Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latos has now started 38 games as a Red ...

Re: Latos has now started 38 games as a Red ...

Before the season started I picked Mat Latos to win the NL Cy Young award. So far, he's pitched like one. The wins aren't there, but that's because of poor luck. No offense is two starts, bad defense in one, and two blown saves in the other two. But his W/L record isn't what matters - he's been dominant in all other categories: 2.16 ERA, 2.65 FIP, 8.91 K/9, 1.35 BB/9. What an acquisition he was by Walt and the Reds. He reminds me so much of Curt Schilling. Hopefully the next step is signing him to a long term contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

On top of his dominance, he's maintained his health as well as anyone could. to me, that's why he is worthy of a multi-year deal. the question is, how many years should he be signed for if he signs with the reds at all? and how much are the reds willing to pay the man? i really disliked the two year deal; only have one more forced negotiation table conversation left. maybe an extension after this season? 5 for 85?

Also, I honestly have no idea what typical extensions for elite starting pitchers are that buy out a couple of arb years + 3 of FA. As I think about it more, I'd guess he'd want more years, especially since he'd be 1 year out of FA by the end of his current contract. In FA he's probably looking at 6-7 year deals at least.
    Last edited by Billy Hamilton's Legs; 04-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Just call me Legs

Interesting to go back and read some of the comments of disdain over this trade at the time. No one ever knows how a trade will pan out at the time of the deal, but it is humorous to reread opinion such as the one below:

Pathetic.

Jockerty should be fired.

We just cleared out the upper half of our Minor League System for 1 pitcher who comes from a pitchers park.

This organization now needs to fire the GM, the Manager, The Pitching Coach & the Hitting Coach.

Dark days ahead.

The Padres just added their future closer, their current first baseman, future all star Jorge Posada with better defene catcher.

We were absolutely raped.

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (04-25-2013),bubbachunk (04-25-2013),George Anderson (04-25-2013),PedroBourbon (04-25-2013),reds44 (04-25-2013),Spider Tre (04-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (04-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Interesting to go back and read some of the comments of disdain over this trade at the time. No one ever knows how a trade will pan out at the time of the deal, but it is humorous to reread opinion such as the one below:
    Let's be honest though, that was the extreme position. I think more people were ok with it but surprised how much we gave up.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I can't compete with you guys when you're throwing out all these stats, so all I can say is...Mat sure throw ball good.
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 04-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.

8. Likes:

dougdirt (04-25-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I was vehemently against the trade when it went down, thinking the Reds gave up way too much for Latos. Especially Grandal, whom I preferred to Mesoraco. A lot of that had to do with Grandal being a SH (and Alonso a LHH), and the Reds at the time had only Votto and Bruce from the left side. It just seemed to me that the FO had zero appreciation for a balanced lineup.

I'm very glad that I was wrong. But Grandal's suspension couldn't have been predicted (right, Walt?), and EV's control seems to be getting worse instead of better, and at least some of us thought he would do better in SD.

It is nearly impossible to overpay for good starting pitching. If the pitcher ends up pitching well, you'll never regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I fully understand Wins don't mean anything to the new age baseball fans, but only four Losses in 38 trips to the hill, while not missing any starts, cannot be overrated IMO, any way you look at it.

I was also one of the Reds fans who thought we gave up too much for Latos at the time, but he won me over quickly after his slow start last year. I was mostly concerned he wouldn't be able to make the transition from pitcher-friendly San Diego to homer-friendly GABP, but that hasn't been an issue either. This trade turned out to be fairly lopsided in our favor.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I can't compete with you guys when you're throwing out all these stats, so all I can say is...Mat sure throw ball good.
    I think that's my main contribution around here compared to some.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Loved the deal then and still love it now. Extending Latos should be this team's number 1 priority. Unless they get an absolute bargain that they can't refuse, they should not lock up any money or remove any playflex until Latos is signed or it becomes clear that it's not going to happen. I think he's going to command $100 Million plus for 6 years or so. The Reds should try to make it work.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?