Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Make Leake the LF

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-28-2013),redsrolen (04-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I understand all of this but what I'm saying who is more likely to shut a team down Cingrani or Leake with there best stuff? It just feels like whenever Leake is on he still gives up 2.
    Cingrani can be a TOR starter to Leake's #4ish potential. I agree. I just think he needs to work on his off-speed stuff to get there. Eventually, big league hitters will stop chasing the high pitch out of the zone. When they do, I don't think he has the adjustment in him yet.

Do you keep running him out there until everyone catches on or do you use the 5 solid guys you have while he goes down and actually finishes developing into the number 1 we think he could be? Even with Leake being a number 4 type who throws some stinkers, the rotation isn't a problem.

It will be hard to send him down though I agree.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

REDREAD (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Nope, but maybe Cingrani isn't Superman either. I love what he's done, but it's three starts. Lots of really good three start stretches. Even the wretched Mike Leake had a pretty good run of them.
    Cingrani hasn't been pretty good, he's been dominant. I can't remember a rookie pitcher who was this dominant, who didn't continue to be successful. Sure, the league will adjust, and he'll have growing pains, but everything I see tells me that Cingrani will adjust as well. As I said before, if you can place your fastball where you want to, you will be a successful MLB pitcher. Cingrani has proven that he can do that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

redsrolen (04-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Make Leake the LF
    Designated pinch runner...

Ok, let's put this in perspective. Cingrani 28 K's thru 3 starts. How many K's for Steven Strasburg of the Nationals thru his first 3 starts? 17

Just enjoying this ride that Cingrani is taking Reds fans on......

Cingrani can be a TOR starter to Leake's #4ish potential. I agree. I just think he needs to work on his off-speed stuff to get there. Eventually, big league hitters will stop chasing the high pitch out of the zone. When they do, I don't think he has the adjustment in him yet.

Do you keep running him out there until everyone catches on or do you use the 5 solid guys you have while he goes down and actually finishes developing into the number 1 we think he could be? Even with Leake being a number 4 type who throws some stinkers, the rotation isn't a problem.

It will be hard to send him down though I agree.
    I'm not comparing the two at all, but big leaguers still go after Justin Verlander's high heat, and he's been throwing it for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Ok, let's put this in perspective. Cingrani 28 K's thru 3 starts. How many K's for Steven Strasburg of the Nationals thru his first 3 starts? 17

Just enjoying this ride that Cingrani is taking Reds fans on......
    Cingrani seems to have a much smoother delivery than Strasberg, meaning less wear on the arm and shoulder. At least that's how I see it.

I think he's at the point where he can develop in the bigs. I'd send him down if he was still figuring out how to make a slider break like last year, but it's just a matter of consistency and repetition at this point. Might as well let him do it up here if he's an upgrade now.

13. Likes:

malcontent (04-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think he's at the point where he can develop in the bigs. I'd send him down if he was still figuring out how to make a slider break like last year, but it's just a matter of consistency and repetition at this point. Might as well let him do it up here if he's an upgrade now.
    Yep. At this point, I think sending him back to Triple A would just be wasting him.

I'm not here to say Cingrani is the second coming of Sandy Koufax but if he's pitching anywhere close to this when Cueto is ready to come back it would be a total dis service to this team if they take him out of the rotation. It's three starts but this young man is dominating hitters right now. The K's are insane. It could all go south and if it does the problem solves itself but right now Cingrani gives you a better chance to win than Mike Leake.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Sending Cingrani down would be the height of stupidity. The question is not what to do with Cingrani; it's what to do with Leake.

I don't think it's a situation where he doesn't have secondary offerings. It's just that at every level his fastball has been his bread and butter and it has served him well. I saw him break off a few good sliders/curves today including a few for K's. He also threw a good change up to Bryce Harper.

Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

18 ip
    28 K's
    4 BB
    0.89 Whip
    3 ER
    1.50 ERA

Go with your hot hand. Moving Cingrani down to AAA would be a mistake. Whether his success is due to the league not figuring him out, or him being a lefty, or whatever the case may be, he's one of the best pitchers we have in our rotation right now, and you simply don't just "get rid of him".

Let him get his lumps in the majors, screw the minors.

If he keeps this up, I see a potential CY Young, Rookie of the Year winner for the reds.
    Last edited by RedTruck; 04-28-2013 at 06:43 PM.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

I don't want Cingrani to stay up with the Reds any longer than he has to. There's a real danger of him reaching Super Two status if he stays with the Reds for the whole season.
    /r/reds

20. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (04-28-2013),redsfanmia (04-28-2013)

Re: Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

Let's reign it back in a little. Let the kid pitch for a little while up here.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

22. Likes:

Cursh14 (04-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?