Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an arm?

Need an arm?

Hoover with an inning and a third, Lecure with an inning and two thirds, Simon pitched his 3rd day in a row, Broxton hit by a liner, a rookie starting tomorrow and a short turn-around for a Wednesday afternoon game. Derrick Robinson has done OK, but I'd send him down and bring up an extra arm for a couple of days. It doesn't sound like Marshall will be back until he's gone back to back with the Bats later in the week. Justin Smith can't come back-up, so the best choice is probably Pedro Villareal. Hasn't pitched in 3 days, is doing a decent job so far and is on the 40 man.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Need an arm?

I think Hoover is going to get "shoulder fatigued" when Marshall is ready. And I think that is a good idea. Give him some rest.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I think Hoover is going to get "shoulder fatigued" when Marshall is ready. And I think that is a good idea. Give him some rest.
    Then do it now and recall Villareal. Hoover probably isn't available tomorrow anyway. Then send Villareal down when Marshall is ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

They should probably just cut Parra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They should probably just cut Parra.
    Maybe in a few days, but that doesn't add another arm for the next couple of days. Parra is available and might still be better than anyone they could call-up.

I like the Villareal idea but we're very likely going to need Parra for the next two days too. Got to hope Cingrani can give us more than 5 tonight.

No, I already got two, but thanks for the offer.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-23-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If you send down Robinson, wouldn't he have to pass waivers, plus he couldn't be recalled for 15 days.

I had this same concern last night.
    I'm really glad we won last night, because we are going to be seriously short handed tonight.
    Hopefully Cingrani gives us at least 6-7 innings (that may be a stretch).
    The good news is that if we get through today, we have Latos and Arroyo next.. that should let the pen recover.

But tonight, we're probably going to have to use Parra.

I wish they'd just activate Marshall (assuming he feels fine after yesterday's appearance).
    If they want him to go back to back, let him pitch today lol
    Honestly, I'm joking a bit.. It's better to be cautious if they aren't 100% sure Marshall is ready.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 04-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Reds do today with the bullpen. LeCure threw 47 pitches tonight so I imagine he's likely not available, and like mth said, Simon's pitched three straight days so I imagine he's likely not available. If Broxton is day-to-day and can't go tonight, that leaves us with four arms. I don't see them rushing Marshall and cutting his rehab short - I wouldn't rush him.

Chapman pitched Friday, Saturday and threw 13 pitches last night. I figure he's good for an inning tonight in a save situation or late game tie situation.

Ondrusek pitched Sunday and last night, but he only threw 6 pitches last night. I figure he's probably available for an inning.

Hoover pitched Saturday and last night, including 24 pitches last night. I figure he's probably available, but I'd prefer to give him a night off if possible. It might not be realistic, though, if LeCure and Simon can't go.

Parra's available.

If Broxton's available, the Reds might be ok. If Broxton can't go, then the Reds might have to strongly consider a move. Plus we'll likely be looking at a situation where Ondrusek and/or Parra may have to pitch in high leverage situations, and that's not desirable.

If ever there was a night for a Reds blowout win with Cingrani going at least six innings and Parra pitching garbage innings, tonight's that night.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Over the course of a 162 game season, there are going to be a few nights where you kind of have to be prepared to lose - to cut your losses.

Tonight is certainly shaping up to be one of those nights. I suspect we are going to see a lot of reserves in the starting eight (night game before a day game after going 13 innings during a long stetch without a day off). I also have to believe that our staff is going to used in a way that best preserves our arms for the coming days rather than maximizing our chances of winning this particular game. That might mean sticking with Cingrani longer than we might otherwise if he struggles early. The same goes for whomever in the bullpen is able to go.

Having said that, this is the Cubs we're talking about. So we might win regardless.

6th or earlier, itll be parra....7th and/or 8th, ondrusek. Then Chapman. Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pocoroba View Post
    Over the course of a 162 game season, there are going to be a few nights where you kind of have to be prepared to lose - to cut your losses.

Tonight is certainly shaping up to be one of those nights. I suspect we are going to see a lot of reserves in the starting eight (night game before a day game after going 13 innings during a long stetch without a day off). I also have to believe that our staff is going to used in a way that best preserves our arms for the coming days rather than maximizing our chances of winning this particular game. That might mean sticking with Cingrani longer than we might otherwise if he struggles early. The same goes for whomever in the bullpen is able to go.

Having said that, this is the Cubs we're talking about. So we might win regardless.
    True, but if things were to get ugly earlier, there's a legitimate question about who would soak up the pitches that have to get thrown - just in terms of health.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in a pinch, Dusty used Arroyo as an innings eater tonight.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

John Fay‏@johnfayman
    Broxton: I'm fine. Says he's available tonight.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

parra has no versatility and handicaps bullpen.... can only pitch in blow out mop-ups. not reliable enough to be a loogy due to control issues. again, i ask myself why the heck is he on this team?

18. Likes:

remdog (04-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?