Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Why does Marty need innings off??
    The radio listeners need the break just as much as Marty does

In seriousness.. this was something Marty and Joe started doing unofficially.. They would give the other guy a break.. When Joe left, Marty insisted that it was part of his job description to get a break..

As most people can tell, Marty really doesn't enjoy his job anymore. I don't know why he hasn't retired yet.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Haven't Noticed That For The Last Couple Of Years.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I think one thing the Thom haters need to keep in mind is that he's probably more emotionally-invested in the Reds than any of the other broadcasters. He's a Reds fan and it shows. I know it rubs some of you wrong at times, but to me it's just like watching the game with a buddy who loves the Reds, but has a bad habit of complaining a bit too much. George Grande was MUCH more annoying to me because George couldn't care less if the Reds won, would actually get excited at times when the opposition did well and would tell boring stories about players on the other team ad nauseum.
    There's a difference between an announcer who's a homer (I'm talking to you, NESN's Jack Edwards) and someone who nitpicks, criticizes, overanalyzes, and attempts to create controversies. Thom, by far, adds nothing to a Reds broadcast beyond trying to be an ESPN-lite personality.

Thom is solid overall -- there's a reason he does national broadcasts too and isn't just some local guy.
    Yeah, it's called using dad's name.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't like my announcers yelling at me, and that's what it seems like with Thom. His over-emphasizing portions of words, complete words, or repeating a point just annoys me to no end.
    Exactly. If I had trouble hearing a broadcast, the remote has a volume on it. I don't need the likes of Thom or Jack Buck yelling in order to call a game.

In short, Thom is horrible. I'm certain he's a great guy but, yigods, he shouldn't be calling local games.

He also did March Madness games for Westwood One Radio, or something like that? He was really good at it, but he had some sort of falling out. He's still bitter about it, and it usually resurfaces each March when someone asks him about basketball.
    Marty called the '92 UK/Duke Regional Final. I remembering listening on the way home from that year's OHSAA state tourny.

Schnickelfritz

Ha, that's a pretty damn accurate depiction of Thom there. But again, that's because he's a huge Reds fan at heart and can't help himself at times.
    As I said before, you can be a homer announcer. There are lots of them. But Thom isn't a homer announcer.

I like Welsh.

I dislike Thom.

I dislike Marty most of the time.

I like Brantley some of the time.

I dislike Brantley some of the time.

I dislike Kelch.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I will say, if you really really don't like Marty, you're probably extremely unappreciative of what a great broadcaster he is and are taking that for granted. He's probably the 2nd best current broadcaster next to Vin Scully.

9. Likes:

OGB (04-25-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I will say, if you really really don't like Marty, you're probably extremely unappreciative of what a great broadcaster he is and are taking that for granted. He's probably the 2nd best current broadcaster next to Vin Scully.
    You know, I love Marty, but Scully is in a league and class of his own.

Best ever. American treasure. Hall of One

I also really enjoy when Costas does baseball, he's a natural at it and its obvious he loves the game. Even if he is a Cards fan.

I vote Marty 3rd on that list, only because I never got to enjoy Waite Hoyt, whom my dad and grandfather REVERED.

11. Likes:

BurgervilleBuck (04-24-2013)

Marty paints a picture and tells a story like no other. When he drops the nasty edge, he's as good as there is. When Mr. Nasty comes out, it makes me wince. The last 3 years though, he's been better with the Reds doing better. In the early 2000's, he really was getting insufferable. But Marty can drop the edge for long stints now.

Thom is a disappointment. I remember him right out of Ohio U and doing the weekend sports on WLWT as an intern. It was like "hey look, its Marty's kid". He was fresh and innocent and had the Brenneman cache and I thought he was going places. I felt proud when he got the Cubs gig and started doing Fox and then the Dbacks. And when it was announced he was coming back to do the Reds, I thought it was going to be great.

But he just is so heavy-handed. He just starts in with the pronouncements and thinks that using the stentorian tone will add emphasis and make his case. And he's so quick on the trigger to get on someones case. By and large, I'm a glass half-full guy and I just don't like a dark edge all the time. If he'd stick just to PBP and lose all the editorializing, I'd like him a lot more. He's a pretty decent announcer when he puts his mind to it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

Chip R (04-24-2013),RichRed (04-24-2013)

I'll miss Marty when he is gone.

He's not perfect but I've grown up with the guy. I was just thinking the other day how well I am used to his cadence (I know exactly when the pitch is thrown).

15. Likes:

Always Red (04-24-2013),jmac (04-25-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    But he just is so heavy-handed. He just starts in with the pronouncements and thinks that using the stentorian tone will add emphasis and make his case.
    It's his football background -- football broadcasts are huge on creating "storylines" for the viewer. They'll identify 3 or 4 things at the start of the game that they focus on, and then try to shoehorn everything else towards that point.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Stat geek...and proud
    He also did March Madness games for Westwood One Radio, or something like that? He was really good at it, but he had some sort of falling out. He's still bitter about it, and it usually resurfaces each March when someone asks him about basketball.
    He did the Final Four actually. And he was very good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

18. Likes:

Chip R (04-24-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'll miss Marty when he is gone.

He's not perfect but I've grown up with the guy. I was just thinking the other day how well I am used to his cadence (I know exactly when the pitch is thrown).
    Yep. My thoughts exactly. Although he make we cringe a lot I love hearing him when he's in a good mood and calling the action and not grumpy. There's no one better other than Vin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vin Scully is a bore. I've listened and do not appreciate his calling of a game nor his overall style. Fire away.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

21. Likes:

New York Red (04-24-2013)

I Hate The Dodgers.

Turn Off Ads?