Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 87

Thread: Game of Thrones epicness

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I knew what was going to happen but it was still a punch in the face
    Same here.

    I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.

  2. Likes:

    NoCalRed (06-04-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,202

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Yuppers
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  5. #33
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Same here.

    I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  6. #34
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.
    Good God, let's hope not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.
    I don't think so.

    If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.

  8. #36
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.
    Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

    I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters.

  9. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

    I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters.
    My guess is that they'll cut out wide swaths of the Dorne and Meeren subplots. There is a ton of fat to cut there.

  10. #38
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't think so.

    If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.
    Westerling was given potions to kill any fetus, IIRC.

    Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  11. #39
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Westerling was given potions to kill any fetus, IIRC.

    Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.
    As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  12. #40
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.
    Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.

  13. #41
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.
    They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  14. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Westerling was given potions to kill any fetus, IIRC.
    She was, but medieval potions are hardly foolproof and the Stark family have a lot of magical juju around them as well. It wouldn't take much suspension of disbelief to accept that Robb knocked her up in spite of her mother's precautions.

  15. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.
    I think they replaced her in an effort to 'condense' the convoluted Westerling subplot out of existence. I always felt it was a little too convenient that Robb fell in love with the daughter of a Lannister bannerman. By bringing in an impartial love interest from Essos, they eliminated one of the reasons to be skeptical of their relationship.

  16. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,250

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show

  17. #45
    Member foxfire123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hell, aka Eastern Missouri.
    Posts
    712

    Re: Game of Thrones epicness

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.
    True. But given that the guest right hadn't been made clear in the series, the Catelyn speech to Robb would have been an excellent way to introduce it more thoroughly to viewers. Writers kinda dropped it there.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25