Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooting for the front runner...

Rooting for the front runner...

I was talking to a group of young people tonight and was surprised by how many of them were rooting for the Miami Heat. How does that happen? Are we no longer a society that roots for the underdog??? I was very surprised.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-24-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rooting for the front runner...

Do you not remember the Michael Jordan years and all the Bulls "fans"? Not exactly a new phenomenon.

5. Likes:

Donder (06-12-2013),Revering4Blue (06-12-2013),Tom Servo (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Do you not remember the Michael Jordan years and all the Bulls "fans"? Not exactly a new phenomenon.
    I am a retired teacher and remember the Bulls' era very well. There have been several front runners eras before then and since then.

I question why this happens.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

There will always be band wagon supporters, just look at all the Man united 'fans'!

8. Likes:

coachpipe (06-12-2013)

How young were these young people? Because teens and even college kids are just like that, and most of them do outgrow it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-12-2013)

It is just as interesting to understand why we love the underdog so much. For example, in the NCAA tournament, in games where we have no rooting interest (either through fandom or gambling), we root for the underdog. Why? Generally speaking, the further underdogs go the worse the basketball played in the later rounds will be (try to rewatch the two Butler finals, I dare you.) So, for those of us who are fans of the sport, why root for an inferior product?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It is just as interesting to understand why we love the underdog so much. For example, in the NCAA tournament, in games where we have no rooting interest (either through fandom or gambling), we root for the underdog. Why? Generally speaking, the further underdogs go the worse the basketball played in the later rounds will be (try to rewatch the two Butler finals, I dare you.) So, for those of us who are fans of the sport, why root for an inferior product?
    Which one featured the bad basketball? Perhaps the one where Duke won by 2 points and a last second shot that would have won it for Butler clanked off the rim?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Which one featured the bad basketball? Perhaps the one where Duke won by 2 points and a last second shot that would have won it for Butler clanked off the rim?
    The UConn game was horrible. Bad display of basketball by both teams. The Duke game was a good game. Usually when there are a lot of early round upsets the later rounds and Final Four are not that good. That's why I don't always root for a lot of upsets in the NCAA tourney. In 2011 there were a lot of upsets. No one seeds made the Final Four. None of the three games in the Final Four were anything to write home about either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

People like to associate themselves with winners. It's not just sports either - I suspect there are at least some people who vote for candidates who are likely to win in various elections too. That's why so many campaigns will show poll #s that favor their candidate - to try to get support from the bandwagonners.

Even on this board, watch the "top 40 prospect" polls in winter - in several of them you will see postes say "I like prospect X best but he has no chance to win, so I will choose prospect Y."

15. Likes:

Joseph (06-12-2013)

I think the NBA lends itself to having people (especially kids) root for players more than teams. It a superstar-built league more than the others. You're always going to have front-runner fans, but a lot less people jumped on the Broncos bandwagon once Manning left Indianapolis than when LeBron left Cleveland for Miami.

17. Likes:

Not really a huge NBA fan, but is San Antonio really considered the underdog here? I know Miami's team has plenty of star power, but San Antonio had the third best record in the NBA and they've won three championships in the last ten years. Again, I don't follow the NBA that much, but that doesn't seem like the typical pedigree of an underdog.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Well being from cincinnati and ONLY liking cincinnati sports teams (other than the mighty ducks of course) I never really cared too much for the NBA and just liked some players. Well I then went on to Ohio University and was surrounded by Steelers, Penguins, Browns, Indians, Cavs and Buckeye fans and it just got annoying. Cleveland fans have to be the most annoying fans in the world with OSU fans close behind(and i let my friends no that every day ha) Well that is when my hatred for EVERY team other than Cincinnati teams really started. Then the decision came and Lebron left. Out of spite and because I thought it was funny, Lebron became my favorite player. And I let it be known

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Well being from cincinnati and ONLY liking cincinnati sports teams (other than the mighty ducks of course) I never really cared too much for the NBA and just liked some players. Well I then went on to Ohio University and was surrounded by Steelers, Penguins, Browns, Indians, Cavs and Buckeye fans and it just got annoying. Cleveland fans have to be the most annoying fans in the world with OSU fans close behind(and i let my friends no that every day ha) Well that is when my hatred for EVERY team other than Cincinnati teams really started. Then the decision came and Lebron left. Out of spite and because I thought it was funny, Lebron became my favorite player. And I let it be known
    Ahh, memories of Ohio University in the 90s and the sweet, sweet tears of Indians fans watching their World Series dreams slip away.

Wait...what were we talking about again?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Not really a huge NBA fan, but is San Antonio really considered the underdog here? I know Miami's team has plenty of star power, but San Antonio had the third best record in the NBA and they've won three championships in the last ten years. Again, I don't follow the NBA that much, but that doesn't seem like the typical pedigree of an underdog.
    Compared to Miami they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Compared to Miami they are.
    I guess I look at it like the 'Bama/LSU game in 2012: yeah there was a favorite, but was anybody really an underdog?

Turn Off Ads?