Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds stats through 20 games, 2013

Reds stats through 20 games, 2013

Reds go 7-3, now at 12-8, lead Central by .5 games, home 11-3, road 1-5, RS 111 (most in MLB), RA 78, Differential +33 tied for best in NL. Reds already have played 4 extra innings games, 2-2 record, and are already 5-3 in one run games. Added to injured list since last time are Cueto and Hanigan. Freeman (up, down) then Cingrani added to team, as is Corky Miller.

Offense -- Team OPS improved to .768, third best in NL. Despite new emphasis on lefty bats, Reds OPS is tops in league against lefty pitching at .881 and only 10th in league v. righties at .712. Reds SLG against righties only .378, against lefties .494. Overall, Reds BA is .262 (third in NL), OBP is .352 (tops in NL), SLG .417 (tied for fourth in NL).

Reds new emphasis on OBP includes league leading 89 BBs. This is tops in MLB, two ahead of Oakland and far ahead of all others. With Choo, Reds lead MLB with 13 HBP. Also lead MLB in intentional BBs with 14. Reds also lead NL in striking out, with 168 Ks (too bad Astros moved to AL). Reds caught stealing 6 times, stolen successfully 8 times, for league low 57% rate. Reds lead NL in extra base hits, tied with Ariz., at 62.

Reds wOBA is .334, third in league, its wRC+ is 109, third in league. Reds position player WAR is 4.3 trailing only Braves in NL.

Choo with 1.127 OPS, line of .366/.521/.606/1.127. Has 10 HBP in April and leads Reds with 43 total bases. Choo among league leaders in BA, OPS, and is league and MLB leader in OBP. Votto with .500 OBP is second in MLB. Votto with 26 walks way ahead of any other MLB player. Votto with .978 OPS. Phillips with .863 OPS has 21 RBI, second in NL.

Other notable OPS numbers - Frazier .881, Mes .760, Bruce .751, Cozart .654, Heisey .472, Hanigan .422. Oddity so far, Bruce hitting lefties at .987 OPS; hitting righties at .624. (Small sample.) Reds HR leader is Frazier with 5. Votto with 3, Bruce with 1.

Pitching -- With excellent starting pitching, Reds team ERA is now fourth in league at 3.48. Starters ERA is 3.17 fourth in league. Bullpen 4.11 ERA tenth in league. Relievers with 6-6 won lost record, starters 6-2. Last 7 days Reds with best NL ERA 2.03 overall. Reds FIP is 3.72, sixth in league. Cards at 3.10. Reds xFIP is tops in NL (Fangraphs) at 3.35. Pitching WAR Reds tied for 4th-5th in NL at 2.3.

Reds pitchers with best K rate in NL at 8.67. Not really close. Walk rate is 2.43, trailing only Brewers. Reds with second highest HR/FB rate at 13.4%. Padres is 13.7% must be playing lot of road games. Reds with only 3 saves so far.

Reds home ERA is 2.44, tied for second in the league. Reds road ERA is worst in NL at 6.43, after only 6 road games.

Starters impressive ERAs, Cingrani (5 innings) 1.80, Cueto 2.60, Latos 2.73, Bailey 3.24, Arroyo 3.54, Leake 3.81. In the all important "wins" column, only three Reds with two - Chapman, Arroyo, Simon.

Chapman with 0.87 ERA and 0.58 WHIP, Lecure with 0.93 ERA and 0.93 WHIP. Hoover improved to 4.22 ERA and 1.5 WHIP. Broxton with a bad inning now at 7.36 ERA. Parra at 8.44 ERA and 2.44 WHIP.

Latos 5th in NL in Ks with 29, Bailey 8th (tied) with 26. Most walks allowed on team is by Bailey, 9, which is tied for 18th in NL.

Fielding - Reds with 8 errors (3 in yesterday's game) tied with Phils for second fewest in NL. DBacks with only 5. Reds UZR is 8th in NL at 0.3. UZR/150 tenth in league. Breaking this down, Reds suffer in ARM column (-1.4) which I understand is outfield arms. Reds do better in other components.

Red FPCT is .990, second in league. Red DER (MLB.com) is .710, fourth best in NL. Reds made 17 DPs, tied for 8th-9th in NL.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-23-2013 at 12:23 PM.

2. Likes:

Homer Bailey (04-23-2013),mth123 (04-23-2013),RedEye (04-23-2013),RichRed (04-23-2013),Vottomatic (04-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds stats through 20 games, 2013

Dude, I just gotta give it up to you for the time it took to do the research and compile this info! Well done.

I'm always amazed at the difference, real or perceived, of playing games at home and on the road. Every time I think about it I'm reminded of the movie Hoosiers and the scene where the team arrives at the gym where the championship game will be played. They stand there gawking at the size of the arena and the coach has them measure the height of the rim to show them it's still just 10 feet.

On the road the mound is still 60'6" and the bases are 90 ft. apart....yet, it's like it's two different teams.

It's certainly early and it's a small sample size, but let's hope those road numbers turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Dude, I just gotta give it up to you for the time it took to do the research and compile this info! Well done.

I'm always amazed at the difference, real or perceived, of playing games at home and on the road. Every time I think about it I'm reminded of the movie Hoosiers and the scene where the team arrives at the gym where the championship game will be played. They stand there gawking at the size of the arena and the coach has them measure the height of the rim to show them it's still just 10 feet.

On the road the mound is still 60'6" and the bases are 90 ft. apart....yet, it's like it's two different teams.

It's certainly early and it's a small sample size, but let's hope those road numbers turn around.
    Thank you. The road stats are really a tiny sample, they had a couple of real clunkers on the road, I'm not worried about it at all.

To me, while you want good road stats, it's great to see the Reds with a home field advantage so far.

Next time may focus more on situational hitting stats, RISP, etc. Didn't have time or room this time.

Thanks again for your kind words.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.

1-6 on the road. The home record is great but we have to play ALOT better on the road to be contenders

KC61 is Redszone's MVP. No offense to anyone else, but KC, love all your posts.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    KC61 is Redszone's MVP. No offense to anyone else, but KC, love all your posts.
    Thanks mth. Surprised at the compliment since (unusually) we've been disagreeing on occasion, LOL.

I'm only one of many mainstays around here. Great site.

BTW, mth, would love to hear your ideas on why the Reds continue to struggle against RHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Thanks mth. Surprised at the compliment since (unusually) we've been disagreeing on occasion, LOL.

I'm only one of many mainstays around here. Great site.

BTW, mth, would love to hear your ideas on why the Reds continue to struggle against RHP.
    Not sure yet. It's still pretty early, so it may be a quirk that will work itself out over time. If I had to point a finger, I'd probably point at Bruce, Phillips and Cozart. Cozart has alwas been splitty and is going to do most of his damage against LHP, but his OPS against RHP so far is .472. Phillips and Bruce in the 4 and 5 spots have OPS vs RH of .703 and .604. Hard to score a lot of runs when the 2, 4 and 5 hitters aren't doing much. If 3 weeks is a small sample size, then cutting it down further by looking at RH/LH splits this early is really a small sample size. A couple of big games could change it all.

I think Xavier Paul needs to be in there against RHP and hitting second. Cozart needs to be down in the order when a RH is on the mound and its probably when Dusty should choose to rest him and let Izturis play. Izturis is much maligned, but he's a pretty good defender at SS and as a Switch Hitter, I don't think the Reds lose that much if he'd start a couple times per week against RHP and I wonder if it would make Cozart a better player on the other days when he does play. With Hanigan out, I don't see any reason why Mesoraco should stay in the 8 hole. I'd park the SS there against RHP and move Mesoraco up. Beyond that, its a matter of waiting for Bruce to heat up. I might consider flip flopping Frazier and Phillips against RHP, but I don't believe that Frazier will continue to produce against RHP as much as he has. They probably just need to wait for Phillips and Bruce to start hitting against RH.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-24-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Kc61 (04-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?