Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

I think we are assuming too much in assuming that Leake definitely won't grant the Reds permission to send him down to the minors.

First, he gets paid the same no matter what this season. It might delay when he becomes a free agent, if the assignment is longer than 20 days, but odds are good that it wouldn't last that long, considering how often pitchers get injured. And even then, that's not money lost, it's money delayed.

Second, if he was claimed on waivers, he would likely be claimed by the Marlins. He might rather stay with a contending team in the minors than go to Miami. Playing in the postseason is why most players play the game.

He probably would not give the Reds permission to send him to the minors, but I don't think it's a given.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think we are assuming too much in assuming that Leake definitely won't grant the Reds permission to send him down to the minors.

First, he gets paid the same no matter what this season. It might delay when he becomes a free agent, if the assignment is longer than 20 days, but odds are good that it wouldn't last that long, considering how often pitchers get injured. And even then, that's not money lost, it's money delayed.

Second, if he was claimed on waivers, he would likely be claimed by the Marlins. He might rather stay with a contending team in the minors than go to Miami. Playing in the postseason is why most players play the game.

He probably would not give the Reds permission to send him to the minors, but I don't think it's a given.
    I think he would likely get claimed by 20 teams, and wouldn't be able to find out who he got claimed by and then instead choose to go to the minors. He would opt for being waived instead of going to AAA.

Reds fans are spoiled and assume that Leake is chopped liver when he has a very real spot on almost every team in MLB.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

4. Likes:

jimbo (05-02-2013), Redeyecat (05-03-2013), REDREAD (05-03-2013)

Leake doesn't do anything that shows me he'd be any good out of the pen. Better to trade him than use him as the 12th pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I think he would likely get claimed by 20 teams, and wouldn't be able to find out who he got claimed by and then instead choose to go to the minors. He would opt for being waived instead of going to AAA.

Reds fans are spoiled and assume that Leake is chopped liver when he has a very real spot on almost every team in MLB.
    Waiver's gone in reverse order by league. So whoever has the worst record in the NL would have first shot at a waived player and so on.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Marlins would jump at a chance to pick Leake off of waivers, if he was waived. Technically he wouldn't know for sure, but it would be a pretty safe assumption that the if waived, Leake would end up on the Marlins.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It might not be. IIRC, back in the late 90s - not 99 - the Reds sent Bret Boone down to the minors and they had to get his permission first. He was only down there for a few days as there was an injury or something but he did give permission.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He might opt for the minors if it's a choice between that and "Go to the bullpen as the long-man" and potentially only work once every a week for an inning or two.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Knowing our luck, watch Dusty go with a 6 man rotation.

Cingrani will be sent down I predict and that is okay by me. Reds don't have great SP depth in the upper minors behind Cingrani. Let him continue to develop at AAA and when the season is up, the Reds can let Arroyo walk and bring him up next year.

I really do not think Cingrani can sustain what he's done to date and I don't think whether or not the Reds make the playoffs this year will be determined by Cingrani pitching the entire year at the Show vs. Leake doing the same.

This is a great problem to have.

12. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (05-02-2013), jimbo (05-02-2013), REDREAD (05-03-2013)

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Cingrani will be sent down I predict and that is okay by me. Reds don't have great SP depth in the upper minors behind Cingrani. Let him continue to develop at AAA and when the season is up, the Reds can let Arroyo walk and bring him up next year.

I really do not think Cingrani can sustain what he's done to date and I don't think whether or not the Reds make the playoffs this year will be determined by Cingrani pitching the entire year at the Show vs. Leake doing the same.

This is a great problem to have.
    I agree, this is the most likely scenario.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but sending Cingrani down would enrage many fans and stir up media criticism.

It would also put some pressure on Leake with calls for Cingrani to be called up whenever Leake has a bad game. It would be like batting your worst hitter second in the lineup every night. It puts him under the microscope.

So...consensus is Cingrani is better than Leake right now...and will likely be better going forward, but Leake is too valuable giving up all the runs he does to take him out of the rotation, so the better pitcher has to go away.

Its upside down world.

Cat Latos ‏@CatLatos 2m

“@Eric_Cusick_: What do you think should happen with Cingrani?” // I think he should pitch. Putting him at second base won't work

So there you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

17. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-03-2013), Tom Servo (05-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    So there you have it.
    Yeah, it would pretty hard to turn double plays for a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, Ondrusek can be sent down if the Reds so desire.
    How do you figure that? His three year period was up on April 5. They sent him down before that and it was fine under the rules. Unless there is a part of the rule I'm missing, it's now been over three years since he first appeared in the majors and he needs to give his permission.

You may be right, but the way I read the rules says not since April 5, 2013.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Big start tomorrow. If Cingrani bombs, I think he goes back to AAA when Cueto is ready. But if he dominates again...
    Last edited by RedEye; 05-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

21. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (05-03-2013)

Turn Off Ads?