Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Farm Development

Resident PED Expert

Farm Development

A quite few years ago ESPN did this article putting together teams based on the talent they had developed through there farm system only that was in the majors or on a 40 man with ML experience. As if there were no trades or free agency. The embarrassment of this list is the Reds didn't have enough SP developed in the majors to fill out a rotation. So out of boredom today I did a list of developed Reds Farm Hands in the Majors.

SP:
    Bailey
    Cueto
    Leake
    Cingrani
    Wood - Cubs
    Villarreal - AAA

RP:
    RH - LeCure
    RH - Ondrusek
    RH - Freeman
    LH - Horst - Philly
    SU - Boxberger - SD
    CL - Chapman

IF
    1B Votto
    1B Alonso - SD
    2B Valakia - Miami
    2B Turner - NYM
    3B Frazier
    3B Francisco - ATL
    3B H.Rodriguez - AAA
    SS Cozart
    SS Gregorious - ARI
    SS Janish - ATL

C:
    Hanigan
    Mesoraco
    Grandal - SD
    Miller

OF:
    RF Bruce
    LF Heisey
    CF Stubbs
    OF Denorfia
    OF Dunn - WSX
    OF Wise - WSX
    OF Kearns - Miami
    OF Sappelt
    OF Dickerson - BAL

So with these guys as your options on you 25 man roster... How many games does this team win?

I would say between 72 and 80...

No worse that the Lost Decade teams but with much better pitching...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Farm Development

With that team? More than the Marlins or Astros will win in 2013.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Craig Tatum played a little in the majors, didn't he? Catcher.

3B - Adam Rosales
    RP - Jordan Smith
    RP - Roenicke?
    1B - Neftali Soto - AAA
    SP - future Cy Young winner, Zach Stewart?
    RP - Donnie Joseph?

So does this have to be guys we drafted or signed as an undrafted FA?

And if it's where they'd play today, Dunn shouldn't be in the OF.

Anyways, I was a little surprised to see that Todd Coffey and Dustin Moseley aren't signed anywhere.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So,

Gregorious SS
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Dunn LF
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart 2B
    Stubbs CF

Hesiey OF
    Francisco 3B
    Alonso 1B
    Denorfia OF
    Grandal C

Cueto
    Bailey
    Wood
    Leake
    Cingrani

Chapman CL
    Lecure SU
    Roenicke MR
    Ondrusek MR
    Horst Loogy
    BoxBerger MR
    Dustin Mosely Swingman

Maybe I'm a homer, but think that team could compete. Probably would be better in the AL so Dunn could DH and there would be more PAs for Alonso or Francisco and the pen is little thin after Chapman, Lecure and Roenicke, but its not terrible by any means.. Next year we probably will add Hamilton to that mix in place of Stubbs.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-24-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm curious to see what the rest of the division looks like. Would StL rotation be Garcia, Haren, Lynn, Miller, and a minor leaguer, or am I forgetting someone?

The Pirates team would be similar to its current state minus their #1 starter.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Anyways, I was a little surprised to see that Todd Coffey and Dustin Moseley aren't signed anywhere.
    I don't know if I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Coffey had Tommy John in July of 2012. I'm sure no one will sign him until he's healthy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Coffey had Tommy John in July of 2012. I'm sure no one will sign him until he's healthy.
    Hopefully Coffey had lap band surgery too.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I'm curious to see what the rest of the division looks like. Would StL rotation be Garcia, Haren, Lynn, Miller, and a minor leaguer, or am I forgetting someone?

The Pirates team would be similar to its current state minus their #1 starter.
    Wainwright was traded for and played two full seasons in the minors before making his first appearance. Does that still count as developed? Anthony Reyes (LOL) might be on there.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Looks like he had Jimmy John to me...the entire chain. http://www.jimmyjohns.com/
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Looks like he had Jimmy John to me...the entire chain. http://www.jimmyjohns.com/

Oh man, that was hilarious.

Wasn't he the one who used to sprint out of the bullpen every time he got the call? Now he uses one of those motorized carts from Wal-Mart.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Wainwright was traded for and played two full seasons in the minors before making his first appearance. Does that still count as developed? Anthony Reyes (LOL) might be on there.
    I don't remember the exact rules, but I am pretty sure you had to be drafted or signed as a undrafted free agent. If not you could include Encarnacion on the list for the Reds....

Good catch on Rosales and others... I think the tell tale of the success of the BIG club is, Jocketty has been phenomenal on which guys to keep and which guys to move. Some of that credit goes to the peanut gallery of assistants he has... Bavasi especially...

The only two guys I would be interested to have back is MAYBE Wood who was always a huge favorite of mine coming through the system and Grandal if he proves to be the same player post suspension... But I'll take Latos as the consolation prize...

14 players on the roster developed by the Reds start to finish... 4 All Stars with the possibility to be 7 this summer... Incredible...
    Last edited by nemesis; 04-25-2013 at 02:51 PM.

It's interesting to consider the makeup of some teams, and to think about where certain Reds would be. For example, Phillips would be on a pretty talented Nats team that would also have Cliff Lee in the rotation.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?