Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yu Darvish is ridiculous

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Yu Darvish is ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think they were all from one at-bat.

Now let's see one of Arroyo.
    LOL. Yeah, with Bronson it would be 5 different arm angles and slots...but the ball all goes in the same spot. Over the fence. :O) Kidding, just kidding.

2. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    It looks like one of the jerseys in the video is a #27. So at least one of those pitches is to someone other than Pujols.
    #27 is Mike Trout, a lefty, so it definitely wasn't him.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post

Now let's see one of Arroyo.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

NebraskaRed (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    #27 is Mike Trout, a lefty, so it definitely wasn't him.
    Trout is a righty. Definitely was his back at beginning. Also features at least a third different batter who is closer to the plate than Trout and Pujols.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Trout is a righty. Definitely was his back at beginning. Also features at least a third different batter who is closer to the plate than Trout and Pujols.
    Whoops. You're right. I don't know how I confused that.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Maybe even more awesome in reverse?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

10. Likes:

Billy Hamilton's Legs (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post

Maybe even more awesome in reverse?
    Actually, in reverse it just even highlights even more how unnatural it is to pitch overhand.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I saw this on the SciFy channel on a show called "My paranormal experience on the baseball field". It featured Yu Darvish and Pujols.

nm
    Last edited by marcshoe; 04-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Ok, this is cool video, but while I understand at a very low level the concept of pitch recognition, how many hitters distinguish one pitch from another based on release point? Isn't this more about great mechanics than it is something that makes hitting him tougher? Don't hitters use reading spin of the ball as their primary pitch recognition weapon? Arroyo has many different release points and that is tough on hitters also, so why is "same release point for five different pitches" negatively impacting a hitter?

I guess for me, there are a lot of questions begged by making a statement "how are you supposed to hit this guy" in the context of consistent release points on different pitches.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Ok, this is cool video, but while I understand at a very low level the concept of pitch recognition, how many hitters distinguish one pitch from another based on release point? Isn't this more about great mechanics than it is something that makes hitting him tougher? Don't hitters use reading spin of the ball as their primary pitch recognition weapon? Arroyo has many different release points and that is tough on hitters also, so why is "same release point for five different pitches" negatively impacting a hitter?

I guess for me, there are a lot of questions begged by making a statement "how are you supposed to hit this guy" in the context of consistent release points on different pitches.
    Hitters will use arm slot, release point, spin, windup or stretch speed, flaring or closing of glove, where the pitcher is set up on the rubber and any subtle thing they can can get a grasp on. Some even subconcious. The Force?...
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Now someone make a gif of all the locations on Choo's body where's he's been hit by a pitch

17. Likes:

New York Red (04-26-2013)

Darvish is pretty awesome. Hard to argue with the numbers he's putting up now...and that gif is still missing 2 of his pitches I think.

That said, this is how Joey feels about Darvish and his admirers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_25825925&v=3

...shhhhhhh!
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Turn Off Ads?