Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think at the major league level, the priority is to win the game. The heavy FB strategy is working, so I can see why they want to do it.
    We'd all be less happier if Cingrani threw 30% offspeed pitches and and got hammered and strained the bullpen.

Once Cingrani is sent to AAA, I wholeheartedly agree.. he needs to use his secondary pitches a lot more frequently. Blowing away minor league hitters with his FB isn't going to teach him anything. In fact, this is a strong reason to demote him when Cueto comes back.
    That problem there is that from the first start it was 80% fastballs. We never saw a mixture of the other stuff enough to know one way or the other. Someone with the Reds decided before hand that it was what was best and passed it on to the catchers, who all three called 80%+ fastballs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That problem there is that from the first start it was 80% fastballs. We never saw a mixture of the other stuff enough to know one way or the other. Someone with the Reds decided before hand that it was what was best and passed it on to the catchers, who all three called 80%+ fastballs.
    I guess my point is.. it's hard to argue with the short term results.

I do agree with you, when Cingrani goes to AAA, he needs to use his secondary pitches much more, even if it means he gets roughed up.

I guess it's been established as fact that Cingrani's secondary pitches are not nearly as good as his FB. We've heard that ever since he's been drafted. I think even reports this year have told us that his breaking ball is still a work in progress (even though it's improved a lot).. So I am going to give the Reds credit for knowing that Cingrani would probably get hammered if he went down to 50% FB for example.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess my point is.. it's hard to argue with the short term results.

I do agree with you, when Cingrani goes to AAA, he needs to use his secondary pitches much more, even if it means he gets roughed up.

I guess it's been established as fact that Cingrani's secondary pitches are not nearly as good as his FB. We've heard that ever since he's been drafted. I think even reports this year have told us that his breaking ball is still a work in progress (even though it's improved a lot).. So I am going to give the Reds credit for knowing that Cingrani would probably get hammered if he went down to 50% FB for example.
    Only Bronson Arroyo goes 50% fastball. I would just like to see it more in the 65-70% range, like most guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Probably because the Reds know that his secondary stuff is only at the "show it occassionally to keep them honest" stage and not up to snuff for the full mix. Heck, you've been telling us that yourself. The Reds aren't in the development business at the major league level. Get through this patch without their ace the best way possible and then send him down for a heavey dose of work on his off speed stuff.

Seems to be working to near perfection.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Probably because the Reds know that his secondary stuff is only at the "show it occassionally to keep them honest" stage and not up to snuff for the full mix. Heck, you've been telling us that yourself. The Reds aren't in the development business at the major league level. Get through this patch without their ace the best way possible and then send him down for a heavey dose of work on his off speed stuff.

Seems to be working to near perfection.
    No, I haven't been telling you that. I told you his slider sucked. Well, he isn't throwing a slider anymore.

Turn Off Ads?