecasts and was considered the possible frontrunner to replace Cawood when he stepped down on radio? Somehow Hacker was able to use his influence to void the deal.

The result was one of my favorite Marty quotes of all-time: "On his best day and my worst day, I'm a better announcer than Ralph Hacker."

Marty = HOFer. Ralph = tongue-tied incompetent who could neither keep up with the action nor pronounce players' names.
    I remember it well. It was Marty paired with Larry Conley that season and I thought they were great. I still loved Marty back then. I thought he was perfect for basketball, because the speed and action keeps him mostly doing what I like best about him (calling the game), and prevents him from doing what I like least about him (his opinions).

I'm not going to argue Marty isn't a HOFer, because he obviously earned it. I just think he used to be so much better than he has been the last 8-10 years or so. As for Ralph Hacker, if there was a HOF for announcing incompetence, he'd be a unanimous first ballot selection.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Marty was way too opionated to have ever been the UK broadcaster. It would have never flown with UK. I liked him doing the UK games but it would have never lasted.
    The legendary Cawood Ledford was pretty opinionated himself. In fact, that's what many UK fans liked most about him. If the team deserved criticism, he didn't hesitate to dump it on them. He was similar to Marty in that regard, but Marty takes it to another level when calling Reds games. The year he did UK basketball, I thought he was very fair and consistent. I remember hating when I heard the Brennaman/Conley duo wouldn't be back for a second season. They were a great match.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I remember it well. It was Marty paired with Larry Conley that season and I thought they were great. I still loved Marty back then. I thought he was perfect for basketball, because the speed and action keeps him mostly doing what I like best about him (calling the game), and prevents him from doing what I like least about him (his opinions).

I'm not going to argue Marty isn't a HOFer, because he obviously earned it. I just think he used to be so much better than he has been the last 8-10 years or so. As for Ralph Hacker, if there was a HOF for announcing incompetence, he'd be a unanimous first ballot selection.
    Marty got his chops with the Carolina Cougars prior to the Reds, he was I believe at his hiring a more polished Basketball announcer than baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Marty got his chops with the Carolina Cougars prior to the Reds, he was I believe at his hiring a more polished Basketball announcer than baseball.
    I think I'd heard that before. Didn't he also do a lot of college basketball games for the ACC Network in the 80's and/or 90's??

Not sure about the Cougars but he definitely called games for the Virginia Squires (who at one point had both Dr. J and George Gervin). He also did games for the AAA Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides. Born in Portsmouth, VA, just a stone's throw from me.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Not sure about the Cougars but he definitely called games for the Virginia Squires (who at one point had both Dr. J and George Gervin). He also did games for the AAA Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides. Born in Portsmouth, VA, just a stone's throw from me.
    That's right... gots them mixed up.. gosh it's been so long since the Squires took on The Floridians in the playoffs

The legendary Cawood Ledford was pretty opinionated himself. In fact, that's what many UK fans liked most about him. If the team deserved criticism, he didn't hesitate to dump it on them. He was similar to Marty in that regard, but Marty takes it to another level when calling Reds games. The year he did UK basketball, I thought he was very fair and consistent. I remember hating when I heard the Brennaman/Conley duo wouldn't be back for a second season. They were a great match.
    Cawood was opionionated is different sort of way. He could criticize a player or official and it wouldn't seem so bad. Marty does/did it in a very arrogant way. Somewhere along the way he would have ticked off the AD or President and that would have ended it. Marty was good the year he did games. Probably the best TV announcer they ever had. UK may be the only college team to have two different HOF baseball announcers to do their TV games. Marty was one and Milo Hamilton did their games for a season or two just before Marty. I didn't like Hamilton then and still don't.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

13. Likes:

Chip R (04-24-2013)

That's right... gots them mixed up.. gosh it's been so long since the Squires took on The Floridians in the playoffs
    I don't really have any memory of the Squires but I know my dad went to some of the games.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I think I'd heard that before. Didn't he also do a lot of college basketball games for the ACC Network in the 80's and/or 90's??
    He also did March Madness games for Westwood One Radio, or something like that? He was really good at it, but he had some sort of falling out. He's still bitter about it, and it usually resurfaces each March when someone asks him about basketball.

New York Red, I hope you didn't interpret my post as being critical of you for your views on Marty. It's possible I might even agree with you had I been able to listen to him more over the years.

Because of difficulties syncing radio/internet broadcasts with TV, and because my local radio station often preempts games, I've only listened to Marty a handful of times the last 15 years. And never for a full game. Only rare times when I'm driving during games. The Marty I remember is from the mid 70s to late 90s, when I listened to him and Joe religiously.
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 04-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    New York Red, I hope you didn't interpret my post as being critical of you for your views on Marty.
    No sir, I didn't take it that way at all. Like a lot of Reds fans, I grew up with Marty and Joe. I actually remember Al Michaels doing Reds games before Marty came along. But it was Marty and Joe I remember falling asleep at night listening to as a kid. To me the Reds were the Big Red Machine and Marty and Joe brought them to my radio, whether it was while outside in the yard on summer nights, or laying in bed on school nights. I just think Marty changed over the years -- perhaps I did too -- to the point I don't enjoy listening to him much anymore.

For the record, I watched a few innings of the game on the Cubs network on WGN last night, and I can say for a fact I'll take the Reds broadcasts on FSO over what the Cubs have 8 days a week.

19. Likes:

TeamBoone (04-24-2013)

Watching Cubs broadcast today, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Turn Off Ads?