Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Corky Miller and Hanigans injury

Corky Miller and Hanigans injury

I love to see Corky in Cincinnati. It's good to see him get big league time after years of service and dedication to the club in the minors. But I have to ask myself, if hanigans injury is prolonged, how long do the reds go with corky as the backup? As much as I like the guy he's not major league caliber at the plate and it looked like the cubs ran all over him on defense. If hanigan is out longer than expected does anyone think Barnhart may get a call up? I've heard his D is near major league ready.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corky Miller and Hanigans injury

Don't really have any answers but just want to say that i always enjoy when Corky makes an appearance in The Show. I was at a Mudhen/Bats game up in Toledo 4-5 years ago and sat next to the bullpen and was surprised he was back in the organization then...he's still hanging around. He sure made an outstanding play blocking the plate the other nite on the throw from Phillips with the infield playing in....i also suppose he knows the young pitchers very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Don't really have any answers but just want to say that i always enjoy when Corky makes an appearance in The Show. I was at a Mudhen/Bats game up in Toledo 4-5 years ago and sat next to the bullpen and was surprised he was back in the organization then...he's still hanging around. He sure made an outstanding play blocking the plate the other nite on the throw from Phillips with the infield playing in....i also suppose he knows the young pitchers very well.
    That was a great block of the plate and he did work well with cingrani. I love the dude. I just don't think it'd be smart to let him get a prolonged stay up here.

I like Corky too - I always picture the dude going back to a trailer after the game, slammin' a few brews, tokin' a bit (not accusing, just kinda what i pictured), then crashin' with a nice lovely female Reds fan. Just a dude that feels lucky to be paid to play a kids game. Awesome. However, I agree, though I like the guy, his bat is a liability, and we need a better answer at C if Hanigan is to be out awhile.

Update (am sure I'm the one who's late, but if not, here it is). . . .

Reds C Ryan Hanigan, on the disabled list with a strained left side and bruised left thumb, is hitting and his hand feels strong, but Baker wants him to take his time to make sure he's 100 percent when he returns. ''Hanny's a big part of this club,'' Baker said.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMemphis View Post
    Update (am sure I'm the one who's late, but if not, here it is). . . .

Reds C Ryan Hanigan, on the disabled list with a strained left side and bruised left thumb, is hitting and his hand feels strong, but Baker wants him to take his time to make sure he's 100 percent when he returns. ''Hanny's a big part of this club,'' Baker said.
    Hopefully the injury isn't too prolonged. I wonder how much time Mez will get in his return. It's crazy how highly rated of a prospect he was and how little of a chance baker is giving him to become comfortable and productive in the majors.

I do NOT like Corky....ridiculously overweight and slow, can't hit. Unacceptable as a professional IMO. Today I saw him setup 2 fastballs to Soriano straight down the middle of the plate. You would think he would change his approach after the first HR?? Cingrani hit his mitt with dead on accuracy and both pitches were home runs. \ Let's stop with the assumption that he is contributing to Cingrani's success...hopefully Dusty realizes this as well but I'm not holding my breath. People should not get enamoured with the false visage of a cool mustache and jovially overweight catcher. There is a reason why this guy is a career minor leaguer.
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I do NOT like Corky....ridiculously overweight and slow, can't hit. Unacceptable as a professional IMO. Today I saw him setup 2 fastballs to Soriano straight down the middle. You would think he would change his approach after the first HR?? Cingrani hit his mitt with dead on accuracy and both pitches were home runs. There is a reason why he is NOT a MLB catcher. Let's stop with the assumption that he is contributing to Cingrani's success...hopefully Dusty realizes this as well but I'm not holding my breath.
    I don't hold my breath when it comes to any dusty on field decision. It's not his strength. I wouldn't be so up in arms about miller catching if the reds were with him and a true backup. Dusty is giving away important experience that mesoraco could be gaining to a guy who won't probably ever be in the big leagues again in a month.

I agree with all said about the Corkster, BUT, it IS temporary, and I honestly think that the only reason he is still there is to give the rookie, Cingrani, a level of comfort. He DID catch him in the minors, and knows his stuff. May not SEEM like a big deal, but for the first several starts in an MLB career, I'll suck it up to ease the guy in.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMemphis View Post
    I agree with all said about the Corkster, BUT, it IS temporary, and I honestly think that the only reason he is still there is to give the rookie, Cingrani, a level of comfort. He DID catch him in the minors, and knows his stuff. May not SEEM like a big deal, but for the first several starts in an MLB career, I'll suck it up to ease the guy in.
    Agree Memphis. Obviously Cingrano is not successful because of Corky but the comfort level is a key. Funny, not to often I've heard a catcher blamed for a HR

I'm not like Doc. I like players based on personality and attitude. I remember when Corky wasn't so heavy. I don't think he is out of shape but years of catching and an unrelenting combination of age and genetics have killed what little speed he once possessed and increased his waistline. He is 75% of the catcher he once was and at his best he was a fringe talent but he's always played hard and been fan friendly. I'm glad he got this last cup of coffee. Liking a guy however doesn't get in the way of hard nosed baseball sense. So far Dusty has used about twice as much as makes sense. The younger vastly more talented Mesaraco should be starting more often.

As for Barnhart I wouldn't call him up. He's having a good year at the plate and I'd let that develop. Rushing him might ruin the progress he's showing. If Tucker finishes with close to his current numbers I say briefly up him toward the end to AAA and let him have a full year next year at AAA and as the emergency go to guy then. And yes scouts say he is already capable of handling ML defense but why disrupt a guy who is finally showing some strides hitting too? I think hr'll be a fine backup for Mes when Hanny gets too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'm not like Doc. I like players based on personality and attitude. I remember when Corky wasn't so heavy. I don't think he is out of shape but years of catching and an unrelenting combination of age and genetics have killed what little speed he once possessed and increased his waistline. He is 75% of the catcher he once was and at his best he was a fringe talent but he's always played hard and been fan friendly. I'm glad he got this last cup of coffee. Liking a guy however doesn't get in the way of hard nosed baseball sense. So far Dusty has used about twice as much as makes sense. The younger vastly more talented Mesaraco should be starting more often.

As for Barnhart I wouldn't call him up. He's having a good year at the plate and I'd let that develop. Rushing him might ruin the progress he's showing. If Tucker finishes with close to his current numbers I say briefly up him toward the end to AAA and let him have a full year next year at AAA and as the emergency go to guy then. And yes scouts say he is already capable of handling ML defense but why disrupt a guy who is finally showing some strides hitting too? I think hr'll be a fine backup for Mes when Hanny gets too expensive.
    I totally agree with you. I remember going to a game when corky was here in his first stint. He was catching Chris reitsma. I remember coky ripping a nice double that game. At this point though Mez needs to get his time.

I agree on Barnhart. Lets allow him to keep improving. But dustys handling of the catching situation makes little sense to me. I love the fact that millers years of loyalty are being repaid with one last cup of coffee, but at the same time even corky has to know the future lies in devin and even in the present devin is a better catcher. Everyone seems to grasp this but dusty. It's a really frustrating situation because I believe that Mez is really one of two guys capable of stepping up and filling in the cleanup role. The other being Frazier when he is on a hot streak, but not when he is cold.

Beyond the Crash Davis sentiment, Corky has no business in "The Show."

"What a great symbol of baseball the way it should be played. I mean sure, he can't hit major league pitching. And sure, other teams run all over him. And sure, he is slow as molasses. But you know.... Crash Davis!"
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?