Turn Off Ads?

Thread: George Jones dead at 81 R.I.P.

George Jones dead at 81 R.I.P.

George Jones, Country Music Hall of Famer Dies At 81
    10:24 AM, Apr 26, 2013
    By Peter Cooper, The Tennessean

"The King of Broken Hearts" just broke many more.

Country Music Hall of Famer George Jones, a master of sad country ballads whose voice held the bracing power, the sweetness and the burn of an evening's final pull from a bourbon bottle, has died after an illness that hosptialized him since April 18. He was 81, and was often called the greatest male vocalist in country music history.

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/234...mer-Dies-At-81
    Last edited by redsfandan; 04-26-2013 at 10:50 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: George Jones dead at 81 R.I.P.

He stopped loving her today.
    R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

My all time favorite country singer, a sad day indeed. Saw him in a barn in Georgia once and on top of Nob Hill in San Francisco another time. The crowds were quite different I can assure you of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk

RIP, George... Haven't called my Dad - sure he's in mourning right now, one of his favs (mine as well).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    He stopped loving her today.
    That's the first thing I thought of when I heard he'd passed.

R.I.P., Possum

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My all time favorite country singer, a sad day indeed. Saw him in a barn in Georgia once and on top of Nob Hill in San Francisco another time. The crowds were quite different I can assure you of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi3GgoLtlWk
    I saw him at a bar in Conway SC several years ago and again at a bowling alley in Franklin OH several months ago. He didn't have another song left in him when he was done and he put on a fine show for an octogenarian. I just hoped he was still touring and playing places like that because he liked playing for people and not cause he needed to money.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

8. Likes:

westofyou (04-26-2013)

This morning when I heard of his passing, it seemed like Nashville should shut down for the rest of the day out of respect. It's a sad day for country music.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    This morning when I heard of his passing, it seemed like Nashville should shut down for the rest of the day out of respect. It's a sad day for country music.
    I remember that Waylon Jennings passed away shortly after we moved here. The local country stations pretty much shut down normal programming that night and the next morning and just told stories and played old songs. Not sure if that happened this time but I wouldn't be surprised. And this morning's Tennessean had four pages plus the full 1A front devoted to Jones.

There are a lot of things to complain about with respect to modern newspapers (especially the chain-owned, and there aren't many left that aren't), but this is one thing the Tennessean does well -- pay respect to the industry giants who pass on.

Having said that, I'm not going to pretend I was the world's biggest George Jones fan. I tend to gravitate toward feel-better music and away from the melancholy, which was his bread and butter. But I certainly respect the talent, and "White Lightning" never fails to put a smile on my face.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I'm trying to think of a George Jones-appropriate venue on Nob Hill. Do you recall the name? Sure it wasn't TenderKnob?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm trying to think of a George Jones-appropriate venue on Nob Hill. Do you recall the name? Sure it wasn't TenderKnob?
    Masonic

Masonic
    Ah. Never been.

You might get a kick out of this:

Classic and true

Turn Off Ads?