Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No TV For Day Games. Why?

No TV For Day Games. Why?

Fox Sports Ohio only carries 145 games per season which leaves many of the day games with no local TV coverage. I remember the days when we saw a dozen or so games a year so I'm not complaining.

I do wonder, however, why FSO chooses not to air all the games. Is the drop-off in viewership so dramatic for day games that they simply cannot make it work from a financial point of view? I would have to think that a live Reds game would rate better than poker and UFC reairs. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No TV For Day Games. Why?

I would assume because most of the fan base is either at school or work

It is on TV back to Chicago, though. I guess Lee Elia was right about Cubbie fans.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I would assume because most of the fan base is either at school or work
    This is of course the case, but are you saying that a live Reds broadcast would draw lower ratings than today's FSO lineup - 1986 World Series Highlights, an infomercial for ATVs, reruns of the UFC, and a reair of old guys playing tennis?

I would think the Reds would want their games broadcast and would be willing to cut FSO some sort of deal on the rights for the day games based on the lower viewership. Of course, I might be 100% wrong.

I have no idea..I was just making an observation. Its simply the only thing i can think of of why they dont have it on. The games they dont have on TV are when they have the stupid blue jackets and cavs on. 2 teams that obviously dont understand the sports they play

The blackout rules mystify me. It obviously isn't available via FSO, and yet it is still blacked out on MLB Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    The blackout rules mystify me. It obviously isn't available via FSO, and yet it is still blacked out on MLB Network.

its a rain delay not blacked out

Yeah, I know we are in a delay. We'll see what happens when play returns. I have DirecTV. When I tune to MLB Network I get " 'MLB Baseball' is blacked out on this channel" message.

So is today's game on FSO or not? Im getting tennis right now.

Looks like I'm getting it on MLB Network Alternate (214-1 on DTV)

i watched it on DISH on 478 a MLB network alt channel

Kurt Stillwell Fan hairmetalfreek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reagansdaddy View Post
    This is of course the case, but are you saying that a live Reds broadcast would draw lower ratings than today's FSO lineup - 1986 World Series Highlights, an infomercial for ATVs, reruns of the UFC, and a reair of old guys playing tennis?

I would think the Reds would want their games broadcast and would be willing to cut FSO some sort of deal on the rights for the day games based on the lower viewership. Of course, I might be 100% wrong.
    Lots of people to pay to run a baseball game, much more than you would have to shell out for a UFC re-run or whatever else is available. From broadcasters to cameramen to other behind-the-scenes guys that make television broadcasts possible...the lower ad revenue probably just won't cover the costs.

Just an assumption.

It does seem like a lot of the Reds day games not on FSOH show up on MLB network either as a full game or shown in progress on the Rundown show. These games seem to not get blacked if not covered on FSOH. I assume the Reds get a kickback for sending the games to MLB Network.
    Last edited by Eric from NC; 04-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Turn Off Ads?