Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

I will add one thing that may be a change of pace to some extent.
    I dont mind...Jeff/Tom/ etc...as I stated earlier in this thread, it beats the days of getting maybe 10-12 games a year.
    However one thing I will point out is, it seems the guys who interviews Dusty and the players after the game are getting brutal.
    Not Picoro but the guys in the clubhouse.
    Game before this one, I thought they could have asked about pitching around Werth. Then last night...I thought maybe they would ask Dusty about Paul's grind it out AB.
    Instead they ask things like..." So Dusty, how does it feel to win ?" Duh !
    Last night , it was " Now that you have won 2 in a row on road, are you where you want to be ?" to which Dusty replied sort of perturbed" No...nowhere near it "
    It isnt just Reds guys either. On way in this morning listening to ESPN radio, one guy (dont remember who) asked an NBA player "if you all are able to win game 5, do you think you can close out series in 6 ?"
    The player responded correctly, "we arent even thinking past game 5 right now".
    Wow ...not very good questioning or maybe it is just me.
    Last edited by jmac; 04-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I will add one thing that may be a change of pace to some extent.
    I dont mind...Jeff/Tom/ etc...as I stated earlier in this thread, it beats the days of getting maybe 10-12 games a year.
    However one thing I will point out is, it seems the guys who interviews Dusty and the players after the game are getting brutal.
    Not Picoro but the guys in the clubhouse.
    Game before this one, I thought they could have asked about pitching around Werth. Then last night...I thought maybe they would ask Dusty about Paul's grind it out AB.
    Instead they ask things like..." So Dusty, how does it feel to win ?" Duh !
    Last night , it was " Now that you have won 2 in a row on road, are you where you want to be ?" to which Dusty replied sort of perturbed" No...nowhere near it "
    It isnt just Reds guys either. On way in this morning listening to ESPN radio, one guy (dont remember who) asked an NBA player "if you all are able to win game 5, do you think you can close out series in 6 ?"
    The player responded correctly, "we arent even thinking past game 5 right now".
    Wow ...not very good questioning or maybe it is just me.
    Sports reporters just arent very smart and half the time know nothing about the sport other than you score and there is a ball involved somewhere

Oh and the team with the most points wins..weird concept

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I once told a mock-trial team that if they ever wanted to learn what a "leading question" was, they should just watch any sports post-game show and listen to what gets asked to coaches and players.

By far the worst offender of this is Dave Lapham in Bengals post-game shows. I don't think he's ever asked a player a question that didn't already have the answer he was looking for contained in the wording.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I distinctly remember a particular game when I was in high school, would have been around 1985 or 1986. The Reds were playing San Diego at home and the game went extras. I was lying in bed listening to the game on a transistor radio waiting for the game to end before I went to sleep. Tony Gwynn hit a homer to put the Padres up 2-1 in the top of the 10th. I still remember Joe's call like it was yesterday. "Gwynn swings and it's 2-1." Then there was just a bit of silence until he announced the next hitter coming up. That was it, never said where the ball went or anything. It pretty much summed up how I felt as a fan when it happened.
    I remember Joe doing that quite often. Marty still does it too. I love it. Although it's a kick below the belt when the opposition hits a big HR, it makes you feel a little better that your announcer is going through the pain with you. Misery loves company, something along those lines.

And this is the precise reason (or one of the many reasons) why I couldn't stand George Grande. He would act all happy even when the opposition just hit a crushing HR. Grande might even go on to tell you some boring story about that player's father. Exactly what you want to hear after a opposing player hits a HR to put the Reds behind: George Grande acting all cheerful and telling you that player's life story.

Give me Marty and Joe any day.

And once again, thank goodness Grande is gone (or only does a handful of games per year). All the people ripping Thom in this thread have short memories. As annoying as Thom can be at times, he's light years better than George Grande. At least Thom wants the Reds to win.

You think George Grande would have done Reds games for so long if he could find a better gig? Heck no. ESPN no longer wanted Grande, he bounced around and then landed as an announcer for a team he didn't care about and had no previous ties to. It worked out about as well as a trainwreck.

Meanwhile, Thom's never had any trouble finding jobs ... and good ones. Maybe some of you think it's all nepotism, but that would have worn out by now. Thom does national MLB games, NFL games, college football games, plus all his duties with the Reds. Rip on Thom all you want (and I agree he can be annoying) but I also suffered through listening to George Grande so often that I realize Thom is an extreme upgrade.

I think "Smiling side of the scoreboard" is right up there with "This one belongs to the Reds" and "This is the 'ol left-hander rounding third and heading for home."

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I once told a mock-trial team that if they ever wanted to learn what a "leading question" was, they should just watch any sports post-game show and listen to what gets asked to coaches and players.

By far the worst offender of this is Dave Lapham in Bengals post-game shows. I don't think he's ever asked a player a question that didn't already have the answer he was looking for contained in the wording.
    DAN HOARD: Let's go down to Lap who's with Andrew Whitworth in the locker room.

DAVE LAPHAM: We're here with Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth. Whit, you guys just blew 'em up all day long. You were physical and relentless. Would you agree that you guys won the battle up front?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I love Dave Lapham.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

8. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (05-08-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Me too, but he is a bad interviewer. Awesome color guy. I like him better on Bengal radio than I do on Big 12 football, but he is solid in both places. When he is doing Big 12 he puts away the pom-poms and just calls the game; I prefer the excitement and the homer cheering for the Bengals.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I do too, he's the "Joe Nuxhall equivalent" of the Bengals.

Joe never asked players very tough questions either, rather there were lots of batting practice tosses.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's a mostly-harmless jock. NFL broadcast booths are littered with guys like him, and it's hard to single out any one thing he does that's any worse than the rest of the group.

The pairing of him and Brad Johansen was nails-in-the-brain awful, though. Games were outright unlistenable.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

12. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I do too, he's the "Joe Nuxhall equivalent" of the Bengals.

Joe never asked players very tough questions either, rather there were lots of batting practice tosses.
    You just (unintentionally, I know) urinated on Joe Nuxhall's grave by comparing him to Dave Lapham.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    You just (unintentionally, I know) urinated on Joe Nuxhall's grave by comparing him to Dave Lapham.
    Blasphemy, I would never do such a thing, that's why I put quotes on it, BD.

I compared Lap to Nuxie. He played for the Bengals, he roots for the Bngals, he does pbp for the Bengals, and when he gets excited and starts yelling, you can't understand him but you know it's good.

Remind you of anyone we know?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Blasphemy, I would never do such a thing, that's why I put quotes on it, BD.

I compared Lap to Nuxie. He played for the Bengals, he roots for the Bngals, he does pbp for the Bengals, and when he gets excited and starts yelling, you can't understand him but you know it's good.

Remind you of anyone we know?
    I hear you bud.

I remember Joe doing that quite often. Marty still does it too. I love it. Although it's a kick below the belt when the opposition hits a big HR, it makes you feel a little better that your announcer is going through the pain with you. Misery loves company, something along those lines.

And this is the precise reason (or one of the many reasons) why I couldn't stand George Grande. He would act all happy even when the opposition just hit a crushing HR. Grande might even go on to tell you some boring story about that player's father. Exactly what you want to hear after a opposing player hits a HR to put the Reds behind: George Grande acting all cheerful and telling you that player's life story.

Give me Marty and Joe any day.

And once again, thank goodness Grande is gone (or only does a handful of games per year). All the people ripping Thom in this thread have short memories. As annoying as Thom can be at times, he's light years better than George Grande. At least Thom wants the Reds to win.

You think George Grande would have done Reds games for so long if he could find a better gig? Heck no. ESPN no longer wanted Grande, he bounced around and then landed as an announcer for a team he didn't care about and had no previous ties to. It worked out about as well as a trainwreck.

Meanwhile, Thom's never had any trouble finding jobs ... and good ones. Maybe some of you think it's all nepotism, but that would have worn out by now. Thom does national MLB games, NFL games, college football games, plus all his duties with the Reds. Rip on Thom all you want (and I agree he can be annoying) but I also suffered through listening to George Grande so often that I realize Thom is an extreme upgrade.

I think "Smiling side of the scoreboard" is right up there with "This one belongs to the Reds" and "This is the 'ol left-hander rounding third and heading for home."
    Grande's pretty well respected around baseball. He's still the MC for the Hall of Fame every year. My guess is he could pretty much get his pick of jobs but liked what he was doing.

I'll agree Thom doesn't get the national gigs he does based on the Brennaman name. It may have gotten him a job, especially in Cincinnati initially, but I don't think Marty's particularly well known outside of the city. Ask other teams fans about famous local broadcasters and you'll likely hear Vin Scully, Jack Buck, Jack Brickman and Harry Carey, and that annoying guy for the Yankees, and that other annoying guy for the Yankees, and that annoying woman for the Yankees before you get to Brennaman.

I don't think it's necessarily a plus that an announcer wants "his team" to win, depending on the announcer, it can be a plus or a minus. It would probably not irritate so much if the scale of announcers mood went from "slightly disappointed in a loss to slightly excited about a win" Instead the younger Brennaman's mood seems to vary from "slightly excited about a win to I'M SO INCREDIBLY ANGRY I'M DEMANDING MY MONEY BACK" for a loss.

As others have pointed out, it's the ABSOLUTE value of whatever is happening at the minute that Thom assigns things that irritates me. Things may be going good, they may be going bad in a given game, but the beauty of baseball is that there are going to be 161 more games. Perspective is not something Thom has learned particularly well.

If you could set up a drinking game to all of Grande's cheesy sayings, you'd drink yourself silly if you had a belt every time Thom said Absolutely.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

17. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    If you could set up a drinking game to all of Grande's cheesy sayings, you'd drink yourself silly if you had a belt every time Thom said Absolutely.
    Haha. I love it. Grande should have "KILLJOY" tattooed on his forehead. Does anyone remember last season when Grande was working a Reds game for the first time that season? They started talking about Aroldis Chapman and Grande calls him "The Whip." Then he says it again. Then he starts talking about "I know he has another nickname, but I like The Whip."

Whaaaaat? Hey Georgie, we already have a nickname for him like you said, and it's one that works quite well. Our fans love it.

Grande decided he didn't like the nickname "Cuban Missile" and tried to re-nickname Chapman "The Whip." It was unintentional comedy at its best. Does anyone else remember this?

Reminded me of Grande refusing to say the word "damn" even though that was in the name of the program "The Best Damn Sports Show Period." I still can't believe Fox let him get away with that nonsense. He was promoting one of their shows and refused to say a word in the name of the show.

Thank goodness Grande never did Ohio State games or he would have referred to "The Best Band In The Land."

Haha. I love it. Grande should have "KILLJOY" tattooed on his forehead. Does anyone remember last season when Grande was working a Reds game for the first time that season? They started talking about Aroldis Chapman and Grande calls him "The Whip." Then he says it again. Then he starts talking about "I know he has another nickname, but I like The Whip."

Whaaaaat? Hey Georgie, we already have a nickname for him like you said, and it's one that works quite well. Our fans love it.

Grande decided he didn't like the nickname "Cuban Missile" and tried to re-nickname Chapman "The Whip." It was unintentional comedy at its best. Does anyone else remember this?

Reminded me of Grande refusing to say the word "damn" even though that was in the name of the program "The Best Damn Sports Show Period." I still can't believe Fox let him get away with that nonsense. He was promoting one of their shows and refused to say a word in the name of the show.

Thank goodness Grande never did Ohio State games or he would have referred to "The Best Band In The Land."
    For real? I didn't like grande but he has a standard moral code and walked that line. He doesn't cuss. He had made a commitment to himself to keep things "clean" in his professional career and "damn" is a word he believed to be a word kids didn't need to hear during his broadcast. Why slam him for that?

Edmonds love, I get. Goofy phrases, sure. But for keeping a standard for himself? Whatever.

20. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-01-2013), Big Klu (05-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?