Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Tony Cingrani Thread

2 GS, 12 IP, 10 H, 3 BB, 17 K, 2.25 ERA

All the usual caveats (pun intended) apply: Small sample size. He's only faced the Marlins and Cubs (baseball's equivalent of remedial english). His secondary offerings are a work in progress. Blah blah.

What do you do with Mr. Cingrani if he continues to pitch like this until Cueto is ready to come off the DL?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Much is to be made that Cingrani faced both the Cubs and Marlins thus far. Still, he has made some quality MLB hitters look bad while striking out.

I like his composure and moxy on the mound. Can't argue with his success to date because the guy gets results.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cingrani has been my favorite prospect all during last season and going into this season.

As much as I'm excited about what he's done so far at the major league level. I just wonder if he wouldn't be better off spending more time at Louisville working on additional pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Cingrani has been my favorite prospect all during last season and going into this season.

As much as I'm excited about what he's done so far at the major league level. I just wonder if he wouldn't be better off spending more time at Louisville working on additional pitches.
    I don't know. Right now Cingraini is good enough to get major league hitters out with mostly two pitches. He does need that 3rd pitch, and at times when he throws it, it does look good. If he goes to AAA and dominates I wonder how much he is going to use his breaking pitches.

If he is able to develop a reliable 3rd pitch watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Agree, eventually only having two reliable pitches will lead to trouble. Stash him in AAA when Cueto gets back and have him ready in case of another injury. Next year he takes Bronson's spot in the 5 man.

He's ready, brother.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think the verdict is still out. I know people are saying that players will adjust to his 'deceptiveness' but that was expected to happen every time he moved up. He's only improved each year and his stuff still seems pretty hard to hit so far at this level too.

I'd like to see either Arroyo or Leake move to the bullpen if he continues to pitch well.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

11. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

I didn't see the game last night, but I'm pretty sure I'll see him in person in DC. Crossing my fingers he pitches well.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I love the kid. So nice to have a lefty in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I think the verdict is still out. I know people are saying that players will adjust to his 'deceptiveness' but that was expected to happen every time he moved up. He's only improved each year and his stuff still seems pretty hard to hit so far at this level too.

I'd like to see either Arroyo or Leake move to the bullpen if he continues to pitch well.
    Arroyo to bullpen? Seriously? What does this guy have left to prove to Reds fans?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-24-2013),bigredmechanism (04-24-2013),Brisco (04-24-2013),Caveat Emperor (04-24-2013),coachpipe (05-02-2013),Falcon7 (05-01-2013),fireman937 (04-24-2013),jimbo (04-24-2013),LaFlamaBlanca (04-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-24-2013),Red in Chicago (04-24-2013),Slyder (05-03-2013),Spazzrico (04-24-2013),Spitball (04-28-2013),terminator (04-24-2013),The Operator (04-24-2013),wlf WV (04-26-2013)

When Cueto comes back 2-3 weeks from now:

IF Cingrani continues to dominate
    IF Leake continues to pitch as well as he has the last couple outings

Trade Leake.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I love the kid. So nice to have a lefty in the rotation.
    Agree. Great to finally have a lefty in the rotation again.

Another observation, Cingrani has the ability to add and subtract from his fastball. When he needs it, he can dial it up to 94-95 mph.

18. Likes:

remdog (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    When Cueto comes back 2-3 weeks from now:

IF Cingrani continues to dominate
    IF Leake continues to pitch as well as he has the last couple outings

Trade Leake.

This is not fantasy baseball.

The first few starts of Cingrani's career should not determine whether or not the Reds should trade a guy whose been in their starting rotation for over 3 years now.

Pitching depth is always a good thing to have. Mike Leake is a solid, not outstanding pitcher. His value on the trade market is far from anything special, and is likely worth a lot more to the Reds than what he could fetch in a trade.

Nothing that happens over the next couple of weeks should decide Mike Leake's future with the team. (And I'm far from even being a Mike Leake fan).

20. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-24-2013),Brisco (04-24-2013),fireman937 (04-24-2013),jimbo (04-24-2013),LaFlamaBlanca (04-25-2013),mth123 (04-24-2013),OnBaseMachine (04-24-2013),RiverRat13 (04-24-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013),The Operator (04-24-2013),Tom Servo (04-24-2013)

I have seen it mentioned in the minors Cingrani threw fastballs 90 percent of the time. What has that percentage been in his 2 starts in Cincinnati?

Turn Off Ads?