Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Re: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Bochey managed circles around Dusty in the playoffs last year. He's pretty good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Redsfansince72 (04-27-2013),Roy Tucker (04-26-2013),Tom Servo (04-26-2013),TSJ55 (04-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What is it about Bochy people are so enthralled with? His handling of Brandon Belt over the last couple of seasons was awful...
    There is an aspect of managing that takes into consideration a 162 game season. Its sticking with your guns, knowing your team, and making decisions that take into consideration that your going to lose 60 games. Then there is an aspect of managing knowing when you are in a pressing situation. Knowing that decisions need to be made one pitch too soon rather than one pitch too late. Bochy managed his tail off last postseason and it showed with a WS championship. I don't particularly like the guy but he sure can manage.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There is an aspect of managing that takes into consideration a 162 game season. Its sticking with your guns, knowing your team, and making decisions that take into consideration that your going to lose 60 games. Then there is an aspect of managing knowing when you are in a pressing situation. Knowing that decisions need to be made one pitch too soon rather than one pitch too late. Bochy managed his tail off last postseason and it showed with a WS championship. I don't particularly like the guy but he sure can manage.
    Kind of off topic, but how much of last year was due to his roster? Put him on the Astros and how much does he win? Showalter did it last year with a bunch of reclamation projects and a stingy bullpen. The Giants number 4 pitcher last year would have started opening day in Baltimore. They didn't win a pennant, but they also finished about 20 games over what every major pundit predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Kind of off topic, but how much of last year was due to his roster? Put him on the Astros and how much does he win? Showalter did it last year with a bunch of reclamation projects and a stingy bullpen. The Giants number 4 pitcher last year would have started opening day in Baltimore. They didn't win a pennant, but they also finished about 20 games over what every major pundit predicted.
    95% of a team is the roster. But then you get into the playoffs and its a crapshoot. Baltimore was the 5th best team in the AL last season. They got into the playoffs because Bud wanted to add a 2nd WC.

IMO the Giants rotation is overrated. Are you really singing the praises of Lincecum and Zito?

I don't get the Showalter love,he couldn't do it with the N. Y. Yankees and Texas Rangers. I guess he is one of the hottest managers now.100 in a row is incredible.

I go on records and Gardenhire and Johnson seem to have won,Johnson wherever he went.I thought Johnson left his starter in too long against the Cardinals last year,so nobody's perfect.

Gardenhire hasn't had much to work with lately.

For all his faults,Baker is also a winner.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 04-26-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    May the Lord bless

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO the Giants rotation is overrated. Are you really singing the praises of Lincecum and Zito?

Are you denying the work put in managing this rotation?

SP Jake Arrieta
    SP Wei-Yin Chen
    SP Miguel Gonzalez
    SP Jason Hammel
    SP Tommy Hunter
    SP Brian Matusz
    SP Chris Tillman

2012 Orioles pitching stats
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 04-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Bochey managed circles around Dusty in the playoffs last year. He's pretty good.
    I think posters here are of the opinion that a person off the street could manage circles around Dusty.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd put Dusty at the top or right near the top. That's mainly because I see the tactician portion of a managers job to be the smallest portion. He's clearly a weak tactician...but outside of that, he's the best manager of people in sports that I've seen in a looooong while.

11. Likes:

Mutaman (05-10-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I think posters here are of the opinion that a person off the street could manage circles around Dusty.
    Not nearly as many as I'm sure you'd probably like to think. It's just that the haters seem to feel the need to remind us how they feel about Dusty on a daily basis.

13. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Give me Bochy's pitching staff, and I could be league average.

Let me repeat, the Orioles have won 100 games in a row when leading after 7 innings. That is incredible. I think the majority of manager's job is handled off the field, but Showalter's late game management is unreal. I know its the players responsible for the result, but he always seems to bring in the correct reliever or pinch hitter to come up clutch.

Joe Maddon comes in at 2nd for me. I just like his glasses though.
    Uhhmm , league average ??? That's why bochi is the best. They haven't been league average. They've won 2 of 3 WS.

Bochi. And it's not close
    Last edited by SweetLou1990; 04-26-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Davey has to be in the conversation with Bochy imho. Noone expected the Nationals to do last year what they did. Johnson deciding to bring Harper up when he did despite a ton of criticism, getting maximum value from retreads like Ankiel, sticking with Desmond until he became an all star and then sitting Strasburg are all representative of his long career. Also has a ring. Four time reviver of moribund franchises including Mets, O's, Nats and....who else was it...oh yeah, us. And we didn't treat him well. Had only one losing season in his entire managerial career (Dodgers).

And, really interesting, this just discovered link to Branch Rickey. Very cool.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/...y-johnson-nats

BTW, way too early to form any view and the numbers in Toronto weren't so good but have to like how John Farrell has been doing out of the gate in Boston with a franchise that was on the ropes in a big way.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Hmm, who is the best Manager in the game today?

My vote, whoever has the best pitching staff.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

RadfordVA (04-27-2013)

I'm a big Maddon fan so I'd go with him. Showalter is also really, really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I got to watch Jason Bay bat lead off last night. Just thought i'd share.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

20. Likes:

marcshoe (04-27-2013),RadfordVA (04-27-2013)

I have disliked Showalter for a long time, and it's hard for me to give him credit, but yeah, he's done a tremendous job in Baltimore.

Dusty's underrated.

Mike Matheney's impressed me in his short stint with the Cardinals.

Leyland is Leyland is Leyland.

Maddon has proven his worth as well.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?