Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones epicness

Game of Thrones epicness

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started yet on it. How is everyone feeling about the new season? The last episode may have been my favorite of the series thus far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game of Thrones epicness

probably should belong in the sub forum, there was a lot of discussion of the books when the HBO series was first announced (I asked if anybody had read it, was it worth reading prior to the HBO series, got a ton of feedback)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with you Mike...I just love this show. I thought the books were "ok", but the show blows it out of the water. I just love how Peter Dinklage is actually getting a substantial role and showing what he's capable of. Hell of an actor IMO. And last nights episode....*grin*

5. Likes:

MikeThierry (04-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    probably should belong in the sub forum, there was a lot of discussion of the books when the HBO series was first announced (I asked if anybody had read it, was it worth reading prior to the HBO series, got a ton of feedback)
    I didn't see the arts and entertainment part of the forum here so can a mod please move this thread there?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I agree with you Mike...I just love this show. I thought the books were "ok", but the show blows it out of the water. I just love how Peter Dinklage is actually getting a substantial role and showing what he's capable of. Hell of an actor IMO. And last nights episode....*grin*
    thru the first 3 books, peter dinklage's character is very well represented in the story. If anything, I've felt that the HBO version has maintained more of the book plot line than 95% of what's developed from book to TV/movie

I enjoy the show very much but the books are way better. Not even comparable.

9. Likes:

SaboMVP (05-02-2013)

Mike, this is going to be one of the few things we agree on! lol!

Love the series. I actually didn't get into it first season--hubby and I got into it when HBO did a marathon right before the second season started. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they follow the books, HBO doesn't always have a history of that.

Started reading the book series, and am about halfway through the first one.

ETA: anyone else read Peter Dinklage's 20 questions interview in this month's Playboy yet? Nothing earth shatteringly new from him, but he seems like a very interesting man--highly intelligent and real for an actor.

Somewhere in the extras on the season 1 DVD, one of the creators, iirc, says, "We're just creating George's world," or something to that effect. I think it's interesting that movies and shows that respect the author's vision, such as this and the Harry Potter series, tend to be well-received. Ursula La guin won't let her works be adapted any longer because of how much filmmakers like to change the stories, and this is a long-time complaint writers have.

I don't know; if anything I write would ever happen to be filmed, I think I'd enjoy seeing someone else's interpretation. Still, you have to admit that following the author's vision usually turns out best.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Somewhere in the extras on the season 1 DVD, one of the creators, iirc, says, "We're just creating George's world," or something to that effect. I think it's interesting that movies and shows that respect the author's vision, such as this and the Harry Potter series, tend to be well-received. Ursula La guin won't let her works be adapted any longer because of how much filmmakers like to change the stories, and this is a long-time complaint writers have.

I don't know; if anything I write would ever happen to be filmed, I think I'd enjoy seeing someone else's interpretation. Still, you have to admit that following the author's vision usually turns out best.
    I've also read that George is one of the consultants on that show. In fact in the episode where they showed the Battle of Blackwater, he was essentially the defacto director without really directing it. It's probably the reason why it's taken him a while to come out with a new book.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I've also read that George is one of the consultants on that show. In fact in the episode where they showed the Battle of Blackwater, he was essentially the defacto director without really directing it. It's probably the reason why it's taken him a while to come out with a new book.
    Well, that and the fact that each book is several million pages long.

I love the show. I've only read the first book but plan to read the rest. My wife just finished the third book and loves it more and more with each chapter.

14. Likes:

MikeThierry (04-26-2013)

I've heard that if people start pestering him about getting the books out faster, he kills off a Stark.

He made money off me tonight--I bought books 2-3-4.

16. Likes:

MikeThierry (04-26-2013)

Well he can't keep that up much longer.

btw, they don't seem as long if you read them on a kindle. Something about the physical thickness, I think.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well he can't keep that up much longer.

btw, they don't seem as long if you read them on a kindle. Something about the physical thickness, I think.
    NO SPOILERS! I just started book 2... One of the guys at work did slip up and tell me about one who dies, plus that Tyrion does something horrifying in book 4, (iirc that's the one...)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Show better than books?

Uhh... No.

This past episode reminds me of why this show is probably the best show on TV. There wasn't a whole lot of action to it but tons of character development and things that move the show forward. I get joy in seeing how the pawns are moved from episode to episode and this past Sunday's might have been the most involved in that respect. Marriages to solidify lands, political maneuvering, the political fallout of doing the right thing instead of doing the smart thing, etc. How can you not love this show?
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 04-30-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Turn Off Ads?