Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Did anyone else see Cingrani go to the inside of his belt and then rub his two fingers together just before his 9th or 10th K? I think I caught him greasing the ball.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Did anyone else see Cingrani go to the inside of his belt and then rub his two fingers together just before his 9th or 10th K? I think I caught him greasing the ball.
    Maybe he just had an itch.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

I'm standing by my preference to send Cingrani back down when Cueto returns. Having been a Reds fan since the 70s, and intending to be a Reds fan 10 years from now, I'd like for the team to continue to take the long view with its finances. Its attempts at going all-in on players have backfired often enough over the years that it's now clear that paying attention to things like arb-eligibility has proven to be a better strategy.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Today Cingrani pitched with an intensity I've rarely seen in a pitcher.

As if he knows that this is his shot now, and that he has no intention of letting it slip away. Kudos to Buckley and the scouting department.
    We were fortunate to be at Nats Park three years ago for Strasburg's debut when he K'd 14 in 7 innings with no walks against the Bucs. Place was electric. We had seats just off the right field line.

Today, the seats were much better. Excellent site line to the mound. The performance nearly as impressive. But was disorienting being a visiting pitcher. No Ks on the big board being tracked. Only silence after each K. No standing O or curtain call. Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    We had a great view of all the action. Didn't leave the seats once until the 7th. Nah, he didn't do that. Rumor was he'd had a big lunch between the 3rd and 4th inning (some Maryland crab and half smokes I think) and was loosening up a notch. You must have been a victim of the TV feed playing tricks on the audience.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 04-29-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

6. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-29-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Today Cingrani pitched with an intensity I've rarely seen in a pitcher.

As if he knows that this is his shot now, and that he has no intention of letting it slip away. Kudos to Buckley and the scouting department.
    This is a great point. Anyone who watched this game with a keen eye noticed Cingrani was locked in as far as his intensity. I love everything about this kid. Moxie is huge when it comes to Big League pitchers. Some fold in big moments. Cingrani seems to be the type who has the "Bring it on!" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Looking for a small sample size of Leake's like this and I'll be darned tootin', I can't find one.

And we kinda have a teack record with Cingrani.
    Travis Wood probably had a streak of 3 games like this.
    He certainly set the world on fire for 1/2 season.
    I think Cingrani is good. It's even worth considering keeping him on the big league level.. but Cy Young/ROY? probably not
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    This is a great point. Anyone who watched this game with a keen eye noticed Cingrani was locked in as far as his intensity. I love everything about this kid. Moxie is huge when it comes to Big League pitchers. Some fold in big moments. Cingrani seems to be the type who has the "Bring it on!" attitude.
    If there is one thing about Cingrani it is that he is going to flat out come at you. Having listened to him for a few years now, he just has this "I am going to get every last one of you out" kind of things going when he talks about how he goes about pitching. Full on at all times.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-30-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Seven deep, if you count Chapman.
    Yes....good point, although I'm thinking this year. Can't imagine could ever start this year?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

A good LH starter is needed on this team especially in a park like GAB, small windows in small markets, I wouldn't let arb worries limit getting the best arms slotted every five days.

13. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-30-2013),TRF (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If there is one thing about Cingrani it is that he is going to flat out come at you. Having listened to him for a few years now, he just has this "I am going to get every last one of you out" kind of things going when he talks about how he goes about pitching. Full on at all times.
    That was the look on his face all day. Serious. Pensive. Aggressive. Clinical, almost surgical, movements to, on and from the mound. Didn't matter if it was the first few perfect innings, after a K or after one of the few hits. I don't think he smiled once. Really interesting. And great to see. Just one game and who the hell knows what the future holds but today was really encouraging and a ton of fun to watch.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

15. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He reminds me of Tom Browning in this manner. They both also are lefties who rely mostly on a well placed fastball. Biggest difference is that Cingrani throws around 5 MPH faster than Browning ever dreamed of.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

bellhead (04-29-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I like what I'm seeing from Cingrani.

I also liked Jack Armstrong years ago. And he says hi from his tuna boat.

I hope Cingrani's career goes better than Armstrong's.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So let me get this straight: The Reds have two incredible left-handed arms that have proven they can dominate major league hitters. And there are people on this board that don't want EITHER of them in the major league rotation?

That makes a ton of sense.
    Where has anyone said they don't want Cingrani in the rotation? I think what most are saying, including myself, is that it's been 3 starts. Yeah, 3 good starts, and it's encouraging what we've seen from this kid. But lets not put the cart before the horse here, and feel this organization has to be seriously thinking about making some sort of future decision about Cingrani on such a small window when there is really no need to at this point because the timetable on Cueto is uncertain.

Cueto started soft tossing earlier this week, but I bet it's still gonna be late May at least before we MAY see him. And there is no need to rush him either with the way Cingrani has pitched. So that is good news. As fans lets relish in that because a majority of us were in the panic stage when Johnny went down.

Meanwhile, Cingrani will get several more starts, lets see how the kid does, and we'll "cross that bridge when we get to it." But it's ridiculous, at this point, to hear fans talking, when Cueto returns, about sending Leake down (which can't be done without his permission due to service time), sending him to the BP (he's not BP material), or even trading him (his value ain't that high), at this stage of the game.

I've been on this forum for 12 years, and it's not the first time fans have screamed about some young prospect tearing it up in AAA, wondering why this FO hasn't got them up here or whatever. And when they do, in the end, after awhile, they fall flat on their face. Numerous names/examples can be mentioned. Brandon Larson was the next Mike Schmidt.

And No, I'm not saying that is what will happen with Cingrani. But only that it's too small of a window to be making some of the rash pronouncements that have been made.

Let's exercise some cautious optimism here, while enjoying what we're seeing out of this kid.

If he is this good he ain't going no where, and at some point he will be a staple in this rotation. And this is the last year of 35 yr old Arroyo's contract too.

Until then... No Pressure.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-29-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

1940757690 (04-29-2013),bigredmechanism (04-29-2013),jimbo (04-29-2013)

Great post GAC... Except Bronson's 36 years old!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    A good LH starter is needed on this team especially in a park like GAB, small windows in small markets, I wouldn't let arb worries limit getting the best arms slotted every five days.
    woy, I know you are good with the data sets, how many rookie pitchers have approached 28/4 k/bb in their first three starts?

I can't imagine there are many names on a list like that who turned out to be terrible.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?