Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

No complaints here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

not enough of the brunette in the fox sports ohio girls promos this year..disappointed me

4. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-24-2013),New York Red (04-23-2013),REDREAD (04-24-2013),redsrule2500 (04-23-2013),Sea Ray (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Give them your thoughts!

http://msn.foxsports.com/feedback

They're not going to get rid of an announcer you dislike, but can easily tweak things like ticker frequency if they get enough feedback asking for it.
    Good call!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

I do have my limits. I will go back on everything I've said if Dan Hoard is a Reds announcer. I won't listen to him. Please no. Please, please, please no. No one announcer should cover 95% of the teams with local interest anyway. I feel bad, because he's probably a huge Reds fan, but no to Dan.

7. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-24-2013)

Fine to me except for that new chant thing from the fans. I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Chris Welsh is my favorite to be honest. Doesn't take himself too seriously, has tons of info and isn't a downer..
    I'm with ya 100%. I think Chris Welsh is as good a color man as there is.
    I like Thom most of the time but he is a downer when one thing goes wrong.
    Thom does get down sometimes, but he's clearly wanting the Reds to win and I dig that. Too many announcers try to sound non-partial. I like the homers as long as their honest about the team's performance.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

10. Likes:

Im not a fan of any of them. Brantley is annoying and only talks about food. Thom is a moron. Jim Day and whatever the other guys name that does the before and after the game recap are just horrible. They have to be able to better than that. well i guess welsh doesnt bug me too bad. I have a feeling its just because he is with Thom who makes anyone sound good. And I loved Sean Casey growing up, but damn was the Pirates broadcast awful. Hes a Brantley that likes the laugh more.

I like everyone well enough with the exception of Casey. Some of the worst banter of all time with Kelch.

- Boy do you like to eat!
    - YEAH YAKNOW I LIKE TO GET AFEWCONEYS HAHAHAH

Felt like they did this three times an inning.

13. Likes:

bengalsown (04-23-2013),Caveat Emperor (04-23-2013),coachpipe (04-23-2013),New York Red (04-23-2013),RichRed (04-23-2013),Sea Ray (04-23-2013),Tom Servo (04-23-2013),westofyou (04-23-2013)

If Brantley was only color on radio, he would be solid gold. As it is, his pbp is like nails on a chalkboard for me. But he counter-balances Marty really well.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    My complaint isn't so much about the in-game broadcast, but the commercials. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a commercial from the national broadcast will start and then suddenly cut out and be replaced by a local commercial. Fox Sports Net Ohio is the absolute worst tv station for doing this. They do it almost every break and yes I know it's stupid, but it drives me absolutely insane! Every other tv station has figured out how to time it right, why can't the monkey's at FSN Ohio get it right?
    But that's on your cable/satellite provider and not FSN.

I don't understand why they have to run the ticker so often. Do it every half hour. That should be more than enough

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Why does Marty need innings off??

Schnickelfritz

I don't mind the Cowboy but, yigods, can you tell me the score when you come back from a break?

I love Kelch. He keeps it level and old fashioned, like Kurt Gowdy. I'll take Kelch's dry delivery over ESPN-ized, loud talking clones (Thom, included). Just give me the play by play, don't try to recreate Al Michaels' "Do You Believe In Miracles" call every play.

Marty and Welsh have been with this team long enough that I identify them with Reds baseball.

Thom... well... he's the poster child for nepotism.

Speaking of announcers, we need an archive of Waite Hoyt calling games. And Red Barber.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Why does Marty need innings off??
    Because he's Marty and he can get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post

Speaking of announcers, we need an archive of Waite Hoyt calling games. And Red Barber.
    http://research.sabr.org/journals/waite-hoyt

When he began with the Reds in 1942 there was just a scattering of former players who had made the transition into top flight broadcasters. Jack Graney in Cleveland, Harry Heilmann in Detroit, and Frankie Frisch in Boston were the most prominent. "The athlete-announcers of today don't realize how tough we had it at first because those so-called professionals who had preceded us had schooled the public wrongly. We had to break down all the misconceptions, the misinterpretations of rules, and the vernacular that our predecessors had interpreted according to their own whimsy."

With his casual but sincere, matter-of-fact style, Waite became a tremendous favorite with the fans in the Cincinnati area. As the years went by he became as much a part of the club as the players themselves. Twenty seasons of big-league experience, where he had associated with some of the game's greatest stars, gave him a wealth of anecdotal material to draw upon. His storehouse of memories and recollections of his pal and teammate, Babe Ruth, are incomparable. Listeners used to pray for rain so he would have the opportunity to reminisce about days gone by. Whereas all other stations would return to the studio for some recorded music when there was a rain delay, Cincinnati fans crowded closer to their radios to hear Waite tell about the Big Guy (Ruth) when he was in his prime. He also used the rain breaks to try and get over the idea that everyone makes mistakes, including sports announcers. "I would try to philosophize and level with the people. I just did the best I could and that's all anybody can do."

By pursuing perfection, Waite Hoyt became, without really realizing it, one of the finest broadcasters in baseball. In the process, Cincinnati became his hometown and the Reds became his team. Through the good years and the bad, he remained at his post. In 1952, he pioneered the idea of the simulcast -- reporting for both television and radio simultaneously. Cincinnati, with its staunch German traditions was a slow city to change. Thus, Waite was the last of the Major League announcers to abandon the telegraphic studio recreations. In 1961, after years of adversity, the Reds copped the National League pennant, and their broadcaster received one of his great thrills -- being with a pennant winner again. "Cincinnati is my town," he is quick to say. "I pay my taxes here, my son was brought up here, my friends are here, my money was made her and I’ll be buried here.”

Twenty-four years and 4,000 games after Ellen Hoyt informed her husband that he needed more polish behind the microphone, Waite Charles Hoyt signed off the air for the final time from Crosley Field. The guy they once called “School Boy” formally bowed out after 50 years in baseball.

“The big adventure is over,” he said when he left the Reds broadcast booth. He didn’t leave without fanfare, however, as in response to the many, many requests from the fans, a “Waite Hoyt Day” was held at Crosley Field on Sunday, September 5, 1965. Before Hoyt called it quits, Russ Hodges, the voice of the Giants, said of him: “Waite Hoyt is authoritative. When he makes a statement there is no doubt as to its accuracy. When Hoyt says it’s so, the Cincinnati public goes by what he says. He gives a clean-cut description of the game, drawing a clear, positive picture for his listeners. His voice is really very fine. During the occasional lulls he dips into a vast sore of baseball knowledge. His stories of associations with such immortals as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, John McGraw and countless others are a delight for Waite’s fans. One thing I’m positive about,” concluded Hodges, “is the fact that he is just as fine an announcer as he was a player.”

21. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-24-2013),BurgervilleBuck (04-23-2013),New York Red (04-23-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (04-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?