Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So are you starting to believe, Doug? Or, should I say, are you starting to believe Cingrani may actually be able to sustain this type of performance (or something close to it) in MLB?
    When I saw his new curveball in his first start in Louisville, I said this:

Cingrani threw the best breaking balls I have ever seen him throw in this game and it wasn’t particularly close. They weren’t all good ones, but there were more good ones than bad ones and the good ones were really good.

After the second start I said this:

The good news though, is that like his first start, the breaking ball was once again a good one. Some were better than others and a few weren’t quite good, but compared to last year it is a big step in the right direction. And also unlike last year, he is mixing his pitches much better than he has in the past.

My concern has always been the breaking ball. I wasn't sold on his slider. It was still a very poor pitch after years of throwing it (he would flash it as a good pitch at times, but very often it just flat out stunk). New breaking ball that is good enough and that he can throw in the strikezone = me being sold on him being a starter. I said this the day before he took the mound for his first start. I was slightly wrong so far.

I wouldn’t expect him to be a dominating top of the rotation guy right out of the gate (well, maybe right out of the gate against the hapless Marlins lineup). I do believe that he can put up middle-of-the-rotation numbers out of the gate with an ability to dominate at times, especially against lefty heavy lineups with his improved/new breaking ball.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When I saw his new curveball in his first start in Louisville, I said this:

Cingrani threw the best breaking balls I have ever seen him throw in this game and it wasn’t particularly close. They weren’t all good ones, but there were more good ones than bad ones and the good ones were really good.

After the second start I said this:

The good news though, is that like his first start, the breaking ball was once again a good one. Some were better than others and a few weren’t quite good, but compared to last year it is a big step in the right direction. And also unlike last year, he is mixing his pitches much better than he has in the past.

My concern has always been the breaking ball. I wasn't sold on his slider. It was still a very poor pitch after years of throwing it (he would flash it as a good pitch at times, but very often it just flat out stunk). New breaking ball that is good enough and that he can throw in the strikezone = me being sold on him being a starter. I said this the day before he took the mound for his first start. I was slightly wrong so far.

I wouldn’t expect him to be a dominating top of the rotation guy right out of the gate (well, maybe right out of the gate against the hapless Marlins lineup). I do believe that he can put up middle-of-the-rotation numbers out of the gate with an ability to dominate at times, especially against lefty heavy lineups with his improved/new breaking ball.
    What would you say are MOR numbers in 2013?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What would you say are MOR numbers in 2013?
    ERA around 4.00. I expect the walk rate to go up over time. His command isn't really good at this point, but his walk rate certainly suggests it is.

Is his next start against Texas? That should be a real test for him...although I was more than impressed with how he handled the Nationals line-up.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    Is his next start against Texas? That should be a real test for him...although I was more than impressed with how he handled the Nationals line-up.
    His next projected three starts would be:

At Chicago
    Milwaukee at GABP
    At Miami

Reds don't play Texas until the end of June.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 04-29-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Wrong third start
    Reds Fan Since 1971

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Re: Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It'd be criminal to pull him out of there before it does, IMO.
    I agree. They have to keep him up if he stays this effective, and only send him down once the other shoe drops.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    His next projected three starts would be:

At Chicago
    Milwaukee at GABP
    At Miami

Reds don't play Texas until the end of June.
    I must have been confused by something I read about Ogando taking on the Reds next on his Yahoo notes. Or maybe they're confused. I could have just looked up the schedule I guess.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Plan Tony Cingrani bobble-head night, Tony Cingrani appreciation day, and prepare his busts for the Reds HOF and Cooperstown; this kid is going to make everyone forget about Koufax, Carlton and Johnson. If he retires now, he might go down as the greatest Reds pitcher ever, heck, who are we kidding? Greatest. Red. Ever.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    What if this is as good as it gets?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Baseball-reference has a list of those pitchers that struck out at least six in their first three starts. Short list. The list is from June, 2010. At that time Strasburg was the only pitcher to strike out at least eight in his first three starts. He needs to make room for Tony Cingrani now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/6870

Fernando Valenzuela did not make it because he only struck out five in his first start. His first seven starts in The Show are amazing.
    That was in his first three appearances, Cingrani still wouldn't make that list because of September. It's a technicality, but that same technicality kept Bob Feller and maybe some others off the list too.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If only we could get Zach Stewart back. Then this starting pitching lineup would feature 5 Cy Young candidates.

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-30-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Interesting take from CBS Sports. Yes, I know it is from a Fantasy writer, but it seems right to me:
    I will be watching this next one with great interest, that's for sure.
    From what I've seen in his three starts, I'm not buying the idea that he's going to struggle anymore than normal when teams see him multiple times.

I definitely think the critics are wrong with regard to him.

Leake to the pen and Simon to AAA. Not been impressed. 4.91 ERA. If Cingrani holds and can pitch anywhere near like he has consistantly we just firmed up one of the few weeknesses on this team - a lefty in the rotation. Leake to the pen who can also PH on days he's not available to pitch.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    ...and his change up, which scouts believe is his second best pitch is there, but he is only throwing a few per game.
    Doug: on the few times I've seen him throw the changeup, I don't see any tail to it.

Do you see it? If not, is that a function of his low arm angle, and would it make the pitch less effective?

At times, I wonder if some fans are fans of the Reds, or fans of the Reds finances.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (04-29-2013),pahster (04-29-2013),Plus Plus (04-29-2013),Superdude (04-29-2013),westofyou (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    At times, I wonder if some fans are fans of the Reds, or fans of the Reds finances.
    You mean you aren't proud of the "most profitable franchise in 2000" pennant that is flying in the GAB

I forget the exact year and the exact verbage, I just remember John Allen bragging about the Reds being the most fiscally healthy franchise once during the DARK AGES.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?