Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani Thread

Re: Tony Cingrani Thread

Joel Luckhaupt @jluckhaupt

Tony Cingrani has 37 Ks and 6 BB in his first 23 MLB innings. Aroldis Chapman had 28 K and 13 BB in his first 23 MLB innings. #Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds and 26.2's

Re: Cingrani for Cy Young/Rookie of the Year?

He got a hit today. Give him a Silver Slugger too.

4. Likes:

CySeymour (04-29-2013),LoganBuck (04-28-2013),Number_Fourteen (04-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sarcasm?

Or are fans now to be conditioned by the inner workings of the MLB player labor contract and its myriad of rules.

I hope it's the former and not the later.

It's not that ridiculous of a thought. If Cueto is able to come back in full form, we have what we need. money matters and cast's pockets have limits. if cingrani ends up being as good as many of us hope he can be, we'll be praising the heavens that we have him for an extra year. imagine if cingrani takes the career path of latos, cueto, or bailey. that extra year would be huge.
    Just call me Legs

Leake to the DL with a mysterious ailment. If cingraini keeps pitching like this you trade Leake or arroyo at the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    It's not that ridiculous of a thought. If Cueto is able to come back in full form, we have what we need. money matters and cast's pockets have limits. if cingrani ends up being as good as many of us hope he can be, we'll be praising the heavens that we have him for an extra year. imagine if cingrani takes the career path of latos, cueto, or bailey. that extra year would be huge.
    Sorry, I have to ponder real life contracts and getting value from them and the assets tied to them.

I'll let the things like MLB service time and looming money issues for the Reds stay on their side of the fence. I find no joy in wringing my hands about them at the expense of cheering on their exploits in the field that might lead to W's.

8. Likes:

Cursh14 (04-29-2013),New York Red (04-28-2013),Redsfaithful (04-29-2013)

I haven't seen him pitch yet....but you have to love his numbers so far.

Worst case scenario.....good to know the staff is officially six deep. It's a long, long season.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Joel Luckhaupt @jluckhaupt

Tony Cingrani has 37 Ks and 6 BB in his first 23 MLB innings. Aroldis Chapman had 28 K and 13 BB in his first 23 MLB innings. #Reds
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Hall of Famer.
    Haha ... first ballot.

13. Likes:

malcontent (04-28-2013)

Sending Cingrani down now does nothing to his Free Agent clock. It only effects his arbitration clock. Keeping him up doesn't mean the Reds will have have him under their control for any less years, it just means they will have to pay him more.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

RedlegJake (04-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Looking for a small sample size of Leake's like this and I'll be darned tootin', I can't find one.

And we kinda have a teack record with Cingrani.
    Comparing Cingrani and Leake is like comparing apples to oranges.. Cingrani being a hard throwing southpaw (i.e. more exciting) while Leake is a soft-tossing right hander. That being said, Leake was impressive the first half of 2010 his rookie year.. From the Reds Media Guide:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/f...edia_guide.jsp

was the first Reds pitcher to begin his Major League career 5-0 since RHP Tim Layana in 1990 and the first Reds starter to win his first 5 career decisions since 1976, when RHP Santo Alcala began 5-0...at 5-0 was the first pitcher in Reds history to remain undefeated through his first 12 Major League starts...his 7-1 start was the best by a Reds rookie pitcher since Wayne Simpson began the 1970 season with a 13-1 record...in his 22 starts the Reds went 12-10...4 of the 10 losses were by 1 run, 2 more were by 2 runs, 6 were in the opponent’s final at bat, 3 were in extra innings and 3 were walkoff losses...Cin is the first team in Major League history to lose 2 games in a single season in which they led by 6 runs or more entering the bottom of the ninth inning, and Leake started both of those games...he is the only pitcher in Major League history to start more than 1 game in his entire career in which his team lost after leading by at least 6 runs heading into the bottom of the ninth inning...was the victim of a blown save in the 10-9 loss at Atl on 5/20, when the Reds failed to hold 8-0 and 9-1 leads and allowed 7 runs in the bottom of the ninth...was the victim of another blown save in the 10-inning, 9-7 loss at Phi on 7/9, when the Phillies tied the game with 6 runs in the bottom of the ninth and won in the 10th.
    BTW I was at the game in Atlanta...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

FWIW, Cuetgrani is 3rd in the NL with 46 K's.

18. Likes:

dougdirt (04-28-2013)

As respectfully as I can say it--yes, it is a supremely ridiculous thought.
    MLB teams, especially teams from smaller markets, tend to have a finite period of time in which to win a World Series. The Reds have quite a few players who should be in their prime for the next 2 or 3 seasons, but if this group doesn't capture a World Series ring by then their probabililty of ever doing so will be significantly reduced (2012 still stings).
    I certainly do not want to abuse Cingrani's arm and it is certainly premature to assume he will continue to pitch as he has. However there is no way the Reds should fail to use him just to keep him from Super Two status. Win the 2013 World Series and worry about contracts in 2018 or so later on.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I wonder if Mike Leake could be the Scott Sullivan type we've wanted.
    No, he's clearly the next Greg Maddux (said everyone who is too young to remember that Maddux could break 90 with a fastball when he was Mike Leake's age).
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cingrani for Cy Young?

Who does he think he is, Zach Stewart?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

22. Likes:

757690 (04-28-2013),SirFelixCat (04-28-2013)

Turn Off Ads?