Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Parra on this team instead of Arredondo?

Re: Why is Parra on this team instead of Arredondo?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Arredondo has 9 walks in 10 innning in AAA this season so far. He wouldn't have been much better.
    Yeah, control is the issue with Jose. However, his WHIP and ERA are not that bad for a last guy out of the bullpen. Parra's WHIP is just about twice that of the next highest WHIP on the Reds roster. Yeah, the season is early, but Parra has had one decent year in the show, and that was 4-5 years ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven't seen that much of Parra.
    The 10th inning was certainly a disaster.
    However, he looked good in the 9th.
    Not saying that one good inning warrants a roster spot, but I can see why the Reds invested in him as a project.

It would be nice if they could somehow sneak him to AAA though and keep Logan instead when Marshall comes off the DL. I don't know if this is possible or not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not saying that one good inning warrants a roster spot, but I can see why the Reds invested in him as a project.
    But why keep a "project" instead of Arredondo, who is a known quantity?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Definitely need to replace him with Arredondo.

I was for keeping Parra out of ST based on what I read about his stuff, and the chance that he could find the control that he had in the minors.

But tonight he should have called Miller off and stuck with the split-finger and curve.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    But why keep a "project" instead of Arredondo, who is a known quantity?
    I guess it depends on whether they can send Parra to AAA or not.
    If they can option him, he can still stay in Cincy and work with Price.

Arrendondo.. they gave him a 2 year trial, and he wasn't that good.

Parra has the potential to be better than Arrendondo. Hard to say if he will ever realize that potential though. In fairness to Parra though, his audition has only been 5 innings so far.

If the Reds did decide to demote or cut Parra, I think I'd rather have Logan on the roster than Arrendondo.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I LOVED Para when he was pitching AGAINST us.

No variation in his fastball or breaking pitches. At first they seem like decent pitches but it's deceptive because one FB is exactly like the last FB he threw and one BB is exactly like the last BB he thew. It's a great formula for getting hit fairly hard at the ML level.

I'll be glad when we see his back as he exits the team.

Bring back Arredondo.

9. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

Arredondo is too wild for me, but I prefer him to Parra right now. He gets guys out and handles lefties well.

Look what Marmol's done, besides the Votto hit he's mowing down our sluggers pretty well, despite the walks.

Parra. Bray and Herrera before him. This just drives home the fact that there is a dearth of LH pitching in baseball. If you want an almost surefire multi-million-dollar retirement plan, force your sons to throw left-handed.

Schnickelfritz

So do you think Para's gone when Marshall comes back?

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Arredondo is too wild for me, but I prefer him to Parra right now. He gets guys out and handles lefties well.

Look what Marmol's done, besides the Votto hit he's mowing down our sluggers pretty well, despite the walks.
    Carlos Marmol is really bad. Probably not the best example to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I was in the minority that thought Parra's good arm would thrive as a reliever. He still might, but with Marshall coming back, he's got to go. I'm not real enamored with Ondrusek or Simon either, but Parra is the one that needs to go first.

As for Arredondo, there are lots of crummy pitchers in the soft underbelly of major league bullpens, but nobody wanted him when he was outrighted. That speaks volumes IMO. Even the Astros passed on him. Think about that for a minute.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Parra's FB seems to be squared up a lot.

I wonder if there isn't much movement on it (and he's a lefty!) or if it's a control issue?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Parra has now pitched Just a few innings. He's allowed 23 hits and 11 earned runs. No place for him in a tie game. So it goes. Time for him to leave.
    Is there room in the RZ budget for a fact checker?

Not that I think Parra is anything to defend, but do we expect his .520 babip to continue?

Five reasons Parra should not be on this team:
    1. 8 hits and 5 earned runs given up in last 2.3 innings pitched. 16 hits in less than 7 innings overall. The guy is getting pounded.
    2. Does not fit the loogy role because he walks too many and has control issues.
    3. Limited versatility. Only reliable enough to pitch in mop-up for blow outs...which don't happen all that often.
    4. Pitches high in the zone and fastball is thrown straight as an arrow. Here it is boys....
    5. Parra has absolutely no consistent history of MLB success. The fact that the Brewers let him go and they had a terrible bullpen the last few years should tell you something.

Also, isn't he supposed to be a long man? Sure, he had one good inning last night but isn't the long man supposed to get desirable results for more than one inning?

19. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

Turn Off Ads?