Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I posted this in the Gameday thread too. You choose who did the best job of calling the HR's last night. Thom or Marty?
    I'm going with Thom.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...ic_id=11493214
    There's nothing better than Thom calling a walkoff win, he's great at that. Listening to him for nine full innings (especially when losing) is a different story.

His over the top groaning and complaining gets a little old. It's a lot different when he's calling a Fox Saturday game though. He has to be indifferent, so he's a lot less dejected or excited during plays.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

IMO, no one calls a better moment than Marty.

Last night, Marty seemed nearly at a loss for words, and even forgot his "this one belongs to the Reds" signature. I think the suddenness of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat really snuck up on him.

Thom made a great call on the Choo HR, he was surprised Mez's HR went out.

5. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

I have never been impressed with Thom. Easily the worst of the Reds broadcasters in my opinion.

7. Likes:

redsfanmia (05-11-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Thom supporters should have heard him going on with Marty today on the radio about how much he disagrees with the notion of MLB teams condoning strikeouts. He's very much convinced that strikeouts are an important indicator of a team's chances for a successful season. When discussing how appalled he was that the Braves and Reds don't find them objectionable, you'd have thought he was discussing the decriminalization of bank robbery!

When we hear newbie RedsZoners staking out that same position, keep in mind where it's coming from.
    /r/reds

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Thom supporters should have heard him going on with Marty today on the radio about how much he disagrees with the notion of MLB teams condoning strikeouts. He's very much convinced that strikeouts are an important indicator of a team's chances for a successful season. When discussing how appalled he was that the Braves and Reds don't find them objectionable, you'd have thought he was discussing the decriminalization of bank robbery!

When we hear newbie RedsZoners staking out that same position, keep in mind where it's coming from.
    Thom is more amazed by modern baseball than any man who has watched thousands if games over the last decade

I seriously believe he doesn't think about the game beyond the announcers booth

It's weak analysis and it produces semi dramatic BS moments throughout the game and distracts from what's really going on down on the field.

11. Likes:

Always Red (05-09-2013),redsfanmia (05-11-2013),RichRed (05-09-2013)

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thom is more amazed by modern baseball than any man who has watched thousands if games over the last decade

I seriously believe he doesn't think about the game beyond the announcers booth

It's weak analysis and it produces semi dramatic BS moments throughout the game and distracts from what's really going on down on the field.
    "Can you believe that?"

"Can YOU believe that!?!?"

He's about as astonished by every day occurrences as the late Huell Howser.

13. Likes:

Raisor (05-09-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    "Can you believe that?"

"Can YOU believe that!?!?"

He's about as astonished by every day occurrences as the late Huell Howser.
    That's aMAZing!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I have never been impressed with Thom. Easily the worst of the Reds broadcasters in my opinion.
    Easily? Cmon... There's a reason he's featured as a PBP man on the Fox national broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Easily? Cmon... There's a reason he's featured as a PBP man on the Fox national broadcasts.
    Um. Fox also has employed Tim McCarver since 1996. So I don't really equate Fox with quality broadcasting.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Um. Fox also has employed Tim McCarver since 1996. So I don't really equate Fox with quality broadcasting.
    Not to mention Joe Buck, who is the absolute worst. I cannot listen to him.

18. Likes:

redsfanmia (05-11-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    McCarver was once pretty good.

I liked McCarver until he began announcing every game as though his audience had never seen a baseball game before.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I liked McCarver until he began announcing every game as though his audience had never seen a baseball game before.
    I liked McCarver basically in the pre-Fox era. So he hasn't been good since 1995.

But that could just be because I wasn't such a jaded fan yet. I was still young and innocent.

McCarver was insightful and good for quite a while. But the SABR and the internet happened and then wasn't as smart.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Not to mention Joe Buck, who is the absolute worst. I cannot listen to him.
    And Scooter, the talking baseball.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?