Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WEHT: Nick Masset?

Re: WEHT: Nick Masset?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    And that was fair market value for Junior at the time. Sad.

Then again, not sure Phil Nevin would have done much here either.
    Raise your hand, Redzoners, if you believed at the time that Masset, was going to emerge as the prize return of the five players acquired via the KGJ and Dunn trades.

It's a shame that Masset's career is apparently over, but Masset gave our favorite team 3 and 1/2 seasons of solid production -- A fantastic return, IMO, for the '08 version of KGJ, who finally received another chance to play in the postseason.

IMO,Jocketty deserves a ton of credit for acquiring Masset for KGJ. This move (along with the trade for Ramon Hernandez) always seems, at least to me, to be lost in the shuffle as we recall every solid transaction of WJ's tenure as Reds GM.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

2. Likes:

powersackers (08-09-2013), Slyder (08-10-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

*hand raised*
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    *hand raised*
    Mine too.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    *hand raised*
    Looking back now, it seems as though more RZers than I initially recalled shared your opinion.

It was either Masset or Owings for me. I didn't expect much from the other three and not much was exactly what occured.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

7. Likes:

Big Klu (08-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Looking back now, it seems as though more RZers than I initially recalled shared your opinion.

It was either Masset or Owings for me. I didn't expect much from the other three and not much was exactly what occured.
    Those were obviously the top two players acquired by the Reds. I was hopeful that Owings would pan out (he didn't), but I was confident that Masset would be a serviceable reliever and possible setup man.

At the time, however, Owings was the biggest name acquired by the Reds in the Griffey/Dunn trades, as he had already won a Silver Slugger Award by that time.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 08-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?