Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Mike Leake.

He's on a team that has Cueto, Latos, Bailey and Cingrani. That would suck trying to live up to those guys.
    You know just about 5 years or so ago Leake would have been the ace of the Reds staff. I feel bad in a way for him too. He's probably going to go to bullpen because of sheer numbers more than anything. Most teams would love to have him as their 4th or 5th starter. In Cincy it will probably be the bullpen for him. That's a good thing, overall, for the organization. We have come light years in a short amount of time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

It seems to me that the best option for the Reds is to send Leake to minors so he can start there and if another rotation arm gets hurt then bring him back up. What would we do if he is dealt then one of our starters gets hurt? Who would be our next best option to bring up?

He is going to strike out 1000 Cubs this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    He is going to strike out 1000 Cubs this Saturday
    500 of those in one inning alone.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    500 of those in one inning alone.
    250 in a single PA.

GAC...leake to the pen and I dont lose a moments sleep over it. This is going to be a scrum to the division this year, i suspect, and this team is stronger with cingrani in the rotation at this point in time. Ride cingrani while he is hot, if its lack of familiarity from teams with him, exploit that, shut him down in August for innings if need be, and go from there. I am interested in this team winning a lot of games in the here and now. Cingrani on this staff helps with that at this point in time.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

8. Likes:

Chip R (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    It seems to me that the best option for the Reds is to send Leake to minors so he can start there and if another rotation arm gets hurt then bring him back up. What would we do if he is dealt then one of our starters gets hurt? Who would be our next best option to bring up?
    You cannot send Leake down without his permission. All they can do is keep him on the staff, cut him or trade him. If Leake or another starter gets traded the next guy would likely be one of Galarraga, Rogers or Vill...unless Corcino strings together a few like his last. Even then I think they'll be cautious and go with the more experienced Galarraga first. Reynolds could push past him but I doubt it and Villanueva has been steadily decent but unspectacular for a couple seasons now at AAA. Really Id expect big league mediocrity from any of them. None are likely as good as Leake at this time (Corcino has the stuff to be better but not, imo, right now.

From what I understand from all of these posts, it seems like the best option would be to send down Hoover and keep Leake in the bullpen. Right? That way the club doesn't lose any talent and still manages to ride the hot hand (Tony C.)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    From what I understand from all of these posts, it seems like the best option would be to send down Hoover and keep Leake in the bullpen. Right? That way the club doesn't lose any talent and still manages to ride the hot hand (Tony C.)
    Can Ondrusek not be sent down? I'm really not up to speed on things, so apologies if I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Close. There is what is called a "veterans consent" rule. Because Leake first appeared on a major league roster more than 3 years ago, he can't be optioned to the minors without his permission. Even though Leake has options remaining, because of the time involved since he first came to the majors, he can only be sent to the minors if he agrees.
    Yeah. I meant to include the "permission" part in my response.

If he doesn't agree and the Reds want to send him down, he would need to be offered to every other team for the waiver price. If another team would want him, the Reds would either need to choose to keep him on the major league roster or give him to the team that claimed him so that he could keep his major league job. If no one else wants him on the major league roster, the Reds could send him down. Fat chance of that happening. I'd guess 29 other teams would put a claim in on Leake.
    Yep. Someone would claim him, and there is no sound reason, at this stage, to risk losing the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    GAC...leake to the pen and I dont lose a moments sleep over it.
    That's about the only option we have with Leake, other then probably losing him via the route mth123 mentions. I don't think he'd agree to be sent down, and someone for sure would claim him on the waiver wire.

The only problem is, and most agree.... Leake is not BP material. If one looks at the majority of his starts he gets hit in the first couple of innings and then seems to settle down. But by then it's too late. I just don't think he'd flourish in the BP.

I think this FO is going to give Leake plenty of rope this year, for now, and see if he hangs himself. They aren't going to make any drastic changes in the first month (April). And depending on how Leake does, going forth, if they need to, they have options (Cingrani).

The problems with this team in the first month, other then some really key injuries, hasn't been starting pitching. The pitching has been there. It's the offense.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The pitching has been there...except when Leake pitches. Then its not so much there. Not sure why giving Leake starts over Cingrani helps the team in any meaningful way...

As for argument that Leake can't go to pen but Cingrani can, in essence, because Leake gets hit too much, I am befuddled over why getting hit too much is a qualification to holding onto a starting spot...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Cingrani on pace to be the next Cole Hamels?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Is that what the quote was?
    Yes, that is what the quote was. "Experts" were falling all over themselves trying to tell us that Cingrani would be nothing more than a reliever at the MLB level. I disagreed.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Can Ondrusek not be sent down? I'm really not up to speed on things, so apologies if I missed that.
    Yes, Ondrusek can be sent down if the Reds so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, Ondrusek can be sent down if the Reds so desire.
    For some reason I thought I read that Ondrusek had the right to deny a demotion. Maybe I was hallucinating, but I thought I read that earlier in the thread. In any case, he could also be an option if this is not true. Frankly, he has been pretty effective since his recall though.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re: Cingrani on pace to be the next Cole Hamels?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, that is what the quote was. "Experts" were falling all over themselves trying to tell us that Cingrani would be nothing more than a reliever at the MLB level. I disagreed.
    Didn't the Reds draft him with starting in mind though?

Turn Off Ads?